The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Edmonton Oilers win the McDavid Sweepstakes

Zfetch

I actually believe the Canucks will be one of the better teams to shut down McDavid. Having players like Horvat, McCann, Cassels, and Gaunce who all played around or with McDavid at times. All those players being Conners key matchups defensively, should make it entertaining none the less

He's the best prospect since crosby so you have to treat him as such. Would Pittsburgh make that trade after they won the lottery? No and neither should the oilers. Crosby had no NHL experience either.

The Penguins at least belonged in the NHL at that point. Don't be surprised if McDavid's agent makes some quiet inquiries about getting him out of that trainwreck in order to save his career.

The Penguins at least belonged in the NHL at that point. Don't be surprised if McDavid's agent makes some quiet inquiries about getting him out of that trainwreck in order to save his career.

Nah mcdavid won't have an issue. I saw an interview I think before the world juniors saying he would never be that guy who doesn't report to team who drafted him and he found that disrespectful. He reiterated that point to Bob Mackenzie a few days ago. His dad told him to never be THAT guy and he said he's going to follow that advice. Mcdavid isn't a diva.

If Edmonton wins a cup before Vancouver I am done with the NHL and it's stupid setup.

Rewarding teams for bad management or intentionally tanking is ridiculous. If they would remove the cap at least so teams that are trying to compete can since all the young talent goes to the buttholes of the league there would still be a little parity.

So here's hoping that those that predict the Oilers will still lose are correct. I doubt the NHL would miss me much but I'll miss it less.

One problem. Edmonton isn't tanking. They're just bad.

Nah mcdavid won't have an issue. I saw an interview I think before the world juniors saying he would never be that guy who doesn't report to team who drafted him and he found that disrespectful. He reiterated that point to Bob Mackenzie a few days ago. His dad told him to never be THAT guy and he said he's going to follow that advice. Mcdavid isn't a diva.

He still had that look on his face of a kid who got an awful Christmas present but was raised too well to say anything.

I'm not saying he won't report, but I wouldn't be surprised if word quietly got out that he'd rather play for an organization that isn't Edmonton.

There's a middle ground. He can still be willing to report while informing the management that he really would prefer not to. Requesting for a trade out of Edmonton isn't being a diva; the city is one of the worst in the NHL to live in and the team's management is grossly incompetent.

There's a middle ground. He can still be willing to report while informing the management that he really would prefer not to. Requesting for a trade out of Edmonton isn't being a diva; the city is one of the worst in the NHL to live in and the team's management is grossly incompetent.

That's not a middle ground. That's semantics and a loophole. Mcdavid will report and there will be no behind the scenes shenanigans. He's said too many times that he will report to whatever team that drafts him without a problem.

Here's the Mackenzie interview.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-strome-prepared-for-all-lottery-outcomes-1.260030

Everytime they get another high first pick people post their potential lineup and go on about how deadly they'll be.

Hall McDavid Eberle

Pouliot Nuge Yakupov

Draisaitl

What's wrong with this roster though?

It's more of the same type of players. You can't build a team with all skilled forwards. Even if they somehow managed to make the playoffs, they would get pounded into the ground by bigger teams.

The only way they fix this is if they trade Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov for a young stud D-man and a legit power forward .

Nuge for Jones

Yakupov for Wilson

Hall McDavid Wilson

Pouliot Draisaitl Eberle

Jones Nurse

so is Sidney Crosby.

The Pens also had Malkin, Fleury, Staal, and Letang.

Edmonton has a good foundation, but will need to make some tough trades to fill in the holes.

If they just go status quo and don't trade anyone, it will be more of the same.

The Pens also had Malkin, Fleury, Staal, and Letang.

Edmonton has a good foundation, but will need to make some tough trades to fill in the holes.

If they just go status quo and don't trade anyone, it will be more of the same.

Yes, exactly. Chicago got Toews and Kane in short order, but they also had Seabrook, Keith, Sharp, Byfuglien etc etc etc

You don't just become a contender because you draft 8 of the same forward.

They have a ton to work with now...still another 1st round pick this year and I believe two 2nds. With the right moves they can really change things in the right direction. Maybe a package of a previous 1st overall plus pick for OEL...either way a ton of options. Too bad they have such a clown running things. Imagine what a real GM could do with that team.

For those who say it's not rigged because Edmonton got the pick; maybe the league ultimately wants to relocate the oilers to Seattle. Similar to the nordiques to Colorado. Wouldn't that suck!?

They have a new arena and don't have attendance problems despite stinking for so long. Arizona is more likely to be Seattle bound one day. Bettman wanted mcdavid in a US market so Edmonton was the worse place for him to end up business wise for the nhl.

For those who say it's not rigged because Edmonton got the pick; maybe the league ultimately wants to relocate the oilers to Seattle. Similar to the nordiques to Colorado. Wouldn't that suck!?

No, Edmonton deserves an NHL team. They won't get one while the Oilers are still in town.

They have a new arena and don't have attendance problems despite stinking for so long. Arizona is more likely to be Seattle bound one day. Bettman wanted mcdavid in a US market so Edmonton was the worse place for him to end up business wise for the nhl.[/quote

If Edmonton was the worst place business wise does the new arena really matter to them. Bigger money in Seattle. Arizona could easily go to Las Vegas or Houston.

If Edmonton was the worst place business wise does the new arena really matter to them. Bigger money in Seattle. Arizona could easily go to Las Vegas or Houston.

I'm not sure your point here. Teams usually move in all sports either due to no new arena or bad attendance problems and Edmonton has neither so aren't in the danger of moving. You're aware that the cdn teams make up a lot of total nhl revenue right? Which is why the salary cap is affected by the cdn dollar. You move Edmonton and you lose a ton of revenue for the league.

Archived