The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

He had a better winning % before his injury which is the only stat that is really important, anyone with a brain would know that was more then 90% likely to continue if he wasn't hurt. The team also plays different depending on who's in net and my assumption is at least based off of of Eddie playing us down to down 3-1. Not all on him but he needed to come up bigger to succeed in the playoffs. Not allow 3 goals on 7 shots and lose the game in the first period that basically required us to win the next 180 minutes in a row with a cold netminder coming off injury. It's not all on him but everyone on the team is at fault for what happened to a degree.

Miller should of come up bigger in game 6, but most of the goals scored on him were fantastic, especially the gwg, as a hockey player I have no idea how he picked that corner, thats 100% opinionated by the viewer though.

Obviously nothing I can type no matter how logical I feel it is will get through to you because you're clearly a massive fan of eddie lack, but I feel I'm right and I have alot of truths backing me up. If you feel you're right then thats fine I have no hate for how you feel. But I'm not "wrong" you just feel differently.

Spot on, I hope they get what they can for Lack

So Edler is "awful" and will also get a "very good return"? Did you think that through before posting it?

Obviously a lot more than you did LMAO

Its funny that Ray Ferraro thinks exactly the same thing as I posted.

You think Edler is great? LOL

Edler would have and still would fetch O'reilly plus picks or/and prospects ! I would call that a great return for a freakin useless butter fingers defenseman that doesn't hit ! Oh and is excellent at coughing up the puck that leads to the other team scoring most of the time !

You should really put some thought into your posts there LOL

You are just absolutely wrong. Sure, Edler can force some plays out of frustration but without him this team would have been a lottery team. We have nobody else in the same hemisphere as Edler when it comes to seperating the puck from an opponent and making skilled plays. Here's a hint, top D do both of those things not one or the other. He was responsible for 1 Pizza against Calgary and kept Calgary's top line invisible for almost the entire series, while Sbisa was on for 3/4 of Calgary's goals. Get your facts right. The fact is with 10 more points Edler is getting Norris consideration.

Calgary's mediocre D beat us because they are fast or physical and our forwards are neither fast, skilled or physical as a group. It took 5 games to even get someone to go to the net on them.

Edler is a bum with the odd flash of a hint of something.

Most of the time he is just bobbling the puck or missing a check. He is well known as butter fingers Edler. He cant shoot anymore. He cant think anymore. He can only pass to apposing players. He has forgot how to hit. Or that he should hit.

Quite frankly id be surprised if he even remembers his name!

Everyone calls this a bounce back season for him. I think those people read news papers instead of watching Edler play hockey.

Its like Ferraro said: "if he is insulated as a 4th or 5th defenseman then he might be able to bring a somewhat solid game where his mistakes are not as noticeable"

WE need him to be a #1 dman but he is not even close.

Edlers true value to the Vanouver Canucks is to trade him for a solid 2nd line center !

We have guys to replace him and his non existent shot.

Our D got embarrassed and exposed by Calgary of all teams LOL

I really cant figure out why people are so in love with Edler? Maybe its his baby face blue eyes and his beautiful silky blonde hair. I dunno. Cause sure as hell isn't because of his hockey play !!!

First priority should be to get Bieksa and Hamhuis new contracts since we can't afford to lose them in the next two years. Without them our defence will be completely lacking nhl players

we should also consider dealing some of our prospects for proven players who can help us win NOW.

Deal Virtanen and our 1st for established players such as Jason Spezza, Iginla, Joe Thorton, Marlaeu. We need to be able to compete while the core is capable. If you ask me we're just a few key pieces from being a cup champ.

Also need to retain Richardson. he's a beast. let matthas walk

If we can deal our prospects for the right players we could have a line up like this next year.

Sedin Sedin Iginla

Verbata (Thorton / Spezza) Baer

Burrows Richardson Bonino

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Bieksa Tanev

Edler Hamhuis

Sbisa Corrado/Clandening

If you ask them thats a world class team which is just a few piece away if we move prospects

How old are you dude ?

A lot of things need change, and i'm of the opinion that a re-tool isn't enough.

1. Looking like the Sedins are going to retire with the Canucks. As much as they've done for us, I'm against keeping BOTH of them. $14 million for 2 players that lack offense in the playoffs, fall off their prime, and retire at the same time is not good at all. If possible, trade at least 1 of them (on the assumption we get good value back).

You really think one Sedin would waive to play a part from one another? They've been playing together for their whole careers.

And for the thousandth time, Sedins' offense is not the problem, the team's secondary scoring is.

I would really like to see horvat take over our 2nd line role and hope shinkurak can bring the game he has found in Utica over the past month or so to Vancouver next season and have a kid line with kassian. Vancouver really needs and energetic line like that IMO. Training camps going to be fun. Should answer a lot of questions for us.

While I agree that our D corps needs fixing, I don't see it happening this summer. None of the free agent D look like a big improvement to me, and none of our prospects are quite ready yet. In a year's time, one or two of Subban, Hutton and Pedan could be ready and maybe there would be some better free agents. For now, I'd rather concentrate on moving or clearing contracts (Hamhuis, Bieksa) to create cap space down the road, and keeping useful players like Corrado, Clendenning, Stanton, Sanguinetti and Biega to tide us over and see if they develop.

We have a lot of good youth coming into the system over the next couple of years. Replacement level and tweener level players we can generate from within. So what I'd like to see us do is clear cap space for a couple of high end free agents in a year or two's time. Moving Miller, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins, Matthais would clear a ton of space and Vrbata also clears in two years. We need to give this team a heart transplant and a skill infusion. Next summer and the one after are the time to strike: for now, we should just be preparing.

The vets to keep are the Sedins, Burrows and Hansen.

Hoff is a UFA, may not want to come here, but worth the phone call. If we could find one defensive beast out there it would help, still think we should have grabbed Olsen. Hammer just looks like he has lost a step out there.

Edler is a bum with the odd flash of a hint of something.

Most of the time he is just bobbling the puck or missing a check. He is well known as butter fingers Edler. He cant shoot anymore. He cant think anymore. He can only pass to apposing players. He has forgot how to hit. Or that he should hit.

Quite frankly id be surprised if he even remembers his name!

Everyone calls this a bounce back season for him. I think those people read news papers instead of watching Edler play hockey.

Its like Ferraro said: "if he is insulated as a 4th or 5th defenseman then he might be able to bring a somewhat solid game where his mistakes are not as noticeable"

WE need him to be a #1 dman but he is not even close.

Edlers true value to the Vanouver Canucks is to trade him for a solid 2nd line center !

We have guys to replace him and his non existent shot.

Our D got embarrassed and exposed by Calgary of all teams LOL

I really cant figure out why people are so in love with Edler? Maybe its his baby face blue eyes and his beautiful silky blonde hair. I dunno. Cause sure as hell isn't because of his hockey play !!!

Every team in the league has scouts to view players throughout the league. If edler is as bad as you say (which generally he isn't), then surely a professional scout would see it too. Why the hell would a team like Colorado give up O'Reilly PLUS picks for a guy like him, even if he was only half as bad as you say? Assuming he was that bad, if we don't want him then why would other teams at that price? It just doesn't make sense.

For example, would you pay Tanev plus pucks for a much lambasted player like dion phaneuf? I sure as hell wouldn't, and that's probably a pretty fair comparison to what you're making.

The D is hooped. Thats where they need to concentrate. Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis need replacingwith some big tough D men. The fix is up to Bening, but right now there are so many problems with this team and coach.

Hammer and Bieksa stay and Edler goes. Sbisa and Bieksa as the 3rd pairing is fine. Tanev and Hamhuis as 1st pairing and then maybe sign Franson to fill in on the 2nd pair. Would still need a left shot d man to play 2nd pairing

Archived