The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too spoiled or jaded as fans to just appreciate what the team did this season?

iinatcc

No way is this fanbase spoiled. CHI fans and LA fans are spoiled, 2 cups in 3 years, then CHI With thier cups and are always a force in the playoffs, so no we arent spoiled.

Well if you're counting only cups are being "spoiled" what does that make franchises like the maple leafs or sabres or islanders who have been terrible non-playoff contenders for long stretches of time in their history?

At least the Canucks have been a top 5 team in the west for as long as they have.. No cup, but they have done very well aside from that in the last 10 years, in my opinion.

I don't think its very fair to base it all on just a cup.. One team each season of of all the teams in the NHL will win it.. It takes luck and good fortune almost as much as it takes a solid and healthy team.

No way is this fanbase spoiled. CHI fans and LA fans are spoiled, 2 cups in 3 years, then CHI With thier cups and are always a force in the playoffs, so no we arent spoiled.

Try not making the playoffs for a decade, and then you'll see how good we've had it.

We're not the only team not winning the cup every year.

Try not making the playoffs for a decade, and then you'll see how good we've had it.

DeNiro I couldn't have said it any better!

The problem is the fans who tune in post deadline day, and decide to have an interest in hockey when the team is going to make or is in the playoffs. They are the ones who complain endlessly about following the team for x number of years and feeling cheated when we lose.

Too often I had people, who never even mentioned hockey once in my duration of knowing them (and well aware I am a fan) act like they sacrificed so much for so long and the Canucks let them down after the series against Boston.

Early this season was a breath of fresh area. The Tortorella season created a purge of all the fairweather "fans", leaving only those who appreciate the sport and support the team. Of course, they all flooded back come playoff time.

Being stuck in mediocrity sucks aswell though, coupled with all the heartbreaks over the years.

DeNiro I couldn't have said it any better!

The problem is the fans who tune in post deadline day, and decide to have an interest in hockey when the team is going to make or is in the playoffs. They are the ones who complain endlessly about following the team for x number of years and feeling cheated when we lose.

Too often I had people, who never even mentioned hockey once in my duration of knowing them (and well aware I am a fan) act like they sacrificed so much for so long and the Canucks let them down after the series against Boston.

Early this season was a breath of fresh area. The Tortorella season created a purge of all the fairweather "fans", leaving only those who appreciate the sport and support the team. Of course, they all flooded back come playoff time.

Basically people care about how the team does in the playoffs? Who knew?

This year Canucks achieved a lot cant expect them to be a better team than that. They made it to the playoffs and other teams are there to who deserves or are just better. we cant cry like a baby and complain.. we are great group of fans who support their team way to much..people saying that they are hurt the way the lost but the team was in Calgary you think it didn't hurt them that they couldn't bring the next game home. we r fans who want them to win the cup but its their careers. Sedins be thinking if they ever gonna win the cup. you think they don't want couple of rings before they retire. don't think they r not fighting for it. believe in the team. something big is coming guys get ready for it. if they don't win a cup, Im pretty sure they will be a team that no team would wanna step against...admit it guys Calgary's younger players were just better who r there to get what they deserve...I have my faith in this team

I think it's a lack of hope. People know that this core isn't capable of having any chance of winning the cup so it just feels like treading water until a new nucleus replaces it. This team has been a pretty good regular season team for quite a while so that is probably something that we are spoiled with.

Nice to see the OP have positive things to say about his/her fellow fans. B)

Jaded.

I think most Canucks fans are sick of putting hope into the same group of players, only to be disappointed again.

And again.

For 40 years.

12 other teams have never won a stanley cup either. several for just as long as us. Looking at previous winners it seems 40+ years between winning a cup is pretty normal. Ive seen several posts saying anything less than a cup is failure. Well if thats the case why even bother watching hockey? Just tune in at the playoffs and cheer for whoever the favorite is.

12 other teams have never won a stanley cup either. several for just as long as us. Looking at previous winners it seems 40+ years between winning a cup is pretty normal. Ive seen several posts saying anything less than a cup is failure. Well if thats the case why even bother watching hockey? Just tune in at the playoffs and cheer for whoever the favorite is.

Exactly - or become a CFL fan, with 9 teams a championship is a lot easier to win.

Being stuck in mediocrity sucks aswell though, coupled with all the heartbreaks over the years.

Since joining the NHL in 2000 Columbus has made the playoffs twice: 2009 (0-4) and 2014 (2-4). I don't think you know the meaning of mediocrity.

Since joining the NHL in 2000 Columbus has made the playoffs twice: 2009 (0-4) and 2014 (2-4). I don't think you know the meaning of mediocrity.

I'm thinking that it's you that doesn't know it. There's mediocre and then there's just downright horrible.

Taking 14 years to win a playoff game = Downright Horrible

Archived