The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks shopping Eddie Lack for second round pick

Much of the criticism of the Miller signing is unwarranted, both in not recognizing the reality of the situation at the time and in hindsight now. Last year Benning clearly believed that the Lack/Markstrom combo was not ready to take over and frankly, he was right. Markstrom appears to have regained his confidence and form, to where Benning has now pronounced him "NHL-ready". Yes that means he's probably comfortable with a Lack/Markstrom tandem now, but keeping Miller to mentor Markstrom into starter-readiness is also rational.

^^^^Dude....you seriously need to learn how to spell Vrbata.

I'm not even using hyperbole when I state that I've seen you spell it Vrabata over 100 times.

Radim Vibrato

Radim Vibrator

Radim Verbata

Radim Burbank

Radim Copa Cabana

I think I'm close

They don't need a Shea Weber, they just need to be smart about the kinds of dmen brought in. Nonis got it right with his varied mix of dmen, Gillis did not.

He got it right for a couple years there until he didn't replace either Ehrhoff or Salo and attempted to rectify that with Ballard and a redundant Garrison... which was basically the equivalent of flinging crap at a wall to see if anything would stick.

It didn't, it just stunk up the place.

He got it right for a couple years there until he didn't replace either Ehrhoff or Salo and attempted to rectify that with Ballard and a redundant Garrison... which was basically the equivalent of flinging crap at a wall to see if anything would stick.

It didn't, it just stunk up the place.

I've been thinking about this way too much but I think I've found a trade target that would be perfect for us.

Brendan Smith. Has all the tools to be a top flight PMD, with grit, if he was playing in a system and for a coach that allowed him to be more free. Under Babs he was quite restricted and floundered. We might be able to grab him through trade from Detroit as an RFA relatively cheaply compared to if he gets a better role under a new coach.

He's better off of the left side so it would necessitate us moving Hamhuis, probably, as Sbisa and Edler look to stay. In fact, this is the type of deal where moving Kassian could make more sense because we could look to replace his role through another trade(s). I'm not sure what it they would be looking for in Detroit but I'd definitely give them a call if I was JB.

I don't think you guys truly realize what a 1st round draft pick costs.

If a team is giving up a 1st, they want a young player that helps them now or a lot sooner then a player they are about to select.

Our best, most realistic chance at getting into the bottom half of the 1st round would be to offer players like Cassels or McCann. Not Lack and Beiksa.

If giving up a Cassels or McCann package with Lack results in Drafting or acquiring a potential #1 Dman then you go with that.

It's time to start cashing in our C and G wealth. Young player for young player hockey trades is what I assume GM's are after.

I don't think you guys truly realize what a 1st round draft pick costs.

If a team is giving up a 1st, they want a young player that helps them now or a lot sooner then a player they are about to select.

Our best, most realistic chance at getting into the bottom half of the 1st round would be to offer players like Cassels or McCann. Not Lack and Beiksa.

If giving up a Cassels or McCann package with Lack results in Drafting or acquiring a potential #1 Dman then you go with that.

It's time to start cashing in our C and G wealth. Young player for young player hockey trades is what I assume GM's are after.

Who exactly are you talking to? 'You guys?'

The vast majority of the posters are stating a 2nd for Lack or that the Canucks would have up add to get a 1st. What you are sayng is not even in the minority. Whether you think, and I don't, that adding McCann or Cassels to move into a mid round pick is a good plan is just personal preference.

As for a high 2nd, as from say Buffalo or Edmonton, then Lack would certainly fit your criteria to help them sooner than the pick would. At 27 years old, Lack could put in a career before that 2015 even plays a full season in the NHL.

And I would dispute that we have 'centre' wealth. We do not. We have a couple.

Much of the criticism of the Miller signing is unwarranted, both in not recognizing the reality of the situation at the time and in hindsight now. Last year Benning clearly believed that the Lack/Markstrom combo was not ready to take over and frankly, he was right. Markstrom appears to have regained his confidence and form, to where Benning has now pronounced him "NHL-ready". Yes that means he's probably comfortable with a Lack/Markstrom tandem now, but keeping Miller to mentor Markstrom into starter-readiness is also rational.

So I guess you feel the same way about gillis and luongo's contract as the nhl changed the rules on him 2 years into it? But like most on here Gillis will be treated with a different degree of criticism as opposed to JB who can do no wrong....even though he shouldn't have signed miller, got fleeced on the sbisa deal, and lost out on matt o'connor

Garrioch is a joke. I'm not criticizing DeNiro for posting this - it's relevent material and a live matter for sure - but take anything Garrioch says with a grain of salt.

I believe the original peep out of Garrioch was that the Canucks "could" move Lack for a 2nd - which is quite distinct from having an insider track on what is the actual substance of negotiations. With all due respect to Garrioch, imo he's in a credibility class with the likes of Botchford and Eklund - I don't buy anything he publishes - it's just fodder for discussion. I don't believe he's a credible enough source to trust that there's much substance to this - I put it in the speculation category.

I'd take a later round pick for Miller over a 2nd for Lack every time. I think the return for Miller would be comparable to that for Lack in any event, so unless it were absolutely impossible to move Miller to San Jose or where-ever, I'd exhaust any possibility before entertaining dealing Lack.

So I guess you feel the same way about gillis and luongo's contract as the nhl changed the rules on him 2 years into it? But like most on here Gillis will be treated with a different degree of criticism as opposed to JB who can do no wrong....even though he shouldn't have signed miller, got fleeced on the sbisa deal, and lost out on matt o'connor

Not at all, never liked the Luongo deal from the moment I first heard it. Was really hoping that the NHL was going to void it after doing so to the Kovalchuk contract.

I'd take a later round pick for Miller over a 2nd for Lack every time. I think the return for Miller would be comparable to that for Lack in any event, so unless it were absolutely impossible to move Miller to San Jose or where-ever, I'd exhaust any possibility before entertaining dealing Lack.

Pretty sure most fans share that sentiment, but Benning is his own beast. The truth is that none of us knows where his head is. I hope he doesn't think the fans will want his head if we don't get fair value for Miller, we won't. We won't even be upset if he retains a mil, but maybe he'll consider that sacrilege. It's hard to say. Should be very exciting to watch it play out though.

Maybe Eddie is more in demand than we think? Maybe other teams caught more of Miller's strong play last season than his off-games. Maybe Benning doesnt think either guy is cutting it, moves both and brings in a FA or trades for a true number 1? Nobody knows. Above all though, it doesn't matter. Goaltending should always be reassessed before the start of every season when you don't have a clear cut stud of a number 1 goalie.

It's god awful.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are 1st round level assets.

Lack isn't worth a 1st, but he's a better, younger, and more likeable goaltender than Miller is.

This will turn out like the Garrison situation.

Lack is better than Miller? What? I'm sorry what? What are you basing this off of Miller coming back from injury saying he is not 100% and having a bad game in the playoffs? Miller is 10x better than Lack.

i'd retain 2m for 2 years on miller's contract to keep lack at 4x4

So essentially with Markstrom up we'd still be paying $8mil on goaltending?

No thanks, glad you're not our GM, also $4mil on Lack is an overpayment at this time.

Lack is better than Miller? What? I'm sorry what? What are you basing this off of Miller coming back from injury saying he is not 100% and having a bad game in the playoffs? Miller is 10x better than Lack.

wfi.gif

Lack is not better than Miller. But they're absolutely comparable at this point in their respective careers. Lack will likely never come close to accomplishing what Miller has in his career, but it's 2015. Ryan Miller of 2007 would have made us instant cup contenders, but we don't live in the past on this team. It's all about the future, and frankly both goalies are stop-gaps.

Even if Roberto played his entire tenure in Vancouver without any Schneider-related distractions, he'd still be handing the reigns to Lack right now. The guy is ready and has proven that over two seasons. A team like ours simply doesn't need better goaltending than we've got from Lack in his time as a pro, we should be spending the money elsewhere.

Who exactly are you talking to? 'You guys?'

The vast majority of the posters are stating a 2nd for Lack or that the Canucks would have up add to get a 1st. What you are sayng is not even in the minority. Whether you think, and I don't, that adding McCann or Cassels to move into a mid round pick is a good plan is just personal preference.

As for a high 2nd, as from say Buffalo or Edmonton, then Lack would certainly fit your criteria to help them sooner than the pick would. At 27 years old, Lack could put in a career before that 2015 even plays a full season in the NHL.

And I would dispute that we have 'centre' wealth. We do not. We have a couple.

I read I few pages of this thread as well as many other threads. I was addressing the group of people that overvalue our players. I am pointing out that in today's day and age young players are mostly acquired in a hockey trade for other young players.

If we want to trade Ryan Miller for example we will need to take salary back, simply because any team that would want to spend the money on a proven goaltender, and that Miller would waive for most likely have cap restrictions.

As valuable as Lack is to us he is kind of redundant in the league. There are at least 5 goalies on the market that can do what Lack does. The market is flooded with emerging starters. I agree that Lack alone is worth a 2nd at the most, just bad timing for value.

I guess C wealth was stretching it, I would say we have depth at the shutdown style C. It would make sense in my opinion to use those assets to gain something we lack, a PMD. In a youth for youth hockey trade.

I just rarely see people mention giving up good young players in our system. Those players are what it's going to take to get good young players in return.

If we want to trade Ryan Miller for example we will need to take salary back, simply because any team that would want to spend the money on a proven goaltender, and that Miller would waive for most likely have cap restrictions.

Miller + Weber to SJ for Burrish and their 2nd.

Let me start by saying this, I love Eddie Lack and think he did a great job for us down the stretch to get us in the playoffs. A lot of you like to point out the statistics to make your case of Lack over Miller, but your failing to look at the most important stat... WINS! Eddie was just above .500, Miller was 10 games over. Doesn't matter how high your save % is or how low your GAA is if you don't win the game. Miller is a proven NHL starter that knows how to come up with the save at the most important time to get the W. Lack is the odd man out and they need to get what they can, while they still can. Markstrom has 2 years to grow into the #1. As much as I like Lack he is never going to be a 60-70 game goalie in this league, he is a great back-up or platoon type goalie, who can give you 35-45 quality starts a year.

Let me start by saying this, I love Eddie Lack and think he did a great job for us down the stretch to get us in the playoffs. A lot of you like to point out the statistics to make your case of Lack over Miller, but your failing to look at the most important stat... WINS! Eddie was just above .500, Miller was 10 games over. Doesn't matter how high your save % is or how low your GAA is if you don't win the game. Miller is a proven NHL starter that knows how to come up with the save at the most important time to get the W. Lack is the odd man out and they need to get what they can, while they still can. Markstrom has 2 years to grow into the #1. As much as I like Lack he is never going to be a 60-70 game goalie in this league, he is a great back-up or platoon type goalie, who can give you 35-45 quality starts a year.

THANK YOU, i have being trying to say this all year

THANK YOU, i have being trying to say this all year

Miller and the team went on an improbable 10 game run at the start of the season. They were exact equals after that. Younger, cheaper, fan favourite, keep the locker room fun/happy and give the fans somebody to get behind. We groomed Lack from a seedling, brought him up the right way - give the guy a chance to run with it. He fails next year? Who cares, let Markstrom try. He fails? Who cares, we're rebuilding...just biding time til Demko is ready. Miller is not going to be better next season than he was the last, but Eddie very well might be.

Archived