The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing Matt Belesky

Bob Murray says the Ducks will not be able to re-sign Matt Beleskey before July 1. Said latest offer was rejected

Matt Belesky is going to test free agency this coming 1st of July, and I believe he could be an assest to us. With Matthias walking, that frees us up 1.75 million in cap. We use that cap plus trade Higgins to NYR for their 59th pick. Rangers get an affordable role player to bolster their bottom 6. He's more expensive than Tanner Glass but is a huge improvement to a weak bottom 6.

With Higgins and Matthias gone that's 4.25 million in cap space reclaimed.

Sign Belesky to a 4 year, $15 million contract.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Belesky-Bonino-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Friesen-Dorsett

Kassian, Vey

Bob Murray says the Ducks will not be able to re-sign Matt Beleskey before July 1. Said latest offer was rejected

Matt Belesky is going to test free agency this coming 1st of July, and I believe he could be an assest to us. With Matthias walking, that frees us up 1.75 million in cap. We use that cap plus trade Higgins to NYR for their 59th pick. Rangers get an affordable role player to bolster their bottom 6. He's more expensive than Tanner Glass but is a huge improvement to a weak bottom 6.

With Higgins and Matthias gone that's 4.25 million in cap space reclaimed.

Sign Belesky to a 4 year, $15 million contract.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Belesky-Bonino-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Friesen-Dorsett

Kassian, Vey

Belesky is going to fetch 4.5 + on the open market. We don't have the cap space to accomendate this

Belesky is going to fetch 4.5 + on the open market. We don't have the cap space to accomendate this

If you had read my whole post, you would know we would. We could afford at least 4-4.25 million maybe more with Higgins and Matthias gone, without affecting our current cap.

Hes gonna want close to 5 million. No way we pay that. He plays with 2 of the best players in the league of course he's gonna put up points.

Its like putting ________ with the Sedin twins of course he's gonna put up points

I can't see how he would get that much.

GMs usually over pay on July 1st and regret it for years to come.

Beleskey may well prove the exception, but generally I don't believe it makes sense to target a guy who has just had a career year in goals at the age of 26 on the strength of a shooting % that is over 5% higher than his career shooting %. The chance of overpayment is too high.

I can understand the original poster considering this guy, who in addition to his goals, most at even strength, had really good Corsi and Fenwick stats this season.

His Corsi, Fenwick, goals and shooting % are all considerably better than his career norms. Someone will look at this past season and he'll cash in. He might prove this year wasn't an aberration, but I'd rather not be the team running the risk and winning this particular bidding war.

He's a good player, but I wouldn't want to lock him up for multiple years. We shouldn't be locking guys up for multiple years this off season, because next years free agency class is stacked. Even if only 25% of those players reach free agency it's still a very good class. Give the young guys a chance in the top 6 this upcoming season, and then target 1 or 2 big free agents in 2016. We will have a ridiculous amount of cap space, and can make a big splash(like Minny did with Parise/Suter). Next year is the real transition year, and if done right we could be in a great position come 2016/2017.

Belesky may end up being the second coming of Dustin Penner. He also played with Getz and Perry. Then he flamed out after he joined the Oilers. We need smart hockey moves based upon a sufficient sample size.

Is Derek Roy available??

Why on earth would we want to sign a player whose stats are tilted because he played with Perry and Getzlaf? He lacks the ability to change the game on his own, and needs good linemates. Not to mention that Free Agency is the worst way to acquire talent, unless its a big name superstar, these mid-level FA's can really bust your team in the salary cap era.

If you had read my whole post, you would know we would. We could afford at least 4-4.25 million maybe more with Higgins and Matthias gone, without affecting our current cap.

If you had looked at our cap situation you'd know that we won't. We currently have $5M in cap space (without Matthias) with only 18 players on the roster. That means we still need to add 5 more players with that remaining space.

Three of those will be Baertschi, Clendening and Corrado, so not likely to be league minimum level deals. That leaves two of Richardson, Vey, Weber and Stanton to fill out the remaining spots. Markstrom vs Lack factors into the cap space too, and moving Higgins' $2.5M would help, but none of that is near enough to let us sign a player for $4M+ in free agency.

Archived