The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-signing] Oilers extend Yakupov 2 years

I would love to hear how their stats are comparable. Please, enlighten us all.

RNH:

132 points in 182 games.

Yakupov:

88 points in 192 games.

Not too different in stats once you factor in that one is a centre vs a winger. By using RNH as a reference point, Yakupov probably should have gotten like 4 million.

RNH:

132 points in 182 games.

Yakupov:

88 points in 192 games.

Not too different in stats once you factor in that one is a centre vs a winger. By using RNH as a reference point, Yakupov probably should have gotten like 4 million.

If contracts were based solely on point stats, then yes. However, they both play on the same awful team. One of them is arguably the most one dimensional player in the league, but produces at a Lee Stempniak rate. The other is actually learning how to play a sound, two way game. I'll let you guess which one is which.

And just so we're all clear, I hate the Oilers and every single player on that team. So this isn't some biased, homer opinion.

He will breakout next year, mark my words! Lol

He was much better towards the end of the season, he clearly wants to stay in Edmonton, if he plays with their top 6 which I'm sure he will, he can get 50-60pts. He will be a fun player to watch next year.

Yakupov seemed to have been better since Oilers fired Dallas Eakins. Actually, the whole Oilers team seemed to have played much better since.

I think this is a decent contract. At best, he developed into a Top 6 player with a decent cap hit for 2 years. At worst, he is movable at trade deadline for a team that want to take a chance on a project within the next 2 years.

Not like Oilers have many forward prospects that will be able to make strong impact on the team anyway, give Yakupov 2 more years and see if they can get a decent head coach to turn him into a good / decent player.

Inconsistent scoring. Poor work ethic.

Won't back check or help out on D.

Should have tried to trade for a D-man.

Enjoy Edmonton.

Exactly. Glad to see the Coilers keepin on with whatever madness strategy they're into. Perhaps at this pace they'll find their way into 26th place next year...

Not sure if serious - but suggesting that RNH, Eberle or Hall are guys that Edmonton can't trade is ludicrous.

They're all young 60 point players in a bad year. You are deluded if you think they could have re-signed any of them for the kind of money Yakupov is getting.

Edmonton's futility is not a result of those three players contracts. Try again. Hall would be a very easy player to move - he and Yakupov would be the first two I'd ship out and convert into other assets.

Their contracts make it more difficult to trade them. I am not saying they can not be traded - RNH could definitely be moved but a value contract makes a player easier to move - common sense point. I said they can't trade them as "easily".

I also did not say they would be signed for the same money as Yak but 6 million is not value. I am for shorter term value contracts for younger players until they prove themselves. Look at Skinner on the Canes... In fact there is a thread called bad contracts - look it over...

Once again you are putting words in my mouth. Hall can be traded but your return is not as good. He has shown the potential to be injury prone - I am not saying he can not be traded only that the return will be affected by his contract. Again these are common sense points - hardly controversial imo.

I can see you are ready to pick superficial arguments with me. I am not saying anything that controversial.

2.5 is the right money for Yak - he is not a draft bust yet. Short term - basic dollars - there are 4th line players paid more than that. They should have done the same thing with Hall, RNH and Ebs.

Edmonton has dug its own grave with the other big 3 contracts.

They fapped themselves into a serious premature dollar squirt on Hall, RNH and Ebs. Now they are locked in and can't even trade them easily because of those contracts.

Their contracts make it more difficult to trade them. I am not saying they can not be traded - RNH could definitely be moved but a value contract makes a player easier to move - common sense point. I said they can't trade them as "easily".

I also did not say they would be signed for the same money as Yak but 6 million is not value. I am for shorter term value contracts for younger players until they prove themselves. Look at Skinner on the Canes... In fact there is a thread called bad contracts - look it over...

Once again you are putting words in my mouth. Hall can be traded but your return is not as good. He has shown the potential to be injury prone - I am not saying he can not be traded only that the return will be affected by his contract. Again these are common sense points - hardly controversial imo.

I can see you are ready to pick superficial arguments with me. I am not saying anything that controversial.

You made your bed making silly, slanted claims (not surprising coming from a Flames diehard) - and no, I'm not putting words in your mouth - at all.

If you don't want to be called on making dramatic overstatements, perhaps you shouldn't post nonsense to the effect Edmonton "dug its grave" with those contracts, and are now "locked in".

Using superficial masturbation references doesn't help to make your weak point. Their problems don't revolve around paying their marquis young players - they revolve around their inability to assess which young players are ready for the NHL, and which need time to develop - rushing all of them in foolishly, and at the same time, utterly failing to build a balanced team around the ones that are ready.

You made your bed making silly, slanted claims (not surprising coming from a Flames diehard) - and no, I'm not putting words in your mouth - at all.

If you don't want to be called on making dramatic overstatements, perhaps you shouldn't post nonsense to the effect Edmonton "dug its grave" with those contracts, and are now "locked in".

Using superficial masturbation references doesn't help to make your weak point. Their problems don't revolve around paying their marquis young players - they revolve around their inability to assess which young players are ready for the NHL, and which need time to develop - rushing all of them in foolishly, and at the same time, utterly failing to build a balanced team around the ones that are ready.

The Oilers were very "excited" and "premature" about their rebuild in the beginning and those contracts were mistakes.

If you think the contracts they gave Hall, Ebs and RNH are good value contracts then just say it. I could use something to add to my sig.

The Oilers were very "excited" and "premature" about their rebuild in the beginning and those contracts were mistakes.

If you think the contracts they gave Hall, Ebs and RNH are good value contracts then just say it. I could use something to add to my sig.

corbis_rf_photo_of_dog_chasing_tail.jpg

If I were starting a team I would take any of those contracts on my team in a heartbeat. You can add me to your sig or whatever.

Archived