The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Is Our Year

Scorvat

There's hardly a point in putting the East into a "total playoff contenders" record, seeing as we play the East only in the finals. The record in the West is much more indicative of how well we will probably do.

A contender but not a serious one. Canucks are challenged both up front and on the back end. Pretty solid in net.

If the Canucks have a solid 1st Round, even if they lose, it will be a positive season. The experience for the younger players is a step forward for next year. Utica is in the thick of a Calder Cup run so a double benefit is happening. Van can bring their crop of CHL youngsters either to Van or Utica for the experience. Their playing is highly unlikely but the experience has to benefit their development. Exciting times for the development system.

I would peg the Canucks as underdogs in a best of seven match up against all of the teams in the western conference. So, being an underdog, winning a series = upset.

Contenders don't upset other teams. If the Canucks qualify for the playoffs (which is likely to happen), they will have to upset a lot of teams to make it to the finals. Anything is possible, but I'm going to have to say that best case scenario is the Canucks make it to second round and gets bounced by the Ducks. If this is what happens, then for me, this will have been a wildly successful season for the Canucks.

IMO, Canucks won't get past the second round because our best players don't match up well against any of the opposing best players (other than vs. the Flames). For the Canucks to get out of the first round, they are going to need a lot of secondary scoring since the Sedins are unlikely to outplay the opposing best players for four games in any best of seven series.

Canucks are contenders? Not yet.

We aren't top contenders but assuming we face Calgary in the first round, we have a decent chance of getting through to Anaheim in the second, who I also think we could beat. If that happens, then at that point I am willing to say anything is possible. We have the blend of youth and experience that can make for a cinderella run. But all the stars would have to align, as would be the case for any non-dominant team.

Yes we are.

Been saying it since September. I just wish JB had added an asset at the deadline. Would have preferred stewart over Sven at the deadline. Oh well...

Still one of the top 5 contenders and if healthy we can win the cup - in spite of the league being fixed and managed by the zebras and bettman.

Cup contenders? I seriously doubt it. (I don't think the defense is up for the task)

I was mentally prepared to go 1-2 seasons without even making the playoffs while they 're-tool' the team. The season has been a pleasant surprise.

I'll be really happy if they get into the playoffs, as everyone should be. Unfortunately there hasn't been a game in a long time that the defense doesn't make alot of major errors. Edler and Sbisa are the worst offenders, Hamhuis has made alot lately too. Errors from your core D end up with goals in the back of your net. Bieksa doesn't look that bad , and Tanev looks good...but you need all working alot tighter together.

Playoff hockey you only need 1-3 goals to win alot of the time...but you gotta play shut-down hockey. Also you gotta grind it out with teams like CHI, ANA, NSH, STL in a 7 game series. If you do come out of the west, you are pretty beat up.

Who seriously thought with all the injuries and Miller out the last 1/3 of the season that the Canucks would even have a chance at the post-season? Not me....but I am pretty stoked to watch hockey for at least another couple weeks.

We are of course as others have said "contenders" as is every team that gets into the playoffs. But I think I know what you mean which is; are we serious contenders?

So if that is the real question.....ask me once we get into the Final. Then I'd say yes.

Stats and predictions mean nothing to me personally when this team can lose to Buffalo , Arizona , Phoenix , ext. at any given time. Wake me when the second round starts. Hell , we might not even get a first round.

Results not stats. Stats mean nothing to me as a nucks fan

This is what we need to win the cup

First Round:

ANA - WPG (4-2) MTL - BOS (4-1)

VAN - CAL (4-2/3) TB - DET (4-2)

NSH - MIN (4-2) NYR - WSH (4-1)

STL - CHI (4-3) PIT - NYI (2-4)

Second Round:

ANA - VAN (3-4) MTL - TB (3-4)

NSH - STL (3-4) NYR - NYI (2-4)

Third Round:

STL - VAN (1-4) TB - NYI (3-4)

SCF:

NYI - VAN (4-2)

Any team that makes the playoffs has to be considered. Do I think we have a chance? H**l yes!. Do I realistically expect it? Um...no, not this year. Too inconsistent, only one real sniper to concentrate on, PP has been off badly until recently. I believe that as we get deeper in the playoffs, the lack of size in the "D" will catch up to us...d**n it.

Things I like:

Vrbata can do solo scoring all by his oneness. That is a threat we haven't had in a long long time.

Mathias can actually score on breakaways. Unlike Mason Raymond who would cut to the boards circle and cycle and lose the puck.

The Sedins and XXXXX are solid on both ends of the ice. +/- doesn't lie.

Lack and Miller...we don't have to worry about goaltending depth.

Depth of our D-men. How long did we have a sabotaged d core and are still in playoff contention. That's depth.

We can roll four lines. But if he had to pare down to three lines, I am sure the offensive punch could be much greater.

I think the outlook is good!

Archived