The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

By tagging a few additional years at a very low salary it allowed teams to reduce the cap hit while encouraging early retirement as the player has already earned the bulk of his contract by that time.

Luongo's contract is 64M over 12 years for a 5.33M cap hit and retirement age 43. If he retires 3 years earlier, his notional cap hit would be 6.7M (60.4M over 9 years) when only a cap hit of 5.33M is registered. Thus the recapture penalty.
The Canucks paid Luongo well over 8M more than his cap hit (- his annual average salary at the time of the trade was about 7.58M vs cap hit of 5.33M). That recapture penalty gets spread over the remaining years between the date of early retirement and the end of his contract so the later he retires the higher the cap hit to the Canucks albeit for a lower period.
It's a bit more complex because there is the 15% salary retention involved in the deal with the Panthers but that's the broad idea behind the penalty. Taking into account the 15% retention - figures for Canucks for the last 4 years of his contract are:
2018: 2.3M x 4 years
2019: 3.0M x 3 years
2020: 4.3M x 2 years
2021: 7.9M x 1 year

Thanks. Does this penalty factor into our cap or is it just purely financial penalty off the cap?

The writing was on the wall re: Matthias for anyone willing to read it. Including Benning. Matthias was unlikely to be the difference between us winning/not winning the cup and was clear to most that unless he took a major discount, was not going to be returning. That he was playing well and had raised his value in that scenario was EXACTLY when we should have sold (high on) him.

Benning played it safe with Matthias. Just like he's playing it safe with first signing and now retaining Miller.

That's great and all as the safe route is the easiest and with less possible downside... But at this point I think fans were ready to take their chances with some bolder, higher risk, higher reward moves.

I like Benning's eye for talent and I've liked all his moves minus those two. That said, no GM is 100% perfect. Miller/Matthias are two notches in Benning's minus column. There's a lot more in his pus column and I look forward to seeing how re revamps our D over the next couple years B)

Not sure if I completely agree. By deadline we weren't guaranteed a playoff spot yet so trading away Mathais who was playing well at that time was a big risk unless the return was irresistible. So it didn't work out and Mathais fell off the face of the earth after that. Too bad. We just don't re-sign him and move on. His spot can be filled by promoting from Utica or picking up free assets. In general, goalie is THE position where you want to play safe if you can so I don't see that as a minus.

I love Dorsette but I think he's overpaid a tad if I have to tag a minus onto JB's first year.

It's a little discouraging when Benning said he doesn't trust the tandem of Lack and Markstrom going forward, because he believes they're too young to handle the job. Last time I checked, Lack was 27, not really quite young. He'd be just entering his prime years for a goalie. Won't be surprised one bit if Lack becomes a top 10 goalie, in the next few years, if traded.

Yeah that was a head scratcher for me. Benning also made a comment about wanting a more experienced goalie especially in this market. Lack has been a fan favorite and a media darling the last two seasons, what exactly is it about this market he cant handle? JB got caught with his pants down in overpaying for Miller so now he says whatever he thinks will suffice so ownership will look past his blunder and accept that he is forced ship out a younger cheaper goalie

You're subtle troll attempts aren't working.

It's clear when that angers you because when nobody is buying your juvenile garbage, you try even harder and harder.

Take up a new hobby buddy. You're a waste of space.

Hey, I remember you from this time last year.

HI!

Yeah that was a head scratcher for me. Benning also made a comment about wanting a more experienced goalie especially in this market. Lack has been a fan favorite and a media darling the last two seasons, what exactly is it about this market he cant handle? JB got caught with his pants down in overpaying for Miller so now he says whatever he thinks will suffice so ownership will look past his blunder and accept that he is forced ship out a younger cheaper goalie

When you compare Millers salary to other NHL goalies especially ones that hit UFA his contract is very reasonable.

Do you really want Lack who is still figuring out his game the one mentoring Markstrom? I don't.

The problem I have with not trading at the Deadline is that, every body on CDC know that we will be rebuilding at some point soon, and that even if Matthais had resigned for us, we get what 3 years before he walks if we could have afforded him in the first place.

How much is a 22 18 goal scorer worth at the deadline?............I think he had good value, which has the potential to give us 10 + years of hockey...I don't know, it isn't my money, but a little realism once in a while from the Canucks would be refreshing

The problem I have with not trading at the Deadline is that, every body on CDC know that we will be rebuilding at some point soon, and that even if Matthais had resigned for us, we get what 3 years before he walks if we could have afforded him in the first place.

How much is a 22 goal scorer worth at the deadline?............I think he had good value, which has the potential to give us 10 + years of hockey...I don't know, it isn't my money, but a little realism once in a while from the Canucks would be refreshing

WUT

http://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-wtf-meme-R8JwwO32vhaVy

The reason for Seguin getting shipped out was he fooled around with Nathan Hortons wife.... Same reason that Schneider got traded, Kesler fooled around with his wife so one of them had to go. Often it's other extenuating circumstances leading to a trade, not purely hockey related.

Lol. U read that in the national enquirer? Almost every single hockey team has somebody saying somebody hooked up with this guy or that guys wife and that's why he got traded.

When you compare Millers salary to other NHL goalies especially ones that hit UFA his contract is very reasonable.

Do you really want Lack who is still figuring out his game the one mentoring Markstrom? I don't.

None of them are 35

I have no issue with Miller other than he is about to be 35 and keeping him means losing one of Markstrom or Lack. Who mentored Luongo? he did alright without mentorship

"We should trade Matthias at the deadline, he'll never be this good again." - BanTSN, weeks before the deadline, while Matthias was scoring at a decent rate.

"We should have traded Matthias at the deadline, he's going to vanish." - BanTSN, right before Matthias vanished.

"Why didn't we trade Matthias at the deadline, he's not going to be re-signed." - BanTSN, months before Benning admitted Matthias wasn't going to be re-signed.

Tick

Is the sound of you moving up the Awesome chart.

You are now Internet Nerd Hero level 4.

None of them are 35

I have no issue with Miller other than he is about to be 35 and keeping him means losing one of Markstrom or Lack. Who mentored Luongo? he did alright without mentorship

Luongo was a 4th overall pick,

If Lack is our future starting G, we have more problems. Lack isn't our game changer G, right now in the organization we need to bank our team on Markstrom and Demko.

The reason why Gs aren't valued highly in trades is because unless you are a superstar you are pretty redundant.

We need to try and hit a home run and Lack isn't that G. We likely had that in Schneider but unfortunately MG screwed that up. Look what Luongo did for Schneider; Schneider himself even admitted Luongo was great in the development in his career.

Miller will do the same; Lack was a heck of a lot better this year then the prior year

"Why didn't we trade Matthias at the deadline, he's not going to be re-signed." - BanTSN, months before Benning admitted Matthias wasn't going to be re-signed.

Benning saying Matthias is testing the market =/= Matthias won't be re-signed. All you're doing is reaching.

Benning saying Matthias is testing the market =/= Matthias won't be re-signed. All you're doing is reaching.

Actually JB saying Matthias is testing the market actually means in a nice way he won't be back for this team

It's an asset squandered. Even just a 2nd for Matthias would have balanced out, as we'd recently spent two 2nd's for Baer & Vey.

Coulda given Gaunce, Archibald & Grenier about 5~7 games each(post-TDL), to show what they had. There'd have been no drop-off in size, & probably an increase in smarts & effort.

The canucks aren't In business to trade players for draft picks when we are In a middle of a playoff spot battle.

Matthias played a big.role for us in making the playoffs, why would we move him then ?

Benning and Trevs marching order is to make playoffs every year not get draft picks.

Including us, at 18 goals some team will sign him to more money then JB will ever offer him

18 goals is not an insurmountable total that cannot be replaced by a younger player in Baer. Only if he used his huge frame together with the 18 goals, he's easily replaceable at a much lower cost and development time for young players.

18 goals is not an insurmountable total that cannot be replaced by a younger player in Baer. Only if he used his huge frame together with the 18 goals, he's easily replaceable at a much lower cost and development time for young players.

Exactly, he's not coming back to Vancouver

Luongo was a 4th overall pick,

If Lack is our future starting G, we have more problems. Lack isn't our game changer G, right now in the organization we need to bank our team on Markstrom and Demko.

The reason why Gs aren't valued highly in trades is because unless you are a superstar you are pretty redundant.

We need to try and hit a home run and Lack isn't that G. We likely had that in Schneider but unfortunately MG screwed that up. Look what Luongo did for Schneider; Schneider himself even admitted Luongo was great in the development in his career.

Miller will do the same; Lack was a heck of a lot better this year then the prior year

A 4th overall pick doesn't need mentoring then?

Millers no game changer either at this stage of his career but he's getting paid like one. Who's to say he even returns from his wonky knee to the same calibre pre injury

Archived