The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Sven Baertschi Recalled by Vancouver

Smiley2051

You would think?

But I believe that its important that Horvats line has been a classic 4th line PLUS. It has been about speed, which Sven brings. But also puck pressure, big hits, harassing the other team. And crashing the net. It also takes defensive draws and play key defensive shifts to man up against physically big lines. These other items are not Sven's identity.

I can see him on a 3rd line with Mathias, or in a pure scoring second line. I'll be surprised if its Horvats?

It is

@HockeyAbbs: Baertschi Horvat Hansen #Canucks practice line #TSN1040

CHB_20141111_BENNING1.jpg

Benning on Radio today.

"After the game last night, I talked to Willie, and you know, we were going to maybe wait and call him up at the very end, but we said you know, lets call him up right now while he's playing real good and give him a chance you know and see where he's at."

"Miller might be ready for playoffs, might get him to play the last game. Real important to have two good goalies that can win."

So it was in the plan all along to call up Sven... you know.

Dorsett > Torres. No offense to the bowling ball, but he takes very bad penalties and gets suspended way too much.

Dorsett is controlled agression. He only has one gear. Overdrive.

The 2015 Torres sure. Post injuries and perhaps beyond adjusting mentally to the new NHL.

In 2006 Torres's classic wrecking ball style was not being weeded out just yet by the DOPS. He was one of waves of young, fast physical forwards that applied pressure, punished on the fore-check and drove the Oilers to the cup final. Just like he did with us in 2011.

Also a 5th overall pick, he was a 215 lb forward with some skills. That was evident when he played in the first round against us with the Sharks. And in 4 twenty goal seasons plus playing on top shut down lines (see Torres / Malhotra / Hansen).

I liked Raffi!

So, i know that this isn't a Jensen's thread, but where is Jensen's future with the franchise?

Might very well be a "bust" category real soon.

Might just need a change of scenery.

Maybe its time he busts out. Realizes the extra level of compete he has to exhibit?

He's safe without waivers for now and next year. No sense trading him for a reduced value. He has skill, it still may surface. And roughly a year to figure it out.

Maybe its time he busts out. Realizes the extra level of compete he has to exhibit?

He's safe without waivers for now and next year. No sense trading him for a reduced value. He has skill, it still may surface. And roughly a year to figure it out.

Good point about the waivers situation. So he still has time - as long as he's not waiver eligible. There's always going to be room for someone like Jensen to go to Utica and produce, but with the development of Baertschi (which includes the trade itself), Jensen really needs to play inspired hockey to move up permanently.

The good thing about putting him with Bo and Hansen is that he doesn't need to be the guy to get in first and win puck battles, which isn't a strng part of his game.

All he needs to focus on is making plays when the puck is on his stick, and finsihing when he has the opportunity. Something Kenins has struggled with for the past little while.

This is the first time in a while that we have some good young players in the system that can get the fans excited. With Shinkaruk heating up lately and with guys like Cassels, McCann and Virtanen being prominent players in Junior when was the last time we had a bunch of promising prospects that could potentially inject some youth into the lineup during the next few years.

Baertschi will be shielded on the fourth line, and unlike Calgary the fan base is not going to hang their hopes around his neck.

This is the perfect recipe - the ageing core can keep the team respectable and provide a winning atmosphere while these new guys get cycled into the lineup. Take note McTavish - this is how you do it...you dont trade away all your vets, give the kids multi million dollar contracts and the key to the city and in return expect miracles.

Hard to argue with the fact that he's earned a look.

Combine that with Kenins struggling and the door opens for Baertshi to bust through.

13 points and +6 in 12 games is impressive enough (and a 26.9% shooting percentage), but the team has also rung off 8 straight wins and are 10-1-1 since he arrived in Utica.

I also find him to be extremely well-spoken in his interviews - really credits Green a great deal with his development as a player, and seems to have a very level-headed perspective.

Very excited to see him on a line with the Honey Badger and Horvat - they could be a bloody dangerous line and pose some matchup nightmares for teams that don't have a particularly strong bottom six or third pairing.

The good thing about putting him with Bo and Hansen is that he doesn't need to be the guy to get in first and win puck battles, which isn't a strng part of his game.

All he needs to focus on is making plays when the puck is on his stick, and finsihing when he has the opportunity. Something Kenins has struggled with for the past little while.

That's what worried me about him being on that line.

Kenins also got in hard on the fore-check.

The line does have a different identity now. I suppose they should bury more of the chances they were creating. But will they still get them without the same semblance of pressure?

Or maybe I am dead wrong? Baertschi is greyhound fast. Maybe he gets in as hard as anyone... We'll find out soon!

(Also plays into Willie's philosophy of starting guys on the 4th line / 3rd pair regardless of...)

This is the first time in a while that we have some good young players in the system that can get the fans excited. With Shinkaruk heating up lately and with guys like Cassels, McCann and Virtanen being prominent players in Junior when was the last time we had a bunch of promising prospects that could potentially inject some youth into the lineup during the next few years.

Baertschi will be shielded on the fourth line, and unlike Calgary the fan base is not going to hang their hopes around his neck.

This is the perfect recipe - the ageing core can keep the team respectable and provide a winning atmosphere while these new guys get cycled into the lineup. Take note McTavish - this is how you do it...you dont trade away all your vets, give the kids multi million dollar contracts and the key to the city and in return expect miracles.

This^

And yes McTavish should listen.

(Although Calgary did start to bust the door down playing Monahan, now Gaudreau this year)

That's what worried me about him being on that line.

Kenins also got in hard on the fore-check.

The line does have a different identity now. I suppose they should bury more of the chances they were creating. But will they still get them without the same semblance of pressure?

Or maybe I am dead wrong? Baertschi is greyhound fast. Maybe he gets in as hard as anyone... We'll find out soon!

(Also plays into Willie's philosophy of starting guys on the 4th line / 3rd pair regardless of...)

They'll likely lose some of their grind, but I'm hoping it leads to more plays off the rush where they use their speed to back up defenders, instead of always dumping and chasing.

Archived