The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Just for fun, what would you do?

Not a proposal just for fun to see what CDC would do and to pass the doldrums of the next few days until the trades start to go down.

On draft day Philadelphia comes calling and say that they will trade their 7oa pick for Jake Virtanen, would you make the trade? who would you choose and why? the usually top 5 are gone and NJ took Barzal.

I would, though it'd be a tough call between Rantanen(rw), Provorov(d) or Zacha(c/lw)

-to me Zacha is a similar player to Virtanen, both have great shots, use their size and are physical, Virtanen has the edge in speed but Zacha has the edge in decision making and is a bit better playmaker

-Provorov could be the top pairing high scoring defenceman the Canucks have badly needed.

-Rantanen is intriguing, he's not as fast and for a big guy not yet as physical as Jake but he does have a higher Hockey IQ/sense, a better playmaker does have a great shot but not as heavy a shot as Jake or Zacha

For me it's a toss up between Zacha and Rantanen, as good as Provorov is you can still get a good defenceman at 23 but not as good as a forward.

I'd trade Virtanen for just about anyone in the top-10 this draft. The 2014 draft was one of the thinnest this league has seen in a long time. The top-3 picks were great, but outside of that everyone was pretty average. This year's top-5 could pretty much pass as a 1st overall in most drafts (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner) and to be honest, if Virtanen was in the 2015 draft I think he'd slot in around 15-20th.

I'd trade Virtanen for just about anyone in the top-10 this draft. The 2014 draft was one of the thinnest this league has seen in a long time. The top-3 picks were great, but outside of that everyone was pretty average. This year's top-5 could pretty much pass as a 1st overall in most drafts (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner) and to be honest, if Virtanen was in the 2015 draft I think he'd slot in around 15-20th.

I kinda feel the same, I think that Virtanen in this draft could have gone from 10 to 15, it all depends on how teams would compare him to say Crouse, who until the end was projected to go top 10 and I think at one point was top 5. Crouse hasn't really impressed that much, I'd take Jake over him

Provarov 100%.....IMO he could go top 5

I really dont see Virtanen becoming a top line forward, for me his play style and skills now make him more projected to be a career 2nd line winger.

But I do love this draft class i wish we had the Assets to get 2 picks in the top 10, for me Provarov and Zacha are my 2 favorites out side of the consensus top 5

Trade Higgins for a 2nd rounder (New Jersey, 36th overall)

Trade Miller and Jensen for a 2nd rounder to San Jose. (39th overall)

Draft Chabot at 23

Noah Juulsen at 36

Nicholas Meloche at 39

Parker Wotherspoon or Stephen Desrocher at 114.

Deven Sideroff at 144 RW Kamloops.

Devante Stephens at 174

5 D, 1 RW.

If the 2014 draft was the thinnest in a long time why do you still slobber over Nylander/Ehlers as being 1st line superstars and Virtanen a plug? Contradiction is a hell of a drug.

Trade Higgins for a 2nd rounder (New Jersey, 36th overall)

Trade Miller and Jensen for a 2nd rounder to San Jose. (39th overall)

Draft Chabot at 23

Nic Meloche at 36

Christian Fischer at 39

Roope Hintz or Caleb Jones at 114.

Spencer Smallman at 144 RW Kamloops.

Devante Stephens at 174

3 or 4 D, 2 or 3 F.

Not bad, but I'd much rather this.

Hanifin looks like a sure bet, only he would suffice to give up one of our top prospects, I just think he can play at a higher level than provorov

I'd absolutely do it for Hanafin, and think about it for Provorov even. Marner's a little light for me but has so much skill I'd think about him as well as Barzal, but I'm not as sure of the others outside of that top 5.

But probably, yes. I like Virtanen a lot, but still think we need to find that top end skilled player to compliment all our character and hard working players.

If the 2014 draft was the thinnest in a long time why do you still slobber over Nylander/Ehlers as being 1st line superstars and Virtanen a plug? Contradiction is a hell of a drug.

Maybe he's said that in other threads, but I don't see him saying it here. Why even bring it up? Why not comment on the topic at hand?

I disagree. I think if Lawson Crouse is considered a top 10 pick, so would Virtanen. Virtanen is about the same size, but even faster, and with a better shot. I know that's not all, Crouse brings things like a slightly better defensive game etc. But I would take Virtanen over Crouse at the power forward role. Virtanen would go top 10. You just can't pass up on that kind of pure athleticism. I don't care what anyone says. To me, one of the key factors in drafting is athleticism. You can coach everything but natural athleticism. That's why you need to pick guys that already have that box covered, so you can teach them how to use it on the NHL level.

Archived