The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many fighting majors will the Canucks get this season?

Nooks

How many fighting majors will the Canucks get this season?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They looked for fights and rarely found willing partners.

Fighting a bunch doesn't mean you are a feared fighter. Just means more players are willing to drop with you.

I agree.

Kassian had 3 turned down fights with Maroon, a roughing with Reaves (even though they dropped em), and was turned down by Phaneuf.

He's not the best fighter but isn't afraid to drop em. He tried to get Nolan to go a few times in the Torts season but was declined quite a bit. For a while (first two seasons with us) he went after Benn and Dillon for a few games only to be rejected.

His Torts season is a great example of his intimidation and toughness... Which is why JB's comments on him not being tough kinda bothered me.

Bieksa likes to spotpick (he said so himself, nothing wrong spotpicking unless you're a 4th line goon) so obviously he gets turned down quite a bit as well.

I agree.

Kassian had 3 turned down fights with Maroon, a roughing with Reaves (even though they dropped em), and was turned down by Phaneuf.

He's not the best fighter but isn't afraid to drop em. He tried to get Nolan to go a few times in the Torts season but was declined quite a bit. For a while (first two seasons with us) he went after Benn and Dillon for a few games only to be rejected.

His Torts season is a great example of his intimidation and toughness... Which is why JB's comments on him not being tough kinda bothered me.

Bieksa likes to spotpick (he said so himself, nothing wrong spotpicking unless you're a 4th line goon) so obviously he gets turned down quite a bit as well.

Well once a player on the ice accused Bieksa of being a spotpicker and what did Bieksa do?

Looked that sumbitch in the eye and said:

"Do something about it"

As for Kassian, he fights sloppy as hell and never looks like he going to win but if he tags you once it's Ivan Drago vs Apollo Creed. That does get you less partners. Don't know if he was feared but he certainly was refused a lot of dances.

Well once a player on the ice accused Bieksa of being a spotpicker and what did Bieksa do?

Looked that sumbitch in the eye and said:

"Do something about it"

As for Kassian, he fights sloppy as hell and never looks like he going to win but if he tags you once it's Ivan Drago vs Apollo Creed. That does get you less partners. Don't know if he was feared but he certainly was refused a lot of dances.

yeah. It was Fraser that called out Bieksa.

In my eyes it's fine to spotpick if you're a 6'1 dman playing top four minutes. Dont know why people are so defensive about it.

Kassian is a sloppy fighter but has that left that will mess you up. He also has that psycho edge to him where he'll end up doing something stupid, which is probably why he was feared.

Sestitos career in the nhl is over....how John Scott has a job still baffles me

You mean just like how:

Anthony Peluso

Tim Jackman

Zac Rinaldo

Patrick Bordeleau

Jordan Nolan

Eric Boulton

Zach Sill

Ryan Reaves

Brian McGrattan

Cody McCormick

Luke Gazdic

Shawn Thornton (him now, not 5 years ago)

Chris Thorburn

all still have jobs?

Most teams still do a have a fighter. Give it up.

Is this a joke?

This fight made me put him on the list.

Granted Bodie isn't a great fighter, but he still has 5 inches and a good 40 pounds on Sill.

Sill doesn't back down and will throw with anyone. He is incapable of putting up points at the NHL which is why I had him on that list.

Also this:

Stoner isn't a bad fighter.

I just hope they are good fighting majors and not stupid ones, fights, (like the posting above) where Lucic and Prust just drop the gloves after the drop of the puck are stupid.

Those kind of majors do nothing for the game and I hope those ones are down in numbers

Is it just me who remembers the Canucks being passive to aggressiveness from another team, with no penalties called until they responded back, and many were just called retaliatory?

The league looked like it was going to favour speed and skill and Gilles built a team with that in mind, and then the Canucks got manhandled and pounded into injuries with some non calls .and were rendered ineffective in the end

What if we go the aggressive way now and the power shifts to speed and skill with no hitting (It is almost that way now, with suspensions handed out for micro second, impossible to change momentum hits)

I think Benning believes you can't have too much of one type of player and need a good balance (which is a good thing)

The players we have are not goons, but I hope we come out hitting the body within the rules, rather than waiting to see if the other team will play shin hockey with us and instead have the opposition dislike playing us because of our tenacity through hard work

Often it is tenacity, not talent, that rules the day

Maybe even without a stud defenceman we can have success, because Tenacity seems what Benning is looking for?

Success does not come easy — it is the result of a lot of hard work and dedication and most importantly — TENACITY

Kassian barely fought because of his back and people always turning him down. If he didn't have back issues I feel like he would be way more feared and a much better player than he is already.

Hard to be a powerforward with a bad back, look how much it slowed down big Bert.

I agree.

There are players like that on every team. Every team has players who "try" to drop the gloves, and then there are those like Dorsett, who don't hesitate and play with a true mean streak. If you ever go to a real game and watch Dorsett leave the ice, he occasionally gets extremely pissed and SLAMS the door shut as he goes to sit on the bench. It happens all the time but the TV cameras don't spot it.

Kassian is a sloppy fighter but has that left that will mess you up. He also has that psycho edge to him where he'll end up doing something stupid, which is probably why he was feared.

...and which is also probably one reason why he was traded.

Arizona picked him up as a UFA to put the City of Glendale in line if they don't get their arena back

"That's right you retired Canadians and disinterested Americans....if you don't buy season tickets we are leaving john...what's his name?.....oh yeah John Scott in your neighboring RV camps and you'll never get rid of him. He is obviously smarter than the average bear after all....just not the really smart ones.

Was that necessary? Ask yourself.....

What would John Scott do

Now you are thinking....probably play five minutes out of sixty....but you are incorrect!

Incorrect I say!!

He will play eight minutes, and if he is earning his pay, he will spend ten more in the dressing room on a misconduct, and a big "break" from the rigors of....you know....hockey?

Rather than worrying about fighting numbers, I am more interested in players finishing their checks. I think that is far more of an intimidation factor than fighting and ending up shorthanded if you get the extra minutes. It is good to have guys that will answer the bell but you also need to intimidate with hits.

Prust will be spending his time in the box and will be unavailable.

Would love to see Connor McDiagle matched up against Prust - Sutter - Dorsett to see how he fairs

That was funny! Conner McDaigle...lol hahahhahaha. Hope not, but I remember that turd of overhype.

Archived