The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 and the problem with 17

vanforever

Despite all that has happened, since the 2011 final. I think deep down, Lucic still wants to play for the team who he grew up watching as a kid. It's always been his and his father's dream to see him suit up for the Canucks and now with the passing of his father this summer. I wouldn't be surprise if he took a lesser salary to sign with the Canucks, next off-season.

I think it's time for people to forgive and forget.

This team needs Lucic, and Lucic needs the team.

2011 was 4 years ago. Is the Lucic of that playoff the same player today? The attraction of a big winger in the top 6 is obvious. IMO the issue is one of character, cost and ability. Lucic struggled last year and at ti9mes was sat down. This is by the coach who had him in 2011. What better judge of a player and where is game/mind is.

WE will see how Lucic performs in LA this season. The West is not the East, the game is different. If Lucic struggled with speed in the East then the West will be a serious challenge. My biggest concern with him is that of character. If he signed with Van he will be a integral part of the new Canucks as the transition from the Sedins accelerates. Lucic's attitude will have influence over the young

talent coming up. The other issue is cost and duration. He will want a big buck and term. To me it is probably a gamble not worth

taking unless the cost is low.

2011 was 4 years ago. Is the Lucic of that playoff the same player today? The attraction of a big winger in the top 6 is obvious. IMO the issue is one of character, cost and ability. Lucic struggled last year and at ti9mes was sat down. This is by the coach who had him in 2011. What better judge of a player and where is game/mind is.

WE will see how Lucic performs in LA this season. The West is not the East, the game is different. If Lucic struggled with speed in the East then the West will be a serious challenge. My biggest concern with him is that of character. If he signed with Van he will be a integral part of the new Canucks as the transition from the Sedins accelerates. Lucic's attitude will have influence over the young

talent coming up. The other issue is cost and duration. He will want a big buck and term. To me it is probably a gamble not worth

Do you think we will have the cap space (due to several ELCs) to over pay for Lucic, regardless of other issues you have with him? What if the term is short, with a 7 million dollar Cap hit?

No crap Benning wants Lucic I want him here too, he is a heck of a player. I hope we sign him just not a dime over 6 million B)

In what way is he "a heck of a player"

He's a heck of a douche, I'll give you that. He's a heck of a fighter, I'll even give you that. He's even a heck of a cheap shot thug, that's a given.

However, "heck of a player" he is not.

We shouldn't be wasting our time on a guy who is only likely to incur more wrath from the refs. We are not an original 6 and refs love to make that point to us.

We should be looking for a younger and bigger version of Vbrata imo not someone who will be a bad influence on our up and coming rookies.

Do you think we will have the cap space (due to several ELCs) to over pay for Lucic, regardless of other issues you have with him? What if the term is short, with a 7 million dollar Cap hit?

$7 mil for a 2011 Lucic one 1 year term is probably worth it. I doubt that is the situation. Not so much the money issue for a big top 6 winger but character and term.

In reality, Lucic rarely gets penalized in the playoffs. In his last 41 playoff games (since 2011-12), he has a total of 26 PIMs - or 0.63/game.

In the same timeframe:

Alex Burrows, 12 GP, 24 PIMs - 2.00/game

Daniel Sedin: 12 GP, 14 PIMs - 1.17

Jannick Hansen: 15 GP, 16 PIMs - 1.07

Alex Edler: 15 GP, 14 PIMs - 0.93

Henrik Sedin: 15 GP, 10 PIMs - 0.67

(Note - I didn't count Burrows' 10 minutes for the misconduct in his last game.)

Are you seriously ignoring the fact he plays for Boston? Seriously?

The team that can charge a guy into the boards, breaking his back and get off with a mild reprimand.

If he plays for us like he played for Boston, he will be never out of the sin bin and we will have to get used to playing short handed.

Milan just turned 27 this summer so he would still fit into the youth model Benning has going here. He's going to have a big (pun intended) year in LA, which could set things up nicely for us next year providing what he said about his interest in signing here were true.. and of course, $$$$$.

I'm on board with what Benning is doing. A lot of people seem confused. I think the reason why is that for so long we have had a management team that made changes at a snails pace... now we have people in charge who are willing to take the bull by the horns. Benning said he wanted to get younger, yet stay competitive, while building a championship team.

He's offloaded some of the old core, and brought in some toughness and character - while emphasizing 2-way play.. and also given rookies a chance to flourish (BoVat) in an environment he's created where they can do so.
He's on the books as saying Virtanen can make the team if he has a good camp.

So while I understand people are a bit flustered, just look what he's saying and then look at what he's doing. They match.
And when you do what you say, you earn trust.
Will we make the playoffs?

Yes I think we will. It's going to be a fun year, especially if there is another surprise rookie addition to the lineup such as Virtanen or even a guy like Cassels.

$7 mil for a 2011 Lucic one 1 year term is probably worth it. I doubt that is the situation. Not so much the money issue for a big top 6 winger but character and term.

I accept that. I guess my Objectivity gets confused, when it comes to our local guys, and our current players. Plus, I really don't want to see the Twins so disrespected by other players around the league ant more. Do you think there is anyone else we could get to play with the Twins, who is tough too? I really was hoping Kassian was that guy:(

Milan just turned 27 this summer so he would still fit into the youth model Benning has going here. He's going to have a big (pun intended) year in LA, which could set things up nicely for us next year providing what he said about his interest in signing here were true.. and of course, $$$$$.

I'm on board with what Benning is doing. A lot of people seem confused. I think the reason why is that for so long we have had a management team that made changes at a snails pace... now we have people in charge who are willing to take the bull by the horns. Benning said he wanted to get younger, yet stay competitive, while building a championship team.

He's offloaded some of the old core, and brought in some toughness and character - while emphasizing 2-way play.. and also given rookies a chance to flourish (BoVat) in an environment he's created where they can do so.

He's on the books as saying Virtanen can make the team if he has a good camp.

So while I understand people are a bit flustered, just look what he's saying and then look at what he's doing. They match.

And when you do what you say, you earn trust.

Will we make the playoffs?

Yes I think we will. It's going to be a fun year, especially if there is another surprise rookie addition to the lineup such as Virtanen or even a guy like Cassels.

I like your positive thinking. There are others, who think Milan is not the player he once was. Plus they add his off ice troubles, and on ices bad choices. I want someone out there, who can play with the twins and protect them too. This bashing the Twins on and off the ice needs to be stopped. Is Milan still the guy to do that? Plus, I agree with Cassels. Once he comes up, he will never go back.

I accept that. I guess my Objectivity gets confused, when it comes to our local guys, and our current players. Plus, I really don't want to see the Twins so disrespected by other players around the league ant more. Do you think there is anyone else we could get to play with the Twins, who is tough too? I really was hoping Kassian was that guy:(

Benning is definitely changing the Canuck culture. IMHO it is more important that the Canucks establish a serious 2nd line threat. That will take pressure off the Twins. Burrows has proven year after year that he can drive that line and be as good a line mate as anyone. For the time he has left I would leave him there unless he proves otherwise. With Horvat and Sutter's FO ability there should be an improvement on puck possession time which should put the Twins in more o-zone TOI. It should also take some

pressure off the d-core. It should really help Hamhuis.

As far as the Twins being singled out I do not see that as much. I saw the Twins far more willing to engage in physical play last year. In the Calgary series the entire Canuck team was disrespected. The issue was the limited ability by that roster to counter.

As I said Benning is changing that.

I just want the Sedins to be protected for their remaining 5 years in the league. Is that too much to ask for? Looch would fit that bill and can score 20 goals while he is at it. I am tired of watching pansies do nothing but quiver whenever the Sedins get run or facewashed. Enough is enough and it is time for a change :canucks:

In what way is he "a heck of a player"

He's a heck of a douche, I'll give you that. He's a heck of a fighter, I'll even give you that. He's even a heck of a cheap shot thug, that's a given.

However, "heck of a player" he is not.

We shouldn't be wasting our time on a guy who is only likely to incur more wrath from the refs. We are not an original 6 and refs love to make that point to us.

We should be looking for a younger and bigger version of Vbrata imo not someone who will be a bad influence on our up and coming rookies.

How will Lucic be a bad influence on the kids?

Will his Cup ring be a distraction?

His willingness to defend his teammates?

In reality, Lucic rarely gets penalized in the playoffs. In his last 41 playoff games (since 2011-12), he has a total of 26 PIMs - or 0.63/game.

In the same timeframe:

Alex Burrows, 12 GP, 24 PIMs - 2.00/game

Daniel Sedin: 12 GP, 14 PIMs - 1.17

Jannick Hansen: 15 GP, 16 PIMs - 1.07

Alex Edler: 15 GP, 14 PIMs - 0.93

Henrik Sedin: 15 GP, 10 PIMs - 0.67

(Note - I didn't count Burrows' 10 minutes for the misconduct in his last game.)

Actually some eye opening stats here. Seems like he puts the mits away in the post season. Still doesnt change my mind on him coming here though. It makes me shudder.

I'm pretty sure Benning knows more of his character than anyone on a hockey forum or else he wouldn't have been trying to trade for him at the draft.

From what I've heard, Lucic is actually a pretty stand-up guy, he does a lot of charity work around Boston and raises money for underprivileged families with his annual softball game.

He could at times, be a bit of a sore-loser or douche, when he's being provoked on the ice, but that not necessarily a bad thing. That just means he's passionate for the game and wants to win.

One things for sure, he'll certainly bring back some excitement at Rogers Arena.

I'm pretty sure Benning knows more of his character than anyone on a hockey forum or else he wouldn't have been trying to trade for him at the draft.

From what I've heard, Lucic is actually a pretty stand-up guy, he does a lot of charity work around Boston and raises money for underprivileged families with his annual softball game.

He could at times, be a bit of a sore-loser or douche, when he's being provoked on the ice, but that not necessarily a bad thing. That just means he's passionate for the game and wants to win.

One things for sure, he'll certainly bring back some excitement at Rogers Arena.

My negative vibe on Lucic comes from his on ice behavior and his past problems in Vancouver nightclubbing. More than that is the fact that Boston moved him after a season and a half of what could be viewed as a drop in performance and willingness to play at a high level. The fact that they traded a player who epitomizes the 'Bruins' persona suggests that not all is well. As many have stated

Lucic just turned 27. This is usually the peak for many players. Some players cannot maintain the emotional commitment after they have achieved their NHL goal and enjoyed the money that it brings. Is that a issue with Lucic? The big advantage Benning will have if he is seriously considering Lucic will be a year in LA to see if a change of team makes a difference. By the time he is a UFA he will be 28.

My negative vibe on Lucic comes from his on ice behavior and his past problems in Vancouver nightclubbing. More than that is the fact that Boston moved him after a season and a half of what could be viewed as a drop in performance and willingness to play at a high level. The fact that they traded a player who epitomizes the 'Bruins' persona suggests that not all is well. As many have stated

Lucic just turned 27. This is usually the peak for many players. Some players cannot maintain the emotional commitment after they have achieved their NHL goal and enjoyed the money that it brings. Is that a issue with Lucic? The big advantage Benning will have if he is seriously considering Lucic will be a year in LA to see if a change of team makes a difference. By the time he is a UFA he will be 28.

Boston moved him because of their limited cap space. They knew they wouldn't be able to re-sign him after his current contract runs out. So, why not get some assets in return, rather than letting him walk for nothing? It's the same reason why they traded Hamilton.

People need to cut him some slack, for his performance this year. The whole entire Bruins team, had an off-year. Yet, he still was 3rd in points, and 4th in goals amongst his teammates, playing with two rookies for a third of the season.

Come on its easy to look at a player today and say we should taken Milan over Grabner...

At the time Grabner was a good pick speed, skill ext...Milan did not put up big number and at the time maybe we should of picked him in 3rd or 4th round....Have to go back and look at stats around there draft years, not down some GM for making the wrong pick today...

Ive been reading these boards for as long as i can remember. yes, i am a new "member".

that out of the way, ive been thinking about the offseason and trying to assess where this team is heading. i am one of the few who actually like whats been happening. apart from the sbisa extension which is pretty high (but may look good in a few years). benning and linden have kept us in the hunt while losing some pieces that we needed to lose and adding grit, character and talent.

maybe ive been in kelowna a little too long, but after the trading of kesler - im starting to think maybe part of bennings "plan" is regarding the number 17. kesler was clearly leaving. vrbata has been great (at his age, he has done more than we could have expected) and this year is his last with us. he wears 17.

this summer everyone had an opinion of another 17. like him or hate him, Lucic is a unique player who many have wanted to "come home". benning was smart enough to not give up a pile of pieces for a guy who he may very well be able to get for nothing after this season with LA. my thought is that with vrbata likely being traded at the deadline (easy first round pick) we will have another 17 taking his place.

as irrelevant as it is, i was taking my kids to see pixels a few weeks back and lucic was there with his wife and daughter to see minions. i grabbed a photo and asked what we are all thinking. his words with a big smile were "guess we will have to see how it plays out in LA first"

looking forward to a great group here this season. cheers!

I remember seeing Shea webber downtown in 2011 and asked him that question too. He basicly had the same answer. I think it's kind of a programmed response.

Archived