The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To win a cup you need at least two superstars

fanfor42

you need a dynamic defencemen.

OLD NHL Era= Superstar Centreman

New NHL ERA= Superstar Defencemen.

you think L.A and Chicago winning 5 of the last 6 cups depended on all star centremans?

Sure Toews and Kopitar are great players, but without Keith and Doughty those teams are nothing.

I disagree. I'd say Toews is at least as important to the Hawks as Keith is. Both superstar centers and defensmen are equally important, you need both to win a cup.

Well according to theories in this discussion, Dallas will become a contender, they got Seguin, Benn, Lehtonen and Spezza and whoever else I forgot to mention. :P

Dallas is won solid/all star goalie away from contention IMO. Lehtonen is very far from being a superstar.

This. We were masacred by injuries in the playoffs and Finals, while Boston was relatively healthy (and much healthier than us as well). I can't even remember a SCF team that had as many injuries as the 2011 Canucks.

Chicago had one injury to their 3rd pairing d-man, while staying quite healthy otherwise. Tampa Bay had big njuries to key players such as Johnson, Kucherov, and Bishop.

The Kings were practically healthy their two trips to the Finals. Quick was injured in 2012, but they had weak opponents, so they got away with it.

We had massive injuries in the finals in 2011. What would our finals have looked like if we hadn't had those three extra games against the Hawks that we shouldn't have had. That extra 5 days rest =cup. That series against the Hawks in round 1 is where we really lost our cup.

More than 2

Super: Stamkos Johnson Hedman Bishop

Super: Kane Toews Keith

Super: Getzlaf Perry Fowler

Super: Lundquist McDonaugh Nash

Super: Subban Pacioretty Price Plekanec

top 5 teams in the league.

And don't even start on there supporting casts...

Seabrok, Markov, Stepan, Kucherov, Palat, Stralman, Kesler, Hossa, Saad, St Louis, Oduya, Crawford, Petry, etc etc

Fowler and Plekanec are not Superstars. Not even close

we need the desire to win the cup as long as we have Europeans leading our army we will not win

Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk say hi.

But it's more than just superstars. If it was, the Penguins would win every year. So would the Lightning. The Capitals would have won when Ovi, Backstrom and Green were on fire. Etc., etc., etc.

We would have won if injuries hadn't gotten in the way. Malhotra even before the playoffs. Samuelsson out early on. Kesler and Henrik in the 3rd round. Hamhuis out, and Edler, Bieksa and Raymond hurt in the finals. We might still have won if matched up against the Lightning.

You can't distil winning the cup down to some simple formula.

haha im drunk dont make any sence see u tomorrow

That explains a lot. Not all of it, but a lot.

At this point the Canucks are not even close to contenders. They don't have a big nasty Dman to clear the front of the net, we don't have a Dman that can handle the puck like Erhoff, they have 1 goal scorer for 4 lines and 1 guy that tries to stick up for his team mates. There are 3 very good Dmen in the draft this year but we won't get one! We will get left overs!

Now JB is going to trade the best goalie we have for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and we are stuck with an aging goalie and an NHL unproven hopeful--looked good in AHL and doing it the NHL are different. Markstrom 1st appearance was what 3 goals on 4 shots? Willie D rides one goalie till he drops.

The Sedins are still good players but Daniel is not even close to the player he was, he used to be a 30+ goal score but last year was his best in a while at 20. I f the twins had a goal scorer with them they would be effective but there was no secondary scoring so Vrbata was moved to the second line because Bonino's scoring dried up. Lets face it the whole core are getting old and are not the players they were and without a few high end players Canucks are going to be also rans.

IMO if the Canucks are not willing to miss the playoff for a couple of years they are destined be 1st round playoff exits year after year. This year there are some very good Dmen but JB is going to settle for what will be available at 23 and maybe that's not even a Dman but another centerrman the same as we have . This year would have been a good year to miss the playoff and load up on top line talent but next year is supposed to be decent also. Time to get some high end talent before others in Pacific pass us bye.

We need a lot more than 2 superstars. Just about every NHL team has 2 superstars.

Chicago has a core of superstars, supported by some pretty good character players. They have Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Crawford as stars. Complementary players like Richards (UFA), Vermette (trade), Saad (drafted), Shaw (drafted), Hjarmalsson (drafted) and Oduya (trade) have just helped.

From a Canucks-stand point, in 2011 we had this perfect mix, but our depth or complementary players and defence weren't good enough to beat Boston's great depth, and that was the story. Our top line was shutdown by their better defenders.

These last few seasons, a solid core (be it that of Chicago or Los Angeles') followed by some neat acquisitions to get complementary players has been the biggest reason they've won the Cup.

The Canucks have some gems up front that can make up a great forward core in Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi and Cassels. They've also got a bunch of fantastic potential depth guys like Kassian, Kenins, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and the ageing Sedins as well. Up front, I believe our core is on par with others around the league. We may not have a true offensive superstar yet, but we've got clutch scorers. Benning can sign a UFA or make a trade for a Hossa/Richards-like player when the time comes to go on a deep run.

Our persistent problem is defence. Edler and Tanev are good right now, but they're no Keith-Seabrook. Comparing young defencemen, we've got no young gun on the left side to replace Hamhuis and eventually Edler. Corrado, Clendening, Tanev and Subban are all pretty good but again none of them are elite, and don't compare to the likes of Lindholm/Shea Theodore/Fowler/Derreck Pouliot/Nurse/Ekblad/Hedman/Joe Morrow, who will be the next generation's Keith-type players.

Until this franchise acquires at least 1, but ideally 2 defensive stars, they're never going to win a Cup. We came close with Edler-Ehrhoff, but even then Ehrhoff was voted 9th for Norris Trophy voting. We lost to a superior defence in 2011, and we have every single season since.

Defence is key, Chicago keeps winning on their star pairing and no team will ever win a Cup without them. Star forwards seem easy to come by, but to get that sort of quality defence is a rarity.

The Blackhawks also sucked for the better part of a decade to get all that talent. Vancouver would not allow a decade of futility, heads would roll.

you know im no biased homer and i call it how i see it with the canucks and i see horvat growing into the next toews type player. he might not reach the same elite status as toews and be a 3 time cup champ and arguably the best all around player in the game but i see a lot similarities between the two players. same stature, two way centres, good on faceoffs, similar offensive capabilities and plays with their heart on their sleeve

horvat=toews

virtanen=sharp

one can hope...

They dont play the same style at all!! It's not even close?????... They're both... wingers? With a hard shot i guess?.. Pretty terrible projection though... Evander Kane is more likely

Edler's not soft and the Sedins aren't even supposed to play physical. That's something that to this day annoys me when people say it. How often do you see Patrick Kane throwing the body?

The people who say the Sedins aren't physical, obviously have never played hockey. Nobody has taken more abuse over the past decade, they play in the corners on every shift, they rarely miss games and have been the backbone of this team. They don't fight so that makes them soft? I guess Toews, Kane, Tarasenko, Hall, Eberle, Stamkos, Parise, Kopitar, Hossa (and on and on) are soft too because they don't fight!

To win a cup you need a really good team. It doesn't matter if you have one superstar, two, three, or four. It's extremely naive to think you can do it without depth (and luck). Chicago has 3 superstars, sure, but they also have amazing 2nd and 3rd lines, a good 4th line, a solid d-core, and consistent goaltending. Boston had the same thing when they beat us.

There's no "single" way to build a cup winning roster, and to try to narrow it down to rules of thumb like "2+ superstars" is an exercise in futility. You need a really good roster through and through, and you also need star players that can get it done.

Archived