The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

The Kane reference is a very good analogy. This is also the guy that shipped out Seguin which concerns me

The reason for Seguin getting shipped out was he fooled around with Nathan Hortons wife.... Same reason that Schneider got traded, Kesler fooled around with his wife so one of them had to go. Often it's other extenuating circumstances leading to a trade, not purely hockey related.

-Both pro and anti-Markstrom in the same thoughts.

-This market understands that signing Miller was a mistake.

-Prepare to lose Markstrom on waivers, or get relatively nothing for Lack.

-We're not getting any more picks.

-Grenier in, Kassian out.

-Bieksa out.

-Bartschi's top-6 role not a sure thing.

-Shinkaruk is still aways away. Injury took it's toll. Probably not fast enough to become a star.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Bieksa is packing his stuff. Hamhuis on notice.

-Prepare for some more 'need a job' castoff prospects to get a shot here.

-Would pass on Patrick Kane.

-Matthias should have already been traded.

-Richardson is gone too.

-Complete about-face with regards to who to take at 23.

-Prepare for a crap draft.

-Prepare for further re-tooling of the defense with other teams' crap.

-You might be rewarded next season with being able to see Virtanen for 8mins a game.

-Chicago re-tooled their roster with multiple young franchise players already in place, after they won a cup.

I hope he's just trolling us.

You could get paid very well for the Tea Party.

It's a little discouraging when Benning said he doesn't trust the tandem of Lack and Markstrom going forward, because he believes they're too young to handle the job. Last time I checked, Lack was 27, not really quite young. He'd be just entering his prime years for a goalie. Won't be surprised one bit if Lack becomes a top 10 goalie, in the next few years, if traded.

Dreamer. I'd take that bet and steal your money and not feel bad at all.

Speaking of redundant...

The Blackhawks have won two titles since they did a major roster overhaul after their first. LA won a second cup. Tampa and Calgary (and La and Chicago as well) were bad for nearly 10 years to achieve their notoriety as crapty teams. That they won on tanking is now an old story, still has validity, but the moves they have made since are the much bigger story.

You know what is more relevant? Only LA kept their management from tanking through to championship contention. Chicago hired Bowman. Calgary, cough, hired Burke in their current ascension. Tampa hired Stevie Y. You know, Tampa who drafted Namestnikov in the first round, Kucherov in the 2knd, Nesterov in the 5th & Palat in the 7th; all from one draft. Then developed them without rushing any. And signed Johnson as an undrafted UFA. They converted Marty St Louis into multiple draft picks and key forward Callahan. Their work since getting Hedman & Stamkos is way more relevant than their period of tanking IMO. Calgary only has Monahan to show for bad years. Johnny Hockey was a late round draft pick. TJ Brodie was a 4th rounder. Backlund was a 24th overall pick. Tanking, as much as they sulked for near ten years, did not get them where they are today... :lol: The biggest change was that all these teams made solid decisions & developed their players.

They all also changed their coaching. Quenneville, Sutter, Hartley and Cooper all pulled pretty much (maybe not Sutter this year) the right strings. Both managing veterans and developing those young guys equally well.

Forget Edmonton; Look how well Pittsburgh has done with two stud superstars, but arrays of bad decisions and poor development the last 6 years?

Hockey is sport, which is about competing. Not getting ur ass whooped. Some guys should just be fans of junior hockey they love the players so damn much more than the pride of the competition their jersey is supposed to represent.

You can marry my younger sister if you'd like.

The writing was on the wall re: Matthias for anyone willing to read it. Including Benning. Matthias was unlikely to be the difference between us winning/not winning the cup and was clear to most that unless he took a major discount, was not going to be returning. That he was playing well and had raised his value in that scenario was EXACTLY when we should have sold (high on) him.

Benning played it safe with Matthias. Just like he's playing it safe with first signing and now retaining Miller.

That's great and all as the safe route is the easiest and with less possible downside... But at this point I think fans were ready to take their chances with some bolder, higher risk, higher reward moves.

I like Benning's eye for talent and I've liked all his moves minus those two. That said, no GM is 100% perfect. Miller/Matthias are two notches in Benning's minus column. There's a lot more in his pus column and I look forward to seeing how re revamps our D over the next couple years B)

Good post and this is the way I feel about the situation. I am very pro Benning, no one ever gets it 100% correct and he has done wonders for the Canucks and considering what he started with its been fantastic to watch. But i see Matthias as his single major error to date.

I still cannot get it when JB say he is not comfortable with Lack and Markstrom going forward. Unless he means Miller can bring the Cup to Vancouver, it doesn't make sense to keep Miller when he makes 6M and the other two combined for not more than 4M especially when Lack outperformed Miller last year. It is bad judgement not only in a Hockey sense but in a business sense. If I were the owner, I would give him a lecture on business and HR management.

Give JB a lecture? You have to be kidding right. Miller is the better goilie and we would have not made the play offs with out him bailing out our defence for the first 3 months of the season. Sometimes I have to wonder if anyone on here watched all the games last year. Lack is a decent goilie, had a good run at the end of last season but is not and has not proven to be a #1 and why people on here think it would be smart to have not only have one but two inexperienced guys between the pipes this season are, I guess, looking to tank and if thats your guys plans then so be it.

I still cannot get it when JB say he is not comfortable with Lack and Markstrom going forward. Unless he means Miller can bring the Cup to Vancouver, it doesn't make sense to keep Miller when he makes 6M and the other two combined for not more than 4M especially when Lack outperformed Miller last year. It is bad judgement not only in a Hockey sense but in a business sense. If I were the owner, I would give him a lecture on business and HR management.

Were not in cup winning mode, we are re-tooling and adding youth while remaining competitive. Is it so hard for you people to understand this.

"We should trade Matthias at the deadline, he'll never be this good again." - BanTSN, weeks before the deadline, while Matthias was scoring at a decent rate.

"We should have traded Matthias at the deadline, he's going to vanish." - BanTSN, right before Matthias vanished.

"Why didn't we trade Matthias at the deadline, he's not going to be re-signed." - BanTSN, months before Benning admitted Matthias wasn't going to be re-signed.

I'm not so sure about that i get the feeling Gillman is slowly getting pushed to the sidelines in this org. You rarely see Gilman or here him anymore and i think Benning is solely responsible for the deals, i don't think Gilman has much input anymore.

YOU THINK, thats the problem right there, you really dont know do ya.

"We should trade Matthias at the deadline, he'll never be this good again." - BanTSN, weeks before the deadline, while Matthias was scoring at a decent rate.

"We should have traded Matthias at the deadline, he's going to vanish." - BanTSN, right before Matthias vanished.

"Why didn't we trade Matthias at the deadline, he's not going to be re-signed." - BanTSN, months before Benning admitted Matthias wasn't going to be re-signed.

You're subtle troll attempts aren't working.

It's clear when that angers you because when nobody is buying your juvenile garbage, you try even harder and harder.

Take up a new hobby buddy. You're a waste of space.

An idiot who's very good at hockey. You'd be a fool not to want him on your team if you were an NHL GM. Kassian is also, by all accounts, not superbly intelligent. Should we trade him away because of it?

He's still an idiot and I still wouldnt want him on my team. There are many idiots in the league who are talented but are a cancer to have in the dressing room like Kesler. Lindros comes to mind as well, really talented player but I wouldnt want him on my team.

93e6b7f1fb3dcfcf761c5f8fd78c24573b75a664

Archived