The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2015 Draft Overview: Big Picture!

Remy

Well it is painfully obvious how unprepared they were for it then. By the guy's own admission he botched one or two of his first rounders.

Your prob right about that, I heard they really thought they could trade those picks for the 3rd over all, but when that didn't pan out, they were not prepared for that, good on them!

You really have to wonder why he dropped that much then? That is a pretty big red flag when you dropped by more than a hundred picks.

yah fair enough there must have been a reason but im sure you can take a risk on a fourth rounder he still did well on brandon wheat kings but ya calgary and isles loadd up on defensive prospects meanwhile we took a bunch more centers we dont really need seeing we have sedin bonino horvat gaunce cassels and mccann

The truth is that lack was given a third round pick value by most analysts since the trade rumours came out. The problem is lesser and equal goaltenders fetched better. Contract considered , after the shock wore off , it's not that bad. Not good but not bad

My 2 cents, we needed to accelerate the overhaul of the defence, which meant making deals for picks and going after some of the good defencemen available in the second round. There was a report we could have traded Lack for a 2nd had we dealt him in the West, which should have happened, then they should have dealt another player to get an additional pick. We should have gone after those defencemen, should have been our #1 priority. The other picks we made would not have changed.

The truth is that lack was given a third round pick value by most analysts since the trade rumours came out. The problem is lesser and equal goaltenders fetched better. Contract considered , after the shock wore off , it's not that bad. Not good but not bad

The Lack trade is what it is, I'm not even upset about that, but WHY didn't JB take the 2016 3rd offer for Bieksa from SJ? He even said 2016 was a deeper draft than this year??? I DONT GET IT!

Also why wasn't he in on the Hamilton trade? even if he didn't get Hamilton he could have driven the price up.

The Lack trade is what it is, I'm not even upset about that, but WHY didn't JB take the 2016 3rd offer for Bieksa from SJ? He even said 2016 was a deeper draft than this year??? I DONT GET IT!

Also why wasn't he in on the Hamilton trade? even if he didn't get Hamilton he could have driven the price up.

We didn't have the asset to fetch him. We could have offered Virtanen, Cassel, and our 23rd for Hamilton to drive the price up but if Calgary didn't bite, we will be having JB head for dinner.

not sure where bennings head is at drafting need to fire the old scouts we constantly pass over good picks for example ryan pilon was ranked 23rd overall fell to 150th we cluld have had him in 4th round but instead we pick some no name college center who we will have to wait at least 3 yrs for smooth move benning not sure why you wouldnt want a 55 point whl dman as your 4th round pick who can run a pp and is gritty. calgary and islanders have much better scouts working in their organization

That means 29 other teams also chose not to select Pilon...so I guess 29 out of 30 teams have crap scouting, including the Flames? I guess the Isles scouting also kinda sucks, otherwise why wait so long to select Pilon if he's so good?

Your logic makes little sense.

My question is how will briseois be rated in nhl16? He's going to be the best pick for us in the game since Boeser is going into college hockey. It's a selfish question but not sure if the games going to be worth it.

I have high hopes for the team still though. I think some GM's were using our fan base against us. We just gotta learn to roll with the punches and trust the tried and true ways of building like Benning detriot and other teams have used.

My wish list for the summer is to deal Higgins and Bieksa. We get that done and maybe snag another prospect from one of my those deals and some picks and I'm smiling ear to ear.

Let's not give those other GM's any ammo. We just gotta be patient. If we struggle next season will unload more vets at the deadline.

Patience my friends, patience.

Hope briseois has a high top 6 potential at least :)

We didn't have the asset to fetch him. We could have offered Virtanen, Cassel, and our 23rd for Hamilton to drive the price up but if Calgary didn't bite, we will be having JB head for dinner.

Virtanen and Cassels? Are you trying to gutt the team? Virt is a poster boy for change is coming and Cassels is highly underrated. Bieksa + shink + gaunce. + 1stcmaybe. Even that.

I know what your saying, but here is the problem. The management seem's to think you need to have 35 yr olds on the team to stay competitive. Well if they keep this up year after year and slowly inject some youth we will still be a middle of the pack team with middle of the pack picks. (can you see a trend here)?

Management is keen on injecting youth into the lineup over time, and players like Miller and Vrbata were signed specifically to give us a fighting chance to win while buying time for prospects to ease into the NHL. This has somehow been flandarized into 'management will continually sign veterans players every offseason for the next decade.'

Transition plan, guys.

I'm still skeptical, subject to individual analysis of their masterplan.

That said, solid post, OP.

Appreciate the clear overview, & good insights detailing why we should exercise patience in assessment. Imagine you win your fair share of donut shop debates & chess matches.

Archived