The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking Back at the 2011 NHL Draft

sharbinder

I was looking back at the 2011 draft after reading a few comments on the Jensen thread. One stating that he was on our radar prior to the draft as he was thought to go higher. Also that there were many players who we should have taken over him , which is easily agreed upon. (Jenner / Saad)

However while looking at the draft rankings & where players were actually taken. Something caught my eye that amused me & I thought I'd share. Of course its easy to look back & say should have could have. But its fun regardless.

• I noticed how Philly took Couturier , which was a great selection. As he is a perfect shut down center , already playing well in the league at the age of 22. However one spot after him a young man name "Dougie Hamilton" was taken. I found this funny because it seems like Dougie is well on his way to become everything & more of what Philly has been searching for over the past how many years with selections of (Haag, Morin, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Provorov)

I was looking back at the 2011 draft after reading a few comments on the Jensen thread. One stating that he was on our radar prior to the draft as he was thought to go higher. Also that there were many players who we should have taken over him , which is easily agreed upon. (Jenner / Saad)

However while looking at the draft rankings & where players were actually taken. Something caught my eye that amused me & I thought I'd share. Of course its easy to look back & say should have could have. But its fun regardless.

• I noticed how Philly took Couturier , which was a great selection. As he is a perfect shut down center , already playing well in the league at the age of 22. However one spot after him a young man name "Dougie Hamilton" was taken. I found this funny because it seems like Dougie is well on his way to become everything & more of what Philly has been searching for over the past how many years with selections of (Haag, Morin, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Provorov)

Couturier was actually ranked 1st overall from the start of the year to mid-term rankings.

I absolutely despise these threads because there's something called H-I-N-D-S-I-G-H-T.

Kind of depressing isnt it :(

And then two years later taking virtanen over ehlers or ritchie. People will ser how dumb that is in a couple years and thank me for pointing it out

settle down everyone , I was just putting it out there as canucks prospects were being talked about in the canuck threads.

so I came to the GENERAL FORUM to talk about a Philly pick.

Thank you to De Niro for being the only one to have a relevant reply for the discussion.

I didn't even think of that as well.

Everyone also missed out on drafting Saad and Palat. It is what it is.

I wanted the Canucks to take Saad so badly. I saw him on the draft rankings and was really hoping they'd take him, but to no avail, he was passed up, and now the Canucks have Jensen.

Hindsight's always 20/20. It's easy to go back and look at what we could've had. 2009 for example. Easily by far the worst draft Gillis ever had. Schroeder looked like one hell of a steal at the time though, and it looked like a fantastic draft. Everyone was shocked that Schroeder went so low. Of course Schroeder busted out, but nobody thought he would. Same for Jensen. At the time, great selection, everyone was excited to have him. Just never found his offense in the big leagues. Sometimes things just go sideways.

I liked Boone Jenner but Jensen as a younger man was thought to be the best player to ever come out of Denmark.

TOMaplelaughs is bang on in saying the early concussion is likely to root cause to his downfall. I wouldn't call him a bust because these things can happen to any young player but he has lost the competitive edge and confidence that he once had.

Prior to this Jensen looked really good in junior and had an excellent WJHC after his draft year despite playing on a poor team. I remember watching him play against the US team in that tournament, it seemed like he must have played 50 minutes that game and he was trying to individually intimidate all of the opposition players and almost seemed successful in doing so.

I liked Boone Jenner but Jensen as a younger man was thought to be the best player to ever come out of Denmark.

TOMaplelaughs is bang on in saying the early concussion is likely to root cause to his downfall. I wouldn't call him a bust because these things can happen to any young player but he has lost the competitive edge and confidence that he once had.

Prior to this Jensen looked really good in junior and had an excellent WJHC after his draft year despite playing on a poor team. I remember watching him play against the US team in that tournament, it seemed like he must have played 50 minutes that game and he was trying to individually intimidate all of the opposition players and almost seemed successful in doing so.

Good point. I recall that WJHC as well. Jensen looked like a beast and looked like he would one day be a superstar in the NHL.

Archived