The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

China blasts: Shipment explodes in Tianjin port

elvis15

I'm sure we'll hear more about this over the course of the day, and if anyone knows the area at all it might yield some clues as to what could be involved, but that's a big explosion.

Nothing overly graphic in any of the links, just a huge fireball filmed from a distance and the one guy with a bit of blood below (I've put that in spoilers just in case).

Breaking News@NewsOnTheMin 3h

BREAKING: large explosion hits China's Tianjin, reason unknown. (@L0gg0l)

Apparent casualties after huge explosion in China's Tianjin. Pictures shared on Weibo (@L0gg0l)

BREAKING VIDEO: Of the Tianjin China explosion (via @thelastnext)

VIDEO: Big explosion and fire ball reported in Tianjing, China.

Links to one of the videos (can't embed them) check out the twitter page for the other:

https://twitter.com/NewsOnTheMin/status/631512664624205824

William Locke @thelastnext

People close to the spot said the explosion possibly caused from oil tanks of a logistics company. NOT confirmed yet.

CMOSchAUsAAq6F1.jpg

CMOSchCVAAA4vfj.jpg

EDIT: adding an article with more detail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33896292

Massive explosions have hit China's northern city of Tianjin, reportedly injuring at least 300 people and causing at least seven deaths.

According to Chinese state media, the blasts occurred when a shipment of explosives blew up in the port city at about 23:30 (16:30 GMT).

Pictures and video shared on social media showed flames lighting up the sky and damage to nearby buildings.

Shockwaves could apparently be felt several kilometres away from Tianjin.

The Editor of the BBC's Chinese Service, Raymond Li, says all indications are that it is an industrial accident.

The first explosion was followed by another 30 seconds later.

An official Chinese seismic agency said the force of the first explosion was equivalent to three tons of TNT, the second was 21 tons.

Further blasts were subsequently triggered nearby, Xinhua state news agency said.

Ms Yang, an eyewitness, told local media she was out shopping when "suddenly from behind there was a big fireball and explosion".

"At the time of the explosion the ground was shaking fiercely, nearby cars and buildings were shaking, a few buildings' glass all broke and everyone started to run," she said.

"Now all the residents are gathered in the street."

Another eyewitness, Canadian teacher Monica Andrews, awoke in panic after what she thought was an earthquake.

"I...looked out the window and the sky was red... I just watched a second explosion go off and just pure chaos, everyone leaving their apartment buildings thinking it's an earthquake, cars trying to leave the complex and just it was crazy the amount of light that this explosion and fire lit up, she told the BBC.

China National Radio said cracks were visible in buildings near the site of the blast.

Several tower blocks near the port area are without power, reported the Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

The blasts took place in a warehouse area storing dangerous goods in Tianjin's Binhai development zone, Xinhua said.

Tianjin, home to some 15 million people, is a major port and industrial area to the south-east of the Chinese capital, Beijing.

With how cheaply and crapilly China makes products and buildings I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

I'd imagine its more about "how often we don't hear about it" rather than it not actually happening.

Does anyone suspect this to be a terrorist-esque attack? Or is this just bad Dangerous Materials handling?

I'd just call it another day in China.

When you take shortcuts, whether it be on materials, or technology, disasters are more likely to happen. China is absolutely notorious for taking such shortcuts, which is why the country is stereotyped for producing junk products. Buildings and infrastructure are no exception.

I'd just call it another day in China.

When you take shortcuts, whether it be on materials, or technology, disasters are more likely to happen. China is absolutely notorious for taking such shortcuts, which is why the country is stereotyped for producing junk products. Buildings and infrastructure are no exception.

yeah, like all iphones, surface 3, all the gadget the world uses are all crap.

this probably has more to do with worker safety regulations and unsafe practices. you see rail derailments, chemical spills, oil spills, bridge collapse often in the US too.

Archived