To Arizona:

Zack Kassian

Nicklas Jensen

25th overall

To Vancouver:

Brandon Gormley

29th/30th overall (Chicago's pick)

32nd overall

Why would Arizona make this deal?: With the emergance of Dahlbeck and Murphy. Gormley has been falling down the depth chart in Arizona. Even with the departure of Yandle and Michalak, he's been a healthy scratch in favour of the newcomers, and his mintues has drop considerably since the trades. I'm not sure if Arizona is ready to give up on Gormley just yet, but they desperately need some offensive touch in their top 6. Both Kassian and Jensen can provide that. A change of scenery for all parties might be for the best.

Why would Vancouver make this deal?: Before you guys complain that we need Kassian's physical presence. We actually don't. When we were a successful team, we beat teams with our skill and quickness not by intimidating them with our toughness. When Kassian isn't playing his best, he's either in the pressbox, stapled to the bench or injured. He's been in three coaches' doghouse, during his time here (4 altogether). Another change of scenery, might finally light a fire under his butt to play at a consistant level.

In return we get Gormley, who isn't overly phyiscal, but he is that puck-moving defensemen we badly need on the backend without paying someone on the open market 7M+. He's still young, has a ton of offensive upside.

To Pittsburgh:

Dan Hamhuis

To Vancouver:

Scott Harrington

2016' first round pick

Why would Pittsburgh make this deal?: They will probably let Ehrhoff and Martin walk. Not sure, how comfortable they are with a young defense core going into next season. Hamhuis will bring that leadership role, that will be loss with Martin being gone. There's also high chance Hamhuis will waive his NTC to go to Pittsburgh, knowing there's a good chance he'll win a Cup there.

Why would Vancouver make this deal?: Need to get younger at the back end. While Hamhuis hasn't exactly been terrible this season compare to others, but he also hasn't been the Hamhuis of old. Has struggle at times, looking slow, and making some questionable turnovers in his own end. His production has drop as well. Although, his hip injury could be the cause of his down year. Preferably I would like to move Bieksa, but I don't think he'll waive his NTC. He loves it here, and will probably retire a Canucks. Hamhuis also gets us the best value from other teams.

To San Jose:

Ryan Miller

Frank Corrado

To Vancouver:

39th overall pick

Why would San Jose make this deal?: They need a goalie, as I don't see them re-signing Niemi. hate to lose Corrado, but I don't think SJ would deal that pick straight up for Miller, for obvious reason (Miller's age and contract). We're practically giving Corrado to them for nothing.

Why would Vancouver make this deal?: We get rid of the 6M caphit.

Re-signings:

- Linden Vey: 2M/2yrs (1M per)

- Yannick Weber: 2.4M/2yrs (1.2M)

- Sven Baertschi: 3.6M/2 yrs (1.8M)

- Jacob Markstrom: 6.75M/3yrs (2.25M)

- Ronald Kenins: (Qualifying offer)

- Adam Clendening: (Qualifying offer)

- Alexander Grenier: (Qualifying offer)

- Brandon MacMillen: (Qualifying offer)

Free Agents Signings:

- Cody Franson: 23.5M/5yrs (4.7M)

- James Sheppard: 5.7M/3yrs (1.9M)

Line-up:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexander Burrows

Sven Baertschi - Nick Bonino - Radim Vrbata

Chris Higgins - Bo Horvat - Jannik Hansen

Alexander Grenier - James Sheppard - Derek Dorsett

Extra: Jake Virtanen (9 games), Linden Vey

Alexander Edler - Christopher Tanev

Brandon Gormley - Cody Franson

Luca Sbisa - Kevin Bieksa

Extra: Yannik Weber

Eddie Lack

Jacob Markstrom

Nice formatting, it makes it easy to read. I doubt Arizona does that trade as is. Jensen is very close to bust territory and hasn't proven he can add the scoring they need at the NHL level yet. Kassian, while I wouldnt call him a bust, really doesnt bring consistent scoring either. They might do it if you take off that early second.

The Pitt trade is good, but probably would only work at the deadline. Pitt is probably going to see what they can grab out of UFA for free, and if they can't get anything, or they think they need more at the deadline, then I think this trade would work.

The San Jose trade is solid. I cant see Franson not looking for 1-1.5 mil more than that. Why do we need Sheppard, do we not have youth that could step into that role instead?

Nice formatting, it makes it easy to read. I doubt Arizona does that trade as is. Jensen is very close to bust territory and hasn't proven he can add the scoring they need at the NHL level yet. Kassian, while I wouldnt call him a bust, really doesnt bring consistent scoring either. They might do it if you take off that early second.

The Pitt trade is good, but probably would only work at the deadline. Pitt is probably going to see what they can grab out of UFA for free, and if they can't get anything, or they think they need more at the deadline, then I think this trade would work.

The San Jose trade is solid. I cant see Franson not looking for 1-1.5 mil more than that. Why do we need Sheppard, do we not have youth that could step into that role instead?

Well, Arizona is pretty weak on the right side. Aside from Doan, they really don't have much offense at that position. Hard to label Jensen a bust, since he hasn't really been given a fair opportunity to playing in a top 6 role here. Last year, when he was playing on the first line, he was pretty decent, scoring 6 points in 17 games. He's only 23, so there's still time for to him to develop. Kassian and Gormley have similar values, both highly touted young players, but have inconsistent issues.

The open market for a defensemen like Hamhuis is very slim. They don't need the services of Green or Franson, since they have Letang, and both of them don't really bring the same element as Hamhuis. They only have two options, find a trading part willing to give away a top 4 defensemen or go what they already have.

I don't think Franson would fetch 5M+ on the open market, unless a team needs to reach the cap floor and I doubt he wants to be on a losing team after the circus he went through in Toronto. 4.7M is a pretty reasonable price for Franson.

I always liked Sheppard's game, since his Wild days. He brings that grit and toughness in the bottom 6. He's a poors-man Hansen, with a bit more bite, but less offense. I don't know we have anybody to fill Richardson's spot, right now. Doubt Benning and co. will rush Cassels. We could always re-sign Richardson, but I would rather have the much younger Sheppard.

Arizona and Pittsburgh trades are a good good.

The chance of getting those two (Harrington and Gormley) will give a much more younger line-up especially our old-moving d-man.

Like it but wouldn't do the Shepard signing. Very deserves that spot

Vey can't be a 4th line centre. Your 4th liner has to be good at f/o and is a PK grinder, not a soft Vey that can't win a draw in the d zone to save his life. I like what Richardson brings to the table, grit,hard work, good f/o( except last season off year ), can put 20+ points on the scoresheet, fights sometimes, and is a great PK

Kassian's physicality was the ingredient that was missing from the Calgary series that would have made a huge difference. That and Burrows' physical play and tenacity.

Yes the Canucks didn't beat teams with pugilistic abilities, but as proven against Calgary, when another team took it to them physically, the Canucks were taken off their game and had no adequate response.

The trades are well thought out and nicely formatted. They address getting younger very well, but do zilch to address this team's need to bulk up to compete in the West.

Vey can't be a 4th line centre. Your 4th liner has to be good at f/o and is a PK grinder, not a soft Vey that can't win a draw in the d zone to save his life. I like what Richardson brings to the table, grit,hard work, good f/o( except last season off year ), can put 20+ points on the scoresheet, fights sometimes, and is a great PK

Might not win faceoffs, but Vey has better numbers on suppressing offense than Richardson last year.

Formatting, good

Content, you're making me work.....

who is Gormley? I have to look him up and find out he's another D on the verge of playing in the NHL and we give up Kassian, Jensen and I think you mean't the 23rd pick....frankly this sounds like change for changes' sake

Not digging any further

Fransen....will get big bucks....the Habs just signed Petry for 6 @ $33M (that's 5.5 per for the math challenged and would make Petry, Petry! the highest paid D on the Canucks.... :rolleyes: ....Fransen will get way more)....this is why Benning has said already that he's not going after any big FA signings

Definitely close values for the first two (Miller Time and Corrado Kid can get a late first), and I can see them happening.

I could see the bottom pairings being successful if Sbisa was swapped up to the 2nd pairing to play shutdown for Franson, while Juice stabilizes things for Gormley. Just hope that management wouldn't give up on Kass so soon though, could see him as a solid contributor still. Think Jensen plus a small add could get Gormley.

I think some sort of deal with ARZ makes sense, especially with Kassian and/or Bonino IF JB doesn't see Kass in the picture long term. I think the Canucks can get something better for Kassian, like Henrik Samuelsson. Canucks have enough unproven D men coming into the picture next season- don't think JB wants to ice a risky back end like that with Gormley. At least with Samuelsson the Canucks aquire that edge and forecheck they want in their top 6 with Samuelsson. I also see a guy like Tippet wanting a player like Bonino, Kassian though not so much.

Well, Arizona is pretty weak on the right side. Aside from Doan, they really don't have much offense at that position. Hard to label Jensen a bust, since he hasn't really been given a fair opportunity to playing in a top 6 role here. Last year, when he was playing on the first line, he was pretty decent, scoring 6 points in 17 games. He's only 23, so there's still time for to him to develop. Kassian and Gormley have similar values, both highly touted young players, but have inconsistent issues.

The open market for a defensemen like Hamhuis is very slim. They don't need the services of Green or Franson, since they have Letang, and both of them don't really bring the same element as Hamhuis. They only have two options, find a trading part willing to give away a top 4 defensemen or go what they already have.

I don't think Franson would fetch 5M+ on the open market, unless a team needs to reach the cap floor and I doubt he wants to be on a losing team after the circus he went through in Toronto. 4.7M is a pretty reasonable price for Franson.

I always liked Sheppard's game, since his Wild days. He brings that grit and toughness in the bottom 6. He's a poors-man Hansen, with a bit more bite, but less offense. I don't know we have anybody to fill Richardson's spot, right now. Doubt Benning and co. will rush Cassels. We could always re-sign Richardson, but I would rather have the much younger Sheppard.

Jensen produced at a OKish clip with the Sedins. Anyone can do that. Stick a piece of cardboard out on the ice with them and theyll bounce shots off of it into the net. He hasn't produced well enough anywhere else (or really even with them, either) in our lineup, or in the AHL, to really deserve a top 6 role on the Canucks. I'm not a fan of just handing looks out to players, they have to earn it, and he hasn't. There is a reason why Benning glosses over him in interviews, it's because he really is close to bust territory. I think if Arizona wants offense at that position, they go out and get it. Not trade for a long shot in Jensen, and chronic inconsistency and many ??? in Kassian.

Good points on Hamhuis, but I still think Pitt waits till the deadline. They probably want to see what they have in their D corps, last year wasn't a great look, especially in the playoffs, considering all the injuries. Depending on who they re-sign that might change. Waiting till the deadline might be a good move for us too, considering players worth usually goes up at that time, especially if contenders are likely landing spots, and it will likely increase the number of suitors.

Young top 4 defensemen with good offensive upside, that are just now entering their prime, are generally worth more at this point than 4.7. Add to that that UFA generally isn't ever very reasonable, and I'd be very surprised if he doesnt go for at least 5-5.5 mil, unless the length is massive, Ehrhoff style. Also I think he's already said he'd love to go back to Toronto, so maybe he doesnt mind losing teams, considering they wont be good for many years.

I'd really like to give Gaunce a nice look, whether that is on the wing or center IDK. If we do end up going to UFA/trade etc for a fourth line center, my main requirement would be good FO%. I took a quick glance and saw that Sheppard has had one season that he wasnt terrible at FOs. That makes me not a fan. IMO there are better choice than him out there, for that fact alone.

Well thought out post! Like many of the moves for example San Jose deal and Pittsburgh deal. Not sure about the Phoenix deal though, as we give away quite a lot for a player which is as unproven as Jensen(a bit of an exageration).

I'd rather save the cap hit than go after Sheppard though. I don't think we should go after a center this off-season, as I think Gaunce would do quite well in that role next season. But if we're going to go after a center I'd like Carl Söderberg, he's had two good seasons with Boston but I think it'd be possible to sign him for two years @ $2 - 2,5mil.

Jensen produced at a OKish clip with the Sedins. Anyone can do that. Stick a piece of cardboard out on the ice with them and theyll bounce shots off of it into the net. He hasn't produced well enough anywhere else (or really even with them, either) in our lineup, or in the AHL, to really deserve a top 6 role on the Canucks. I'm not a fan of just handing looks out to players, they have to earn it, and he hasn't. There is a reason why Benning glosses over him in interviews, it's because he really is close to bust territory. I think if Arizona wants offense at that position, they go out and get it. Not trade for a long shot in Jensen, and chronic inconsistency and many ??? in Kassian.

Good points on Hamhuis, but I still think Pitt waits till the deadline. They probably want to see what they have in their D corps, last year wasn't a great look, especially in the playoffs, considering all the injuries. Depending on who they re-sign that might change. Waiting till the deadline might be a good move for us too, considering players worth usually goes up at that time, especially if contenders are likely landing spots, and it will likely increase the number of suitors.

Young top 4 defensemen with good offensive upside, that are just now entering their prime, are generally worth more at this point than 4.7. Add to that that UFA generally isn't ever very reasonable, and I'd be very surprised if he doesnt go for at least 5-5.5 mil, unless the length is massive, Ehrhoff style. Also I think he's already said he'd love to go back to Toronto, so maybe he doesnt mind losing teams, considering they wont be good for many years.

I'd really like to give Gaunce a nice look, whether that is on the wing or center IDK. If we do end up going to UFA/trade etc for a fourth line center, my main requirement would be good FO%. I took a quick glance and saw that Sheppard has had one season that he wasnt terrible at FOs. That makes me not a fan. IMO there are better choice than him out there, for that fact alone.

I don't think Jensen played with both Sedins, since Daniel was injured when he was called up. You're right, he hasn't really been lighting up the scoresheet down in Utica. Not sure, what's the situation down there with him and the coaching staff, but like I said he's still pretty young, and we saw a glimpse of his offensive skills last year. Maybe he just needs a change a scenery? They could get someone in FA, but that doesn't really help them in the long run. Kassian and Jensen fits perfectly with their youth movement.

I think Franson's play in Nashville hurt his value considerably. I'm sure a team will offer him a hefty contract, but he's definitely not worth it. Let's just hope the longer he isn't signed, when July 1st comes around. His price will goes down, and he can nab him up at a reasonable price.

Gaunce has been playing LW in Utica, and I think I read somewhere Benning wants to keep Gaunce at LW, if he makes it on the team. Being good at FOs as a 4th line center is sort of redundant, considering they will only be playing a minimum of 8-10mins a night, and won't be taking any key FOs. As a forth liner, you're main duties are to crash and bang, cause havoc for the other team, and if you seen Sheppard play, he does exactly that.

I don't think Jensen played with both Sedins, since Daniel was injured when he was called up. You're right, he hasn't really been lighting up the scoresheet down in Utica. Not sure, what's the situation down there with him and the coaching staff, but like I said he's still pretty young, and we saw a glimpse of his offensive skills last year. Maybe he just needs a change a scenery? They could get someone in FA, but that doesn't really help them in the long run. Kassian and Jensen fits perfectly with their youth movement.

I think Franson's play in Nashville hurt his value considerably. I'm sure a team will offer him a hefty contract, but he's definitely not worth it. Let's just hope the longer he isn't signed, when July 1st comes around. His price will goes down, and he can nab him up at a reasonable price.

Gaunce has been playing LW in Utica, and I think I read somewhere Benning wants to keep Gaunce at LW, if he makes it on the team. Being good at FOs as a 4th line center is sort of redundant, considering they will only be playing a minimum of 8-10mins a night, and won't be taking any key FOs. As a forth liner, you're main duties are to crash and bang, cause havoc for the other team, and if you seen Sheppard play, he does exactly that.

Jensen and Kassian do fit into their youth movement. And who knows, maybe they thrive being given a bigger role more consistently? The change of scenery could help too. Kassian has the potential to be an exciting player as well, which is something that is probably attractive to a Arizona franchise that needs to fill seats. Might be a better fit than I initially thought.

We are in agreement on Franson not being worth a big contract, and it would be a great addition to get him into our lineup on something reasonable. Chances are someone overpays the crap out of him though, as is the status quo with UFA defensemen.

I'd like for us to have more than just Horvat as our key FO man. It would free him up to potentially be put in a bit more of an offense role next season, with more offense minded players, instead of having to play shutdown with Hansen and other defensive guys. Our FOs last year were terrible, and what we really need is Henrik and Bonino to not completely crap the bed on FOs all year again. That being said I'd be OK with Sheppard, but I'd rather have a good FO guy as a fourth liner, seeing as the 1# priority as a fourth line is to not get scored on, possession helps with that. Not worrying about matchups against your fourth line is nice too. FOs help with that. That being said, other qualities are important too, and if that fella has those qualities maybe he is a good fit.

Yeah I remember hearing the same thing/something similar, about Gaunce too. Fair enough. Him switching to LW is cool too cause there is potentially some room there in the lineup heading into next season with Matthias likely gone and Kenins somewhat of a question mark as far as making the team goes. So thats a bit exciting.

Archived