The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too spoiled or jaded as fans to just appreciate what the team did this season?

iinatcc

In terms of regular season success over the last number of years, yes we are pretty spoiled rotten. The playoffs on the other hand leave a whole hell of a lot to be desired. Perhaps if we had won a cup somewhere along the way or at least made a few deep runs at it, then we could be considered spoiled overall. Personally right now, I envy the hell out of Chicago and LA, their fans are truly spoiled.

Yes. Because there are a number of bi-polar posters that think the sky is falling when the Canucks get eliminated from the playoffs that means the entire fanbase is a bunch of spoiled brats who know nothing and deserve nothing.

Be careful when you lump everyone into the same category.

i don't know how fans can determine, that the players aren't giving 100%....i saw players trying to win but came up against a better playing team....cudo's to calgary and cudo's to the canucks...the team tried to win, we did nothing.

Good Morning Joe

I can't speak for all the "Rebuild the team fans" but, when we lost in 2011, I for one, was psst with the NHL, their decisions, and the refereeing, not with the Canucks at all. I was proud of them and hated the Bruins for beating them up, with no protection from the league...........I loved what they gave us!

That was then this is now!

What happened in 2011 was Boston built a team that was bigger, and was designed more around hard nosed hockey, than fast, skilled hockey (Which is what I thought at the time the league wanted). IMO, this misunderstanding of the League direction, spurred on the teams that had elected to build the "Boston" way, and from then until now you have seen a focus on larger players with skill, over players with elite skill, and no size.

This In my opinion is why Vancouver missed the boat, and why we have drafted the way we have since, more to the side of harder, more solid, 200 foot players, rather than totally offensive hockey players.

Today, those elite teams, play a 60 minute, 200 ft. game, and some of us, do not think this team is built that way. So when I look at the team, I see the aging core players, that are light by league standards, slower that most elite cores around the league, and a team that needs injection of skill and size.

Do I love my Canucks? Yes! But I would love them regardless of who played for them, but that doesn't change my opinion of a need for a rebuild.

Good Morning Joe

I can't speak for all the "Rebuild the team fans" but, when we lost in 2011, I for one, was psst with the NHL, their decisions, and the refereeing, not with the Canucks at all. I was proud of them and hated the Bruins for beating them up, with no protection from the league...........I loved what they gave us!

What happened in 2011 was Boston built a team that was bigger, and was designed more around hard nosed hockey, than fast, skilled hockey (Which is what I thought at the time the league wanted). IMO, this misunderstanding of the League direction, spurred on the teams that had elected to build the "Boston" way, and from then until now you have seen a focus on larger players with skill, over players with elite skill, and no size.

This In my opinion is why Vancouver missed the boat, and why we have drafted the way we have since, more to the side of harder, more solid, 200 foot players, rather than totally offensive hockey players.

Today, those elite teams, play a 60 minute, 200 ft. game, and some of us, do not think this team is built that way. So when I look at the team, I see the aging core players, that are light by league standards, slower that most elite cores around the league, and a team that needs injection of skill and size.

Do I love my Canucks? Yes! But I would love them regardless of who played for them, but that doesn't change my opinion of a need for a rebuild.

Speaking of the Boston model, I couldn't be happier that got put on hold a little bit. To me, that style of team was a bit of a regression to the pre-lockout NHL. Teams (Canucks included) started to look at the big, bruising style of Boston as the way to build. Lo and behold, the second smallest team in the league (Chicago) goes and beats them quite handily two years later. And in doing it, they didn't try to avoid Chara (the biggest and baddest of all the Bruins)- they went right at him and exposed him with great speed and skill. It was a great thing to watch and really helped preserve the NHL's on-ice product IMO.

I echo the person who said this.

"It isn't the losing that hurt, it was how we lost"

We held a 3 goal lead and then lost 7-4 to an upstart team that has its name in a thread titled "The Joke That has Become the Oilers and Flames"

We blew a 3 goal lead in an elimination game and lost by 3 goals doing it. The immediate reaction is absolute disgust at our teams lack of effort which was immediately recognized as what happened in 2011 with less overall injuries and a less skilled team, but also admiration and a nod to the Flames who literally gave it everything they had to advance. Something that most refuse to admit. That they earned it.

But overall tempered with the fact that we went through large parts of the season missing vital pieces of our top 4 on the blue line and some essential top 6 and bottom 6 forwards and STILL paced the better teams in the league doing it.

So for that. No, I am disappointed at all. I am proud of our team. I do not anticipate this core can win us a cup without significant changes, but I am still happy with the outcome of the season which finally saw some youth injected and some moves made to shore up that 20 to 24 year age bracket in our prospects.

This is my opinion and my opinion only.

Take it as you will

I ask and let me just say I think Canucks fans are awesome, well I am one, but I did notice that for the fans and media there's a negative cloud every end of the season since after 2011. Ok 2013 to 2014 was a disaster but I kind of felt there was a disgruntled and frustrated mood here and the media after the 2012, 2013, and 2015 playoff eliminations.

Of course one might say that a 1st round elimination is never good since the ultimate goal is always to win the cup.

But then I look at this season and the Jets fans and Sens fans and despite being eliminated via 4 games and 6 games respectively the mood of their fans is one of pride and admiration to their team. I also remember 2012 the Panthers fanbase and organization celebrated the opening of the 2013 season by putting up the Southeast Division banner and the fans were very appreciative there despite a 1st Round exit a year before.

I dunno after The Canucks elimination the reaction from the media and fans is really different from the positive reaction of the fansbase of the Jets, Pathers (2012), and Senators. While their fans saluted the team despite a 1st round exit here we seem to blame the coach, call the core stale, having no heart etc.

I don't know but considering where the team was last year and now a 101 point season, I think there is just as much a reason to be proud of The Canucks the same way the fans of other teams are proud of theirs.

You know like I said I love this team and fans but it's just an observation I noticed.

Fair question. I was angry with how the team played with such little passion or heart in both games 3 and 4 in Calgary. That type of lackadaisical attitude os hopefully going to be vetted out of the organization.

I still love the Canucks as a sports entity, I just don't have much faith or use for the present incarnation.

CDC is not the measuring stick for the entire Canucks fanbase.

I was happy they made it to the playoffs, and was totally okay with them bowing out in the first round. What I was not okay with was the amount of effort they gave, it looked like they didn't want to be there most of the time.

The fact that they lost to cowtown only makes it worse.

Hi, good opening post OP. I don't there is a clear cut answer here. Last season was terrible, and I appreciate that ownership came in, hired Linden, and Linden got the GM he wanted and (I assume) the coach they wanted. So the management structure of the Canucks seems solid for years to come.

That being said, I never thought the Sedins were "done for," nor did I ever think that we were at the level of the Oilers or teams likes that. When we made the playoffs, and drew Calgary in the first round, it should have been a series that we won, or at least competed much better in. The series with the Flames showed that some of our offensive players weren't ready for the playoffs, our defence was too slow, and our coach was somewhat inexperienced, or at least made some questionable choices. Our GM also did very little to give the team any kind of boost for the playoffs. A cumulative effect of all those factors is what makes me feel dissapointed.

I don't think the fan base is spoiled, I think we want a competitive team, that works hard and plays consistently every game. I also think there is a good chance that next season will be worse overall then the season that just passed. Canucks fans, myself included, need to brace themselves for the long term.

Joe, I don't think anyone thinks the Canuck players didn't give 100%. They are fools if they think that. But Calgary was faster, hit harder, and out played us accordingly. Their core is faster, younger and quicker than our core, they are trending upwards, and we are not for the moment.

Having played a lot of sports, hockey and boxing mostly.I have always wondered how 2 players the same size and strength can be so different. But in saying that, there is a difference in will and drive which is internal and separates those players by miles, in equal competition. Funny, but that even happens at the elite level of sports. I know myself, and how my drive and will has changed as I get older.

With these "real" hockey players even a extremely small change can change the advantage they had. It kind of makes me laugh, as I am 57 and 33 years old is pretty young, but not generally in elite sports....reality sucks!

Are the core vets too spoiled to leave it all on the ice when it really matters?

Watch the '94 playoffs. You will see a team that despite being handily out classed in terms of overall talent and skill left it all on the ice.

Fans aren't spoiled. And most long time fans can accept losing in the first round of the team plays with heart and just loses to a better team. Losing the way they do without seeming to care or put that little bit extra in to try to is the reason people are pissed off.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard......the flames certainly proved that to the canucks.

Joe, I don't think anyone thinks the Canuck players didn't give 100%. They are fools if they think that. But Calgary was faster, hit harder, and out played us accordingly.

Count me among those who didn't think the Canucks played the best they could. That third period was an embarrassment to the franchise and Linden and Company need to dump the leaders on the team if they want any real change.

They need to clean out everyone from 2011, those guys don't have the heart or desire to really go for a Stanley Cup.

Also, to those who enjoyed the series, I guess you enjoy hockey where one team rolls up into the fetal position and doesn't fight back. A captain who picks up the enemy's stick and hands it to him like they are on a dinner date.

Playing well in the regular season and getting bounced in Round 1 will only result in low draft picks, you can't sit on the fence if you want to build the championship team.

Being older is just part of the equation, but you actually want players will who sacrifice to win, the Canucks on the ice in Game 6 gave up after it was 4-3. Sorry to say, but the twins will have a similar legacy to Thornton and Marleau.

Unlike the Senators and Jets, there was indication that we would go for a rebuild. Instead a year passed and with nothing to show for it.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the "indication that we would go for a rebuild". Could you kindly point out to me when any member of any level of Canucks management said / indicated this ?

Good Morning Joe

They didn't play 100% at all janis. Game 3 and 4 were pathetic not because Calgary was the better team, but because the Canucks clearly were but had very little urgency and effort. The better team didn't win. The team who wanted (and in turn deserved it more) won.

I think with the success we had for most of the Gillis and AV era, yeah. I'd say people are jaded.

5 straight division titles, two presidents trophies, multiple second round appearances, a game away from winning the cup...Not to mention all the individual awards our guys won. At this point, it's hard for some people to go back to watching a re-tooling team. Anything less than a cup is a failure in a lot of people's eyes right now.

Speaking of the Boston model, I couldn't be happier that got put on hold a little bit. To me, that style of team was a bit of a regression to the pre-lockout NHL. Teams (Canucks included) started to look at the big, bruising style of Boston as the way to build. Lo and behold, the second smallest team in the league (Chicago) goes and beats them quite handily two years later. And in doing it, they didn't try to avoid Chara (the biggest and baddest of all the Bruins)- they went right at him and exposed him with great speed and skill. It was a great thing to watch and really helped preserve the NHL's on-ice product IMO.

^In this situation,..the league did NOT enable one major O-6 team over another. It was a rather level ice-surface so to speak, thus that mutual 'love-fest' between those 2-kingpins congratulating one another with full-page ads in their city newspapers, for both reaching the SC-Final after a revenue-poor lock-out season. Officiating plays it part, people.

It just so happened, that in one of the worst and most-controversially offciated seasons and post-seasons of all-time...that the SC-Final was pretty much an incident-free display of hockey. Things that make ya go,..hmmmm?

Archived