The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Havlat could join Senators on a PTO.

The Ottawa Senators are finished signing players for the summer, but they might take a look during training camp at Martin Havlat, the club’s first-round draft pick in 1999.

Senators assistant general manager Pierre Dorion said Wednesday that general manager Bryan Murray and Allan Walsh, Havlat’s agent, have exchanged phone calls about the possibility of a no-strings-attached tryout in September.

Originally drafted by the Senators in the first round of the 1999 entry draft (26th overall), the right winger’s best season in Ottawa came in 2003-04, when he had 31 goals and 37 assists in 68 games and picked up the nickname Mach 9 for his speed.

In July 2006, in one of the worst trades of John Muckler’s tenure as GM, Havlat was dealt to the Chicago Blackhawks, along with Bryan Smolinski, for Tom Preissing, Josh Hennessy, Mikael Barinka and a 2008 second-round draft choice. The Senators used that pick to select Patrick Wiercioch, who has since made the team.

- Ottawa Citizen

The 34-year-old Havlat, who was drafted by the Senators No. 26 overall in 1999, was one of the club's top forwards before he was given away by former GM John Muckler to the Chicago Blackhawks along forward Brian Smolinski in August 2006 in one of the worst trades in club history.

Murray has always been a fan of Havlat and may be willing to leave the door open for him if he wants to come to camp with no contract. Dorion confirmed that Murray has spoken with Havlat's Los Angeles-based agent Allan Walsh.

"When Bryan coached he was one of Bryan's favourite players," Dorion said. "If I remember correctly, Bryan used (Havlat) on the p.k. and if I remember correctly that had never happened and he was a good penalty killer.

"Obviously Marty is not the same player he was five years ago but it's something I know Bryan and Allan have discussed."

- Ottawa Sun

Good luck to him. Liked him as a player back then but I don't think they need him now.

In fact, in terms of wingers the Sens are pretty loaded. On their 1st line MacArthur and Turris have chemistry and Stone just broke out last season. On their 2nd, veterans Bobby Ryan and Milan Michalek are still scoring and playing well with Zibby. On their 3rd Hoffman had a strong year last season and doubt Lazar will come out of their roster given his upside, and if he moves to the middle they could bring Chiasson or Neil back up to the 3rd, or just bump Pageau over to the wing.

Peumpel is a solid scoring winger prospect as well, so I don't know how he'd fit anywhere on the team unless they plan to shelter Martin and use him on the 4th (which doesn't fit his role) or he has a resurrection in scoring (unlikely at his age) I doubt he'd fit anywhere on the team. Even on the blue-line on the PP, they already have Karlsson and Ceci running the show so they've likely got enough creativity and skill to not need him.

Maybe he'll end up in Arizona or another offensively-lacking team (Toronto?).

Puempel is ready, no room for Havlat.

Hoffman-Turris-Ma. Stone

M. Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan

MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar

Puempel-Z. Smith-Chiasson

Greening, Neil

Havlat could be depth, they have been trying to get rid of Greening for so long now, his contract is terrible. Michalek hasn't gotten back to his 30 goal self with all his injuries. Puempel isn't fully proven. Maybe they could place Greening on waivers, trade or also waive Michalek, and then if Havlat comes in strong and healthy and impresses at camp, maybe...

Hoffman-Turris-Ma. Stone

Havlat-Zibanejad-Ryan

MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar

Puempel-Z. Smith-Chiasson

Neil

Havlat isn't an upgrade on anybody they already have though.

The turnover this off-season is pretty crazy.

There are a ton of quality 30-35 year olds who can't get a job. You could ice a decent team with the UFA's available.

Yep very strange from years past. Think it has a lot to do with teams wanting to develop players internally more and also, cap space. Prospects on ELC is a better buy than taking a chance on older guys at a higher rate.

The turnover this off-season is pretty crazy.

There are a ton of quality 30-35 year olds who can't get a job. You could ice a decent team with the UFA's available.

I think it's because the cap didn't rise as high as everyone thought it would. Even still though, it's amazing how many decent players are without contracts. Franson, Ehrhoff, Glencross, etc. It's been a weird off season.

I remember the Canucks try out days. Peter Schaefer, Owen Nolan, BMO.

What I learned from those is that don't do it. :)

Although the Schaefer signing was pretty silly, that was also the year the Canucks went to the finals and had a great season..partly because they got strong momentum right outta the gates. A ton of players had great years AND the bottom-6 was gritty and energetic. I think that had a lot to do with a highly competive pre-season, BMO had like 7 points in 7 games or something, for example.

A ton of players were battling for spots: Tambo, Glass, Morrison, Schaefer, Shirokov, Oreskovich, Bliznak, Rypien (RIP), Andersson, Perrault, Desbiens, Bolduc, Volpatti, Billy Sweatt, Cody Hodgson.

I remember the Canucks try out days. Peter Schaefer, Owen Nolan, BMO.

What I learned from those is that don't do it. :)

I was surprised that Nolan didn't get a shot TBH. I think he could've been a third line mentor. Schaefer was a disaster though...

Archived