The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm going to say he is the exact opposite, he is the most overrated prospect in the history of our franchise. The only thing Subban is "under" is a table, standing upright with 1" of clearance above his head. 

Cough *Shirokov* Cough

Personally, I think Subban has the potential to be a clip below a Krug type defensemen (not a new comparison, I know).  One that will put up a decent amount of points when put into the situation to get points, but the coach will have to really beware of the match ups and protect his minutes.  Something that will be a huge pain in the butt come playoff time.

On May 28, 2016 at 3:08 AM, ECKO Canuck said:

It always seems like a lot of bums and wanna be scouts here on CDC and you have not even seen a player play live before.

I have watched J. Subban  play a few times this year plus almost every game for a 2 year stretch with Belleville so I know the player very well what he can do on the ice and every game this year I saw he was best player on the ice. He will be a future NHLer guaranteed .

What he did in junior means nothing.  He played against children.  

What he does against full sized men is what matters.  And what he did was get man handled.   He scored a bunch of goals with very sheltered minutes and PP time.  

Defensively I'd rather have Yannik Weber.  

Its not just about his size, outside of the offensive zone, he sucks. 

On May 27, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Warhippy said:

Awful in his own zone?  Almost 70 games as a smaller rookie D man with a questionable defensive pairing and was a mere-5, nearly .61 ppg with Green style earn your time zone starts.

When you speak of making things up to prove your point, do you factor in facts or factual data?  The games I watched he did not look lost at all, he knows what he's doing out there.

yet, again you are basing this off of size initially and now circling back to game play so...

It's hard not to go back to size when we are talking about someone who is 5'9. 175lbs(Canucks website). 

For real man. That is child size.  Not big enough for a men's league. Period. 

But aside from that,   -5 is nothing to brag about. Especially with that many points. It's awful.  Add to that he was in a strictly offensive role getting more O zone than D zone starts.  

I watch most Utica games.  And I was excited at the idea of having a Subban on the team, so I payed close attention to him.    I won't deny the kid has huge amounts of skill.  But it is purely offensive.  

Whether you saw it or not, the kid is lost in his own end.  He is constantly running around trying to get a stick on the puck because he knows he can't out muscle anyone.  This takes him out of position. 

I am not trying to come down on the kid, but you guys need to look at what is actually there and ignore the name on his back.  

He is a tiny little one trick pony who would need an incredible amount of sheltering to have any kind of impact in the league.  

It can happen, but the chances are slim. 

I like Jordan Subban....seems like a good team mate and a good guy.   But he's soooo tiny looks 12 yrs old out there.... he reminds me of Lee Sweatt.....remember him...no...it'll be the same future for Jordan KHL.....and Jordan is even smaller then L Sweatt. 

But I hope I'm wrong. 

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It's hard not to go back to size when we are talking about someone who is 5'9. 175lbs(Canucks website). 

For real man. That is child size.  Not big enough for a men's league. Period. 

But aside from that,   -5 is nothing to brag about. Especially with that many points. It's awful.  Add to that he was in a strictly offensive role getting more O zone than D zone starts.  

I watch most Utica games.  And I was excited at the idea of having a Subban on the team, so I payed close attention to him.    I won't deny the kid has huge amounts of skill.  But it is purely offensive.  

Whether you saw it or not, the kid is lost in his own end.  He is constantly running around trying to get a stick on the puck because he knows he can't out muscle anyone.  This takes him out of position. 

I am not trying to come down on the kid, but you guys need to look at what is actually there and ignore the name on his back.  

He is a tiny little one trick pony who would need an incredible amount of sheltering to have any kind of impact in the league.  

It can happen, but the chances are slim. 

You don't say how many full games you have actually watched him in. Why is that?

ECKO Canuck at least said he had watched him in quite a few games.

I admit his size (for a defender) seems a bit of a handicap but it depends on how he is coached and adapts. Biega is no giant but he was one of our best Ds last season imo. 

Providing Subban can put on more muscle weight he might yet surprise us. I don't like writing players off at such a young age.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

You don't say how many full games you have actually watched him in. Why is that?

ECKO Canuck at least said he had watched him in quite a few games.

I admit his size (for a defender) seems a bit of a handicap but it depends on how he is coached and adapts. Biega is no giant but he was one of our best Ds last season imo. 

Providing Subban can put on more muscle weight he might yet surprise us. I don't like writing players off at such a young age.

Sorry. I don't mark on the calendar every time I watch a game.  Couldn't give you a number.   But as a Utica fan, there weren't many games I have missed in the last couple years.     This year I followed them closer than I did the Canucks.  They put in a real effort every game.  

Also, Biega is a bulldog.  He is 2inches and 25 lbs more than Subban.  

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Sorry. I don't mark on the calendar every time I watch a game.  Couldn't give you a number.   But as a Utica fan, there weren't many games I have missed in the last couple years.     This year I followed them closer than I did the Canucks.  They put in a real effort every game.  

Also, Biega is a bulldog.  He is 2inches and 25 lbs more than Subban.  

Fair enough.

My point about Biega is he has stopped growing - and he is 28. We shouldn't write off Subban (21) either on size or weight just yet.

When he turned out in the pre season games funnily enough it wasn't his size that let him down for me, it was trying to do too much offensively and making bad decisions in the ozone.

He is a player who makes things happen and if he can cut out the errors then maybe there is still hope.

By the way Tyson Barrie is only 1" bigger and sets up at 190lbs and half of CDC are foaming at the mouth about him on these boards.

36 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Fair enough.

My point about Biega is he has stopped growing - and he is 28. We shouldn't write off Subban (21) either on size or weight just yet.

When he turned out in the pre season games funnily enough it wasn't his size that let him down for me, it was trying to do too much offensively and making bad decisions in the ozone.

He is a player who makes things happen and if he can cut out the errors then maybe there is still hope.

By the way Tyson Barrie is only 1" bigger and sets up at 190lbs and half of CDC are foaming at the mouth about him on these boards.

Tyson Barrie is miles better than Subban.  

Im not writing him off. He is what, 20-21. 

I'm  saying he is years away from making it if he does at all.  I hope he can put it all together. He can be very exciting to watch as long as he isn't being a defensive liability. 

On May 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Alflives said:

Well our impressions of his size differ.  I will admit he was adorably cute.  Or, at least my wife thought so.  What about JB building a GIANT sized D-core?  Does that mean Subban is traded, or does that mean JB wants to have big shut down stay at home guys to allow for the little guy to play?

Have to think with the signing of Stecher that JB is trying to protect the smaller d-men. 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

What he does against full sized men is what matters.  And what he did was get man handled.   He scored a bunch of goals with very sheltered minutes and PP time.  

You seem to have missed this the first time:

Other players have stepped up for the Comets down the stretch since Shinkaruk’s departure, but Subban in particular has caught the eye of the coaching staff.

“We’ve had a lot of guys this year as the season has gone on that are progressing, which is what you want,” Green explained, adding, “He’s progressed and been one of our most improved players.”

Although Subban is an offensive defenseman by trade, he has put in a lot of time and work on getting better defensively. He has tallied 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in his last 22 games but has been more defensively responsible as evidenced by a +2 rating in that span.

“For sure, I think my main focus this year is to try and be better in my own end, and I feel like I’ve done a good job of that this year,” Subban explained earlier this season after a win over Lehigh Valley. “There was an adjustment period the first maybe 10 to 15 games. I have a lot of great older guys helping me out and a great coaching staff so it’s a little easier than it might have been, but it’s been good so far. I just want to continue to focus on getting better and hopefully play in the NHL.”

Subban has tallied 34 points (11 goals, 23 assists) in 58 games this season, but his coach further explained that the goal is to develop Subban into a two-way defender that is reliable in all three zones.

“He’s got an offensive flare, obviously an offensive defenseman,” Green said of his first-year defenseman. “The thing we have harped on him is to play a 200-foot game – to be able to defend in his own zone – because it doesn’t matter how good you are offensively if you can’t defend. He’s put in a lot of hard work and he listens.”

As is the case with most young defensemen, patience and developing takes time. There is no questioning Subban’s offensive abilities, but for his game to translate to the next level he will need to continue to work on tightening up things in his own end.

“I think with young defenseman, it’s time,” Green said. “Time is the biggest asset for him. We’re not rushing him. I’d like to see where he is 2 to 3 years from now. He’s not the biggest guy, it’s probably going to take him a little time but if [he] keeps progressing and working out and getting stronger, I like his chances.”

Also, nobody with 1/2 a brain is expecting him to be NHL ready next fall. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

You seem to have missed this the first time:

Also, nobody with 1/2 a brain is expecting him to be NHL ready next fall. 

Green has said exactly what I was saying. He is an offensive defenseman.   

Yes he is improving.   But he is at least 2-3 years away.     I have never written the kid off.  I'm saying he isn't even close.  Much like green has said. 

3 years, I bet he can compensate for his dwarf stature.   I sure hope so because he is very dynamic.    

People seem to be taking a reasonable and realistic approach on the kid as bashing him.

i like Subban and truly hope he achieves the best with the Canucks.   

Me has HUGE hurtles to overcome to make that happen.   

What is wrong about that?

48 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Yes he is improving.   But he is at least 2-3 years away.     I have never written the kid off.  I'm saying he isn't even close.  Much like green has said. 

3 years, I bet he can compensate for his dwarf stature.   I sure hope so because he is very dynamic.    

People seem to be taking a reasonable and realistic approach on the kid as bashing him.

The fact he has the wrong last name...

I totally agree with @drummerboy The only difference is I wrote him off in the amount of time it took me to look up his height and weight immediately after he was drafted. 

I don't understand why they are wasting their time with this kid as a defensemen. If he is this horrific in his own end why not just play the wing? 

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

you obviously never watched him play this year. Time for you to go to bed now kid. 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

The person I quoted noting his improvement was Green. 

I'm well aware he's going to take a few years, your the one insinuating he's made no progress and is utterly clueless in his own end which is clearly not the case. 

10 hours ago, ECKO Canuck said:

you obviously never watched him play this year. Time for you to go to bed now kid. 

First, I'm probably older than you.  Your attempt to belittle me in a normal conversation shows you as a bit of a immature child. 

Second, read the quotes from Coach Green.   He says just what I've been saying.

Im sorry if you can't handle someone with an honest opinion about your little friend. 

Not everyone is going to tug off every player.    Not every draft pick makes the NHL.    

You will learn this all with age. Kid 

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

The person I quoted noting his improvement was Green. 

I'm well aware he's going to take a few years, your the one insinuating he's made no progress and is utterly clueless in his own end which is clearly not the case. 

Read the 3rd line down in my post. 

YES HE IS IMPROVING is what it said.  

I never once said he wasn't improving.  

Who the hell would say 'this 21 year old kid isnt going to get any better'

why are you people so damn sensitive about every prospect on the team?

Guess what..... Some of our picks aren't going to make it!  Some of them suck!

any little criticism and you get all bent out of shape and start replying to posts you aren't even reading.   

15 hours ago, guntrix said:

What surprises me is how people are writing this guy off already just based on his size. These are the same people who wanted us to draft Ritchie a couple years ago.

Or want to trade a ransom for Tyson barrie

Archived