The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 and the problem with 17

vanforever

Come on its easy to look at a player today and say we should taken Milan over Grabner...

At the time Grabner was a good pick speed, skill ext...Milan did not put up big number and at the time maybe we should of picked him in 3rd or 4th round....Have to go back and look at stats around there draft years, not down some GM for making the wrong pick today...

Lucic scored less than 20 points in Junior in his draft year, and was rated 94th by Central Scouting. Without the benefit of hindsight, nobody thought he'd be anything more than a bottom-6 tough/energy guy. Even picking him at 50th overall was a stretch by the Bruins.

Anybody who suggests using the 14th overall pick on him was a reasonable move at the time is just talking out of their a$$.

If you are going to pay for a B.C. homeboy i would take Ryan Johansen over Lucic any day of the week. 1st line franchise center about the time Hank Sedin retires.

Why not get both? Could we have the Cap room with all the young guys we have coming up? I really like Johansen too.

I'm on board with what Benning is doing. A lot of people seem confused. Benning said he wanted to get younger, yet stay competitive, while building a championship team.

He's offloaded some of the old core, and brought in some toughness and character - while emphasizing 2-way play.. and also given rookies a chance to flourish (BoVat) in an environment he's created where they can do so. So while I understand people are a bit flustered, just look what he's saying and then look at what he's doing. They match.

Trading Kassian for old man Prust and giving away picks isn't getting younger. Also how is Vancouver any closer to being a championship team than it was a year ago at this time? The team isn't tougher, younger, bigger or more skilled. There's nobody in the system to replace the Sedins and no #1D prospects. The only thing that Benning has stuck to is staying competitive (for a playoffs spot).

Trading Kassian for old man Prust and giving away picks isn't getting younger. Also how is Vancouver any closer to being a championship team than it was a year ago at this time? The team isn't tougher, younger, bigger or more skilled. There's nobody in the system to replace the Sedins and no #1D prospects. The only thing that Benning has stuck to is staying competitive (for a playoffs spot).

How is keeping that enigma wrapped in a riddle Kassian getting mentally tough? Prust at least, knows who he is. Kassian? Not so much.

Benning is building a solid structure for young players to develop in. And to develop the right way.

Vey, Kenins, Baertschi, Horvat, Virtanen, Sbisa, Corrado, Bartkowski, Masrkstrom....these guys all have growth to make this coming season. How many young guys do you want? My list is long, 9 players out of 23....even if you leave a couple off my list, it's still 1/3 of the team.

Your points are respected, and I'm glad you note that Benning is building his team, while being competitive. Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, and more are certainly top six players. I do agree we need an elite defence prospect.

Vey, Kenins, Baertschi, Horvat, Virtanen, Sbisa, Corrado, Bartkowski, Masrkstrom....these guys all have growth to make this coming season. How many young guys do you want? My list is long, 9 players out of 23....even if you leave a couple off my list, it's still 1/3 of the team.

What a joke. The only guy that has shown any promise from that list is Horvat. Those are the guys you name when you say we're building a championship team? Other than Horvat, Sbisa and Bart none of those guys have shown they belong in the NHL. So how many guys do I want? 2. A top line C and a #1 D. Until we have those (for the future) the team is just spinning it's wheels.

Your points are respected, and I'm glad you note that Benning is building his team, while being competitive. Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, and more are certainly top six players. I do agree we need an elite defence prospect.

Thanks for that baseless prediction. McCann, Virtanen and Boeser certainly top 6 players? Maybe, hopefully. But it's no more certain than other things people were prediction a few years ago. Jensen being a power forward for us, Kassian being the next Lucic, Hodgson being a good 2nd line center and so on.

The argument also was that Benning is getting younger while building a championship team. I haven't seen anything that points to this. I did say the team is staying competitive, though to do that the only thing Benning had to do is not trade the Sedins.

Yup, that'd be great, but i wont hold my toke.

Lucic is a Hanson Bro's dream player, hits, fights, occasionally scores, skates like s#!t, a real beauty, and handsome too eh!

Wouldn't it be great if all BC boys were like "I'm just gonna let my contract expire and hope the home team takes me as a UFA, I'll even sign for cheap."

Yes to Milan, no to Benning money for Milan.

Let's get all the local boys, CDC...

Jamie Benn - Ryan Johansen - Milan Lucic

Evander Kane - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Curtis Lazar

Mike Santorelli - Andrew Ladd - Jake Virtanen

Sam Reinhart - Kyle Turris - Troy Brouwer

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook

Karl Alzner - Tyson Barrie

Morgan Rielly

Carey Price

Andrew Hammond

Martin Jones

Honorable mentions: Jason Garrison - Cody Franson

I mean, does THAT look like a team that can win a cup? Why would you want this CDC?

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Morgan Rielly

Carey Price

Andrew Hammond

Martin Jones

I mean, does THAT look like a team that can win a cup? Why would you want this CDC?

I believe Duncan Keith is from Winnipeg, js.

I think Milan would look great on this team. At a certain point, one has to accept the direction Benning is taking this team, and buy into the plan. Lucic brings grit, character, size, winning pedigree, and probably more I don't care to list. Being from Vancouver is the cherry on top-- he's the perfect fit for Benning/this team.. Especially with young Virtanen coming in. Lucic isn't exactly old either. :/

All that being said, I hope he signs at 6-6.5 x 6. Benning will probably pay in the 7 million range (smh) but I'm still going to hope.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how/if the Kopitar situation affects this. I personally think they'll get a deal done (and if they do, bye bye Milan), but a lot of sources watching it all unfold say it may not be a guarentee. It may be unlikely, but if the Kings trade Kopitar, they pretty much have to keep Lucic.

Like I said though, I'll be dumfounded x 17 if Kopitar isn't signed. Just relaying what I've heard.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Morgan Rielly

Carey Price

Andrew Hammond

Martin Jones

That looks like an unstoppable team that would turn other teams into a fine paste.

Archived