The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks-Markstrom looking at long term deal

With the tremendous season Markstrom just had in Utica, he clearly deserves a long-term deal. Sure, he hasn't done much in the NHL so far, but the Canucks would be wise to lock the future Ben Bishop asap, because you all know what happens when you go year to year with these guys. One year he could be a $9mil goaltender, and with Miller here at $6mil or more if he is re-signed, well, that's just too much for any team to use for goaltending, even the Canucks, who are a cap team no matter what.

I think the goal would be to play him as much as Lack did last season, so Miller can continue getting some rest, and we can have a 1A 1B situation in goal, and that has worked for a lot of teams. It is unfortunate that last year Miller got hurt so Lack had to be used so much down the stretch, because maybe we could have advanced in the playoffs. With a hot goaltender, who knows. Anything can happen. Sure, it would be nice to improve on the defense a bit so the goaltending matters a bit less, but it's not like we cannot trust our defense. They're really good.

Here's hoping Markstrom becomes the next Ben Bishop like we've all heard. It would continue a tremendous run for Canuck goaltenders here.

With the tremendous season Markstrom just had in Utica, he clearly deserves a long-term deal. Sure, he hasn't done much in the NHL so far, but the Canucks would be wise to lock the future Ben Bishop asap, because you all know what happens when you go year to year with these guys. One year he could be a $9mil goaltender, and with Miller here at $6mil or more if he is re-signed, well, that's just too much for any team to use for goaltending, even the Canucks, who are a cap team no matter what.

I think the goal would be to play him as much as Lack did last season, so Miller can continue getting some rest, and we can have a 1A 1B situation in goal, and that has worked for a lot of teams. It is unfortunate that last year Miller got hurt so Lack had to be used so much down the stretch, because maybe we could have advanced in the playoffs. With a hot goaltender, who knows. Anything can happen. Sure, it would be nice to improve on the defense a bit so the goaltending matters a bit less, but it's not like we cannot trust our defense. They're really good.

Here's hoping Markstrom becomes the next Ben Bishop like we've all heard. It would continue a tremendous run for Canuck goaltenders here.

Don't worry I'm sure he'll be signed soon for 4 years 16 Million. Fits with Bennings plan

You make me laugh apollo. Miller is not better than Price, Crawford, Schneider, Rinne and the like. His underlying numbers aren't very good. And Markstrom is a very good AHL goalie whose only game last year in the NHL saw him get pulled after letting in three goals in as many shots. Yeah what a gamer!!

That's called being r-e-a-l-i-s-t-i-c.

Actually Markstrom played 2 games, the second against Arizona which was a 3-1 win.

Why, because we weren't in a position to make a ludacris trade and take advantage of a team that made a couple knee jerk trades? Calgary got one player. LA got one player. Oilers got better, but we have seen them fail before when nobody thought they could anymore.

We have some promising talent of our own knocking at the door right now too, so I would stop munching on the crazy pills and start thinking a little more rationally. We pretty much won the draft last year, we can't expect to do that every year.

Plus our 2nd round pick from this draft will be playing on or 2nd line next season, call me crazy but that is more exciting than picking a player you are going to have to wait 3-4 years to see have a chance to play pro.

Nvm

Why, because we weren't in a position to make a ludacris trade and take advantage of a team that made a couple knee jerk trades? Calgary got one player. LA got one player. Oilers got better, but we have seen them fail before when nobody thought they could anymore.

We have some promising talent of our own knocking at the door right now too, so I would stop munching on the crazy pills and start thinking a little more rationally. We pretty much won the draft last year, we can't expect to do that every year.

Plus our 2nd round pick from this draft will be playing on or 2nd line next season, call me crazy but that is more exciting than picking a player you are going to have to wait 3-4 years to see have a chance to play pro.

Trading Lack for peanuts. Siging Sbisa to his deal, Dorsett's deal while not as bad isn't great, Benning going with Miller and Markstrom. I'm not saying he should sell the farm for Looch or O'Reilly.

He also left some players on the board for other less know people. And I appreciate the risk, but there is significant risks there. Don't mistake me being worried with me being panicked. Boeser pick was great, not who I wanted but still a great pick. Just wish Bieksa was gone and we got more value for Lack. With rumours swirling Bieksa may become jaded if we keep him too long. I believe in Benning, I'm just questioing some of his moves opposed to the cliche "He's Benning he's all knowing you are all just losers on CDC herp derp".

I don't have a problem with a 3 year deal at an average of max $1.5M, he still has to prove he can play in the NHL at a top level. 2 of those years he will be a back up under MIller, who will be able to help Markstrom and mentor him. Then after 2 years when Millers contract is up and the Canucks can make a decision if Markstrom is ready for the starting role or not, and if he isn't well it's not that big of a contract, but if he is ready it's a steal in his 3rd year and then he can prove to everyone he needs a pay raise after.

I would love a long term deal. He looks like he willl be a stud which means we would be paying him a smaller paycheck right now for many years rather than doing a bridge and then having to pay him miller money if he breaks out which it looks like he will.

Rare to see on here some optimism so kudos to you!

I think a 4 year deal would be great, at a lower cap hit as he is backing up for two more seasons.

Archived