The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on TSN 1040 (11:30 July 2)

Gstank29

So everyone complaining about any contracts given out, that was Gilman's job not Benning

I don't know where you got that.

Just to continue to update people,

Jeff Paterson after the interview specifically stated of an encounter between himself and Gilman in which he tried to speak with Gilman about the contracts - Gilman wanted nothing to do with it and didn't want to talk about it.

Pretty much insinuating Gilman had nothing to do with it.

I took the important parts of the conversation and typed it out. Much bigger summary.

On the three releases within management:

Linden: tough day, they’ve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, I’ve had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization I’ve wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

On if it was his decision

Linden: I think it’s my job to look at the organization, and I don’t make decisions independently, but I feel it’s the right direction

On if there was a different philosophy between those fired and current mgmt – why

Linden: I certainly don’t want to get into specifics and performance, it’s dependant on where I think we need to be. On the size of the group we have, it was hard to conduct business. That’s as far as I’m going

On the size of the office comment - are you replacing?

Linden: Many of the responsibilities will be absorbed will be within organization. No decisions, no imminent hirings but I have ideas.

On if they got calls for them

Linden: I hadn’t. Tough conversations, thinks they’ll both get jobs quickly.

On why the releases of these people didn't happen early

Linden: I wanted to let things settle, owed it to myself. As far as timing goes, there’s never a good or right time. Did it for the right reasons and to serve organization the best.

Did these moves have something to do with them having a stronger voice in prior regime?

Linden: I think there’s always a challenge with bringing two groups together – but they’re quality people. I don’t think there was a big deal in that. This structure is better suited (without them)

Is there a magnified glass on this management group?

Linden: We came in last year, made big changes with the goal of getting younger and creating more depth. Was not going to be a snap of the fingers. Going to be difficult decisions, made some of them already. Fans will support, fans will disagree. People needed to realize there would be difficult decisions

Lorne oversaw the Utica program – good year for Utica, so he should get top marks and why should he be let go?

Linden: I’ve known lorne for twenty years and consider him a good friend and it wasn’t about performance. He was architect of that (being Utica). I called Robert Esche (GM of Utica) and Travis Green to discuss the future. Again, not about performance but vision for future.

On if Giman did contracts under previous tenure – was he with this?

Linden: he’s not just a numbers guy, he was much more than that. He applied himself. Currently, we’re managing cap internally. We’ll assess and evaluate going forward.

On a couple of logistics things going forward, who’s managing scouting (pro/amateur)?

Linden: currently, I’ve thought of where we’re going but until we firm those up, obviously a tough day, but I’ve got some ideas and Jim and I have discussed

On if there would there be any compensation if Gilman and Henning are hired by a different org?

Linden: haven’t looked into it yet. They’re good people. Can’t tell you that right now.

On analytics:

Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. It’s not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and they’ll continue with it. I’m comfortable with that right now.

but why you lie bro

Seems pretty clear that old group was not getting along with new group.

Old group didn't win the cup, so they have little to leverage off of. New group maybe making questionable decisions, but dissension between two conflicting management groups is only going to make that worse. One thing Linden is doing absolutely right is running Canucks like a business that needs revamping in a big way. Don't focus on individual performances and focus more on the overall direction and putting a new group in place. Some moves will sting, for sure. You can have the smartest group in the world, if they don't get along, business will fail.

Cant say I am a fan of this move. I dont know much about Eric Crawford. I would assume it was Marc Crawford that told Eric about Ronalds Kenins....so that was an ok move. Can someone tell me why Ron Delorme is still head of amateur scouting? Lorne Henning/Gilman you can thank for the success of placing our own farm team with Utica. Its been a huge successs. 2 years, and a Calder final. The community has embraced that franchise and will be a success story for years to come. Blake Price had said after this interview with Linden that he had bumped into Gilman after the Sbisa/Dorsett extensions(keep in mind Gilman is the contract and Cap guy) and did not want to say a word about those 2 contracts....I am thinking he was against the price and knew it was a terrible move. These are good hockey guys and will do well somewhere else. I am just really starting to question exactly what the organization as a whole is wanting to do!

Those guys were from the MG regime. They were nice enough to give them a year and TL and JB didn't see them being compatible with their vision for the club and they let them go. That isn't some new thing you guys are complaining about. It happens with every organization who has brought new leadership in their front office.

This is just JB and TL making the organization move towards their vision of how the club should be run and where and what to do next. They have every right to hire people they prefer instead of people who were loyal to the vision of the previous administration.

Linden: tough day, theyve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, Ive had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization Ive wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

- They all have other jobs available to them anyway. Esp. Gilman.

Linden: I think its my job to look at the organization, and I dont make decisions independently, but I feel its the right direction

- Linden is a brave soldier, taking it on the chin. That's why Faq got him onboard for this process.

On if there was a different philosophy between those fired and current mgmt why

Linden: I certainly dont want to get into specifics and performance, its dependant on where I think we need to be. On the size of the group we have, it was hard to conduct business. Thats as far as Im going

- Faq sees a probable decline in attendance and wanted to cut costs. Bingo.

Linden: Many of the responsibilities will be absorbed will be within organization. No decisions, no imminent hirings but I have ideas.

- "Hey, kid!" "Who me?" "Yeah, you. Congrats, you're up." "Ooooh crap."

Linden: I hadnt. Tough conversations, thinks theyll both get jobs quickly.

- They handled their own calls.

Linden: I wanted to let things settle, owed it to myself. As far as timing goes, theres never a good or right time. Did it for the right reasons and to serve organization the best.

- This extends our off-season's newswave.

Did these moves have something to do with them having a stronger voice in prior regime?

Linden: I think theres always a challenge with bringing two groups together but theyre quality people. I dont think there was a big deal in that. This structure is better suited (without them)

- Faq pays the bills here.

Linden: We came in last year, made big changes with the goal of getting younger and creating more depth. Was not going to be a snap of the fingers. Going to be difficult decisions, made some of them already. Fans will support, fans will disagree. People needed to realize there would be difficult decisions

- I knew what this job was when I took it.

Lorne oversaw the Utica program good year for Utica, so he should get top marks and why should he be let go?

Linden: Ive known lorne for twenty years and consider him a good friend and it wasnt about performance. He was architect of that (being Utica). I called Robert Esche (GM of Utica) and Travis Green to discuss the future. Again, not about performance but vision for future.

- "Remember us saying change is coming? You're up, boys."

On if Giman did contracts under previous tenure was he with this?

Linden: hes not just a numbers guy, he was much more than that. He applied himself. Currently, were managing cap internally. Well assess and evaluate going forward.

- Gilman gets a full recommendation.

On a couple of logistics things going forward, whos managing scouting (pro/amateur)?

Linden: currently, Ive thought of where were going but until we firm those up, obviously a tough day, but Ive got some ideas and Jim and I have discussed

- "It's a process."

On if there would there be any compensation if Gilman and Henning are hired by a different org?

Linden: havent looked into it yet. Theyre good people. Cant tell you that right now.

- "Kidding me? No chance."

On analytics:

Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. Its not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and theyll continue with it. Im comfortable with that right now.

- "God, I'm tired of hearing and having to speak about this. Analytics? Whatever, we're rebuilding, nerds."

So everyone complaining about any contracts given out, that was Gilman's job not Benning

Not sure how you came to that conclusion when Linden said all of them were given a diminished role with less powerful voices. It's obvious gilman wouldn't be doing contracts in that case. Plus Blake Price and Sekaras said they saw gilman a few days after the sbisa and dorsett contracts and he basically rolled his eyes at them when they asked him about those contracts and he walked away not wanting to discuss those contracts.

The organization was / is stale, a stale "core" from the top down.

I'm stunned some fans question these firings, it was bound to happen, I was surprised they didn't clean house last summer.

I guess time will tell about Delorme. It seems he's done pretty well over the last couple of years , but he had a brutal run for a while there, it's like we didn't even have a draft pick for 6 years and all we have to show for it is Prust and, ya... Tanev wasn't drafted.

I took the important parts of the conversation and typed it out. Much bigger summary.

Linden: tough day, they’ve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, I’ve had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization I’ve wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

Linden: I think it’s my job to look at the organization, and I don’t make decisions independently, but I feel it’s the right direction

Good summary. Thanks. Not surprisingly Linden did not really provide much insight into what was going on.

I was very interested in the question from Sekeres about Utica. (By the way, Utica sold out their season tickets on July 1.) So how can you fire a guy after doing such a good job. As this summary indicates Linden did not have much of an answer.

I was also interested in the question of who was the point man on contract negotiations this year. (Under Gillis it was Gilman.) Linden did not answer that.

My theory is that there were just too many guys in senior roles. Under Gillis, he was President and GM and the AGMs were Gillman and Henning, making a senior management group of 3.

Now the senior group is Linden, Benning, and Weisbrod. Having Gillman and Henning as well probably just made things too cumbersome with too much time spent on internal argument over what to do. Benning probably found that rather than arguing with Henning and Gilman and then over-ruling them it made more sense just to let them go.

But I do wonder what role Gilman had in the Sbisa, Dorsett, Miller and Tanev deals.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion when Linden said all of them were given a diminished role with less powerful voices. It's obvious gilman wouldn't be doing contracts in that case. Plus Blake Price and Sekaras said they saw gilman a few days after the sbisa and dorsett contracts and he basically rolled his eyes at them when they asked him about those contracts and he walked away not wanting to discuss those contracts.

Helpful insight. That adds a lot to our understanding of what is going on. Makes me nervous about the future.

Also, while Linden is the front man i suspect the firings were Benning's call.

Am I the only person who thinks Benning is kind of like Donald Trump ("You're fired!")

Linden: tough day, theyve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, Ive had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization Ive wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

- They all have other jobs available to them anyway. Esp. Gilman.

Linden: I think its my job to look at the organization, and I dont make decisions independently, but I feel its the right direction

- Linden is a brave soldier, taking it on the chin. That's why Faq got him onboard for this process.

On if there was a different philosophy between those fired and current mgmt why

Linden: I certainly dont want to get into specifics and performance, its dependant on where I think we need to be. On the size of the group we have, it was hard to conduct business. Thats as far as Im going

- Faq sees a probable decline in attendance and wanted to cut costs. Bingo.

- "Hey, kid!" "Who me?" "Yeah, you. Congrats, you're up." "Ooooh crap."

Linden: I hadnt. Tough conversations, thinks theyll both get jobs quickly.

- They handled their own calls.

Linden: I wanted to let things settle, owed it to myself. As far as timing goes, theres never a good or right time. Did it for the right reasons and to serve organization the best.

- This extends our off-season's newswave.

Linden: I think theres always a challenge with bringing two groups together but theyre quality people. I dont think there was a big deal in that. This structure is better suited (without them)

- Faq pays the bills here.

- I knew what this job was when I took it.

Lorne oversaw the Utica program good year for Utica, so he should get top marks and why should he be let go?

Linden: Ive known lorne for twenty years and consider him a good friend and it wasnt about performance. He was architect of that (being Utica). I called Robert Esche (GM of Utica) and Travis Green to discuss the future. Again, not about performance but vision for future.

- "Remember us saying change is coming? You're up, boys."

On if Giman did contracts under previous tenure was he with this?

Linden: hes not just a numbers guy, he was much more than that. He applied himself. Currently, were managing cap internally. Well assess and evaluate going forward.

- Gilman gets a full recommendation.

On a couple of logistics things going forward, whos managing scouting (pro/amateur)?

Linden: currently, Ive thought of where were going but until we firm those up, obviously a tough day, but Ive got some ideas and Jim and I have discussed

- "It's a process."

Linden: havent looked into it yet. Theyre good people. Cant tell you that right now.

- "Kidding me? No chance."

On analytics:

Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. Its not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and theyll continue with it. Im comfortable with that right now.

- "God, I'm tired of hearing and having to speak about this. Analytics? Whatever, we're rebuilding, nerds."

^

You must love it though, because you can not stop writing out your ass about it. If you think this team is that bad why the hell are you following them. If nothing they do, or can do, will ever be good enough in your eyes stop watching . Why put yourself through the disappointment and the rest of this forum with your annoying opinion.

Archived