The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too spoiled or jaded as fans to just appreciate what the team did this season?

iinatcc

You'd probably say the same thing regardless of how we lost.

It was a great season to build off next year.

having a 3-0 lead in the first period and then losing 7-4 and getting eliminated is a crap way to go out

regardless of how good or bad the team was or what expectations were

Unlike the Senators and Jets, there was indication that we would go for a rebuild. Instead a year passed and with nothing to show for it.

Let's see....

- Miller and Vrbata signed as ufa's

- Bonino, Sbisa, and Vey added via trade

- Horvat, Weber, and Kenins taking spots

A full third of the team replaced along with a new President, GM, and Coaches. Yet we still had a 100+ point season.

Just how much change did you expect for one year?

It's cup or bust. I don't understand how this sentiment is lost on so many people. If you don't win the cup, then you have to make changes which will bring you closer to achieving that. This is why jets fans, sabers fans, may appear giddy. They have a reason to be optimistic.

The canucks management group has lost a lot of good will by that sbisa signing. Others may point to some of Benning's earlier transactions but this is what opened the flood gates. Benning is still capable of earning back that good will, however due to recent events many of us are pessimistic and frankly scared.

I can understand the logic to have guys like Sedins and Hammer in the lineup. However what is the point of keeping a Kevin Bieksa? At least with guys like Clendening and corrado, there is a chance they can become serviceable NHL players. Guys like Hansen and Higgins are so one dimensional. They are quailty role players, but really contribute nothing towards making that end goal.

All in all, i would like this organization to give more opportunities to their young players. Those players are going to make mistakes, but it could maybe lead somewhere opposed to being a place holder.

There are always things to discuss and nitpick, it's a big part of the reason this forum exists and by and large I have no problem with it.

But this season I am a little confused, this is one of the more entertaining years I can remember, Trev vowed to put fun back in the game and he delivered on his promise, first round exit or not I was thrilled with the product Trev/Benning and Wille put out there this year, they were definitely worth paying to see, more so, I would say, then our presidents trophy team of 11/12.

Some people think the Canucks have never had an identity, I disagree, Canucks hockey has always been fast-paced, offensive, risk taking not afraid to drop the gloves hockey, a kind of freewheeling, organized choas, that has usually made this team one of the more interesting to follow over the last 15 years or so.

I even made a donation to Canucks place because I so highly approved of the on-ice product this year, with Trev steering the ship we've got someone in charge who can tell the difference between some thing worth paying to see and something not even worth the time on TV.

All in alll I am totally satisfied with what the Canucks are putting out there, this season may have been short but this season was GOOD

It's cup or bust. I don't understand how this sentiment is lost on so many people. If you don't win the cup, then you have to make changes which will bring you closer to achieving that. This is why jets fans, sabers fans, may appear giddy. They have a reason to be optimistic.

The canucks management group has lost a lot of good will by that sbisa signing. Others may point to some of Benning's earlier transactions but this is what opened the flood gates. Benning is still capable of earning back that good will, however due to recent events many of us are pessimistic and frankly scared.

I can understand the logic to have guys like Sedins and Hammer in the lineup. However what is the point of keeping a Kevin Bieksa? At least with guys like Clendening and corrado, there is a chance they can become serviceable NHL players. Guys like Hansen and Higgins are so one dimensional. They are quailty role players, but really contribute nothing towards making that end goal.

All in all, i would like this organization to give more opportunities to their young players. Those players are going to make mistakes, but it could maybe lead somewhere opposed to being a place holder.

Bieksa is a MASSIVE part of this teams identity, he has a depth to him that allows fans to relate to him, he's not just a uniform and a number.

That sells tickets and Jerseys which = $

KB has earned the right to retire a Canuck so long as his financial expectations are realistic.

I just don't like the direction this team is heading. The motto plays on our future of youth but we don't have the prospects to back that up. Continuing to draft in the latter half of the first round won't help either. Our vets can't keep this up for much longer.

Bieksa is a MASSIVE part of this teams identity, he has a depth to him that allows fans to relate to him, he's not just a uniform and a number.

That sells tickets and Jerseys which = $

KB has earned the right to retire a Canuck so long as his financial expectations are realistic.

The identity of mailing it in and getting embarrassed in the playoffs you mean? He sure is a big part of that identity.

It never ceases to amaze me at what some in here determine is an untouchable player.

Let's see....

- Miller and Vrbata signed as ufa's

- Bonino, Sbisa, and Vey added via trade

- Horvat, Weber, and Kenins taking spots

A full third of the team replaced along with a new President, GM, and Coaches. Yet we still had a 100+ point season.

Just how much change did you expect for one year?

Resigning Weber will be the biggest mistake this team makes moving forward.

I ask and let me just say I think Canucks fans are awesome, well I am one, but I did notice that for the fans and media there's a negative cloud every end of the season since after 2011. Ok 2013 to 2014 was a disaster but I kind of felt there was a disgruntled and frustrated mood here and the media after the 2012, 2013, and 2015 playoff eliminations.

Of course one might say that a 1st round elimination is never good since the ultimate goal is always to win the cup.

But then I look at this season and the Jets fans and Sens fans and despite being eliminated via 4 games and 6 games respectively the mood of their fans is one of pride and admiration to their team. I also remember 2012 the Panthers fanbase and organization celebrated the opening of the 2013 season by putting up the Southeast Division banner and the fans were very appreciative there despite a 1st Round exit a year before.

I dunno after The Canucks elimination the reaction from the media and fans is really different from the positive reaction of the fansbase of the Jets, Pathers (2012), and Senators. While their fans saluted the team despite a 1st round exit here we seem to blame the coach, call the core stale, having no heart etc.

I don't know but considering where the team was last year and now a 101 point season, I think there is just as much a reason to be proud of The Canucks the same way the fans of other teams are proud of theirs.

You know like I said I love this team and fans but it's just an observation I noticed.

How are Canucks fans spoiled? The team doesn't have a single Stanley Cup? Or do you mean we're spoiled because we live in Vancouver the best place in Canada? In that case yes.

The identity of mailing it in and getting embarrassed in the playoffs you mean? He sure is a big part of that identity.

It never ceases to amaze me at what some in here determine is an untouchable player.

Funny, I didn't see anyone else on the Canucks keeping Ferland accountable. Even Dorsett let him off Scott free. But you're probably right, I'd rather go all skill and more heartless players and get out hit and out gooned each series because it's not like the Canucks have ever lost any series in that fashion in the past 10 years. Oh wait...

The answer is yes. Any knowledgeable fan knows this year was a tranisition year. We are building for the future not really for the now. When our young guns can come in, then I will raise my expectations. But for now making the dance is good. Would've liked to have won a round though. Still sour.

NO! im so sick of hearing "for the future" "not now" and the whole idea of "rebuild"... we must ice a competitive team each and EVERY year. players improve by playing to compete, not by tanking to get better draft picks for the "future" so many idiots think this way i dont get it!?

Quick answer: Yes.

Calgary and Winnipeg have been 'better fans' this season because their teams haven't been in the playoffs for a coons age, whereas our fans are like, so what? Call us when you have the cup. lul.

That being said, the regular season is worthless and losing in the first round is hardly exciting.

I've watched since the 80's. Always will. The regular season gets me through the winter and I rarely miss a game. That being said, at this point I would be very happy with watching a team of younger hungry players play their hearts out for 82 and possibly miss the playoffs rather than a 101 point season and get bounced by a team I just described.

But I'm not a franchise owner. And I'm sure the Aqua boys know that whatever fan base attends the Rogers experience won't have the patience over the course of a couple seasons.

So alas we are all, still, Canucks.

Jaded.

I think most Canucks fans are sick of putting hope into the same group of players, only to be disappointed again.

And again.

For 40 years.

Congrats on your lifer status.:)

There are few of you around in sure and I bet most would happily accept an accelerated youth injection

Our fans, as a whole, are crap. Don't get me wrong, not all!

Our fan base takes for granted the fact that we have a team worth cheering for. Try watching a game, in Vancouver, with fans of different Canadian teams and they will shed some light on that fact.

This team can be a bit frustrating, but the combination of that with our fans makes it simple to understand why we are probably the most hated team in the league.

Winning a championship doesn't really change anything. So say we win the cup - then what? Do we have to win the cup every year?

Hockey is for entertainment value. If we win a cup, that would provide us with the highest level of entertainment value for that year but things will drop right back to where they were if the team is unable to compete consistently at that high level.

The 94 team didn't win, but they got close and won the hearts of our fan base. It took what, 3-5 years of bad hockey before we almost lost our team due to low support (and a weak dollar).

Cheer for the team because they are your team. Vancouver is my hometown team and I will stand behind them as my favourite regardless of what happens. If I don't watch as much it is more for lack of entertainment - win or lose I hope the on ice product brings at least something exciting.

What? Lose 4-2 in a series to the Calgary Flames? - A team that was not even supposed to be in contention for years?

Or failing to win in Calgary when it maters (3 straight road losses)?

Or blowing a 3-0 lead in an elimination game?

Same story for this team since 2011. Good regular seasons...nothing in post season.

Season is a failure for me if they don't do any damage in the playoffs

Archived