The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

15 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

This looks like a great spot to buy in for INO if you're gonna grab some. Looks to have excellent support right at the $13.99 line. Anything that dips below that gets eaten up quickly.

Bought 100 shares to start... 

Took gold allocation to 25.5% and it popped to 26.63% with a bullion resurgence to $1985. Buffet buying Barrick and selling banks, airlines etc tends to confirm the gold trend. The awareness of Covid spending hasn't sunk in with most people yet. 

15 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Stupid Russia and their fake vodka vaccine news

NOVN managed to hold on, bought a small position at 0.54 and gonna do some more DD today before buying more. Swung this same ticker before as well for solid gains. 

From July 21:

Aspire Capital is committed to purchase up to an aggregate of $30.0 million of shares of the Company’s common stock at the Company’s request from time to time during the 30-month term of the Purchase Agreement. Upon execution of the Purchase Agreement, the Company agreed to sell to Aspire Capital 5,555,555 shares of common stock at $0.90 per share for proceeds of $5.0 million.

So they have 25 million worth left to purchase. 

Sabby left (institution that shorts stocks) a couple days ago, that's great news. Short interest in the stock is way down. 

Edited by Duodenum

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

NOVN managed to hold on, bought a small position at 0.54 and gonna do some more DD today before buying more. Swung this same ticker before as well for solid gains. 

From July 21:

Aspire Capital is committed to purchase up to an aggregate of $30.0 million of shares of the Company’s common stock at the Company’s request from time to time during the 30-month term of the Purchase Agreement. Upon execution of the Purchase Agreement, the Company agreed to sell to Aspire Capital 5,555,555 shares of common stock at $0.90 per share for proceeds of $5.0 million.

So they have 25 million worth left to purchase. 

Sabby left (institution that shorts stocks) a couple days ago, that's great news. Short interest in the stock is way down. 

I took a position in CYCN today at 5.26 

https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1096/fba.2020-00042

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Walmart crushes earnings, I want to know why people were selling this morning.

Thanks for the cheap shares dummies!

I miss my managed portfolio because he made some awesome moves like Walmart, IQ, and CVNA for dirt cheap especially compared to now; then he also blew it (in my opinion) on others where we lost big all in an attempt to beat the market where I was hoping for a more conservative approach when things were in the red instead of a fire sale. 

Anyway, I put a ton of cash into my portfolio last week but still have cash on hand so that's my contribution if the market implodes. The advisor I spoke to said it's fine. I asked about converting all to cash weeks prior to the election and holding all cash for a couple months and if nothing happens, nothing happens, I miss some gains, big deal. He said you can but doesn't recommend it. He said "trying to time the market" you are more likely to lose than win which I already knew. What do you know that the market doesn't already know? The election isn't likely to sway the market much either way but something unforeseen such as the virus back in March. Of course my concern being the latter when and if Dotard loses and refuses to leave because he's already talking about a third term. It's difficult to build your portfolio and lock in gains if you are dealing with these massive downturns every 6, 8, 12 months. The end of 2018 sucked. 2019 went well, but then March eroded all of that. Right now I'm doing well and ahead of where I was beginning of the year. But now ~8 months later it could potentially all implode again. 

30 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I miss my managed portfolio because he made some awesome moves like Walmart, IQ, and CVNA for dirt cheap especially compared to now; then he also blew it (in my opinion) on others where we lost big all in an attempt to beat the market where I was hoping for a more conservative approach when things were in the red instead of a fire sale. 

My approach is steady Eddy, usually I don’t lose my ass but also I don’t have days when I am up like crazy.

Still beating the market so I am good with my stocks.

21 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Anyway, I put a ton of cash into my portfolio last week but still have cash on hand so that's my contribution if the market implodes. The advisor I spoke to said it's fine. I asked about converting all to cash weeks prior to the election and holding all cash for a couple months and if nothing happens, nothing happens, I miss some gains, big deal. He said you can but doesn't recommend it. He said "trying to time the market" you are more likely to lose than win which I already knew. What do you know that the market doesn't already know? The election isn't likely to sway the market much either way but something unforeseen such as the virus back in March. Of course my concern being the latter when and if Dotard loses and refuses to leave because he's already talking about a third term. It's difficult to build your portfolio and lock in gains if you are dealing with these massive downturns every 6, 8, 12 months. The end of 2018 sucked. 2019 went well, but then March eroded all of that. Right now I'm doing well and ahead of where I was beginning of the year. But now ~8 months later it could potentially all implode again. 

The X factor here is if Dems win both the Presidency and the Senate. Then they'll be able to disregard Republicans and implement whatever they wish. I don't think that's priced in at this point.

These downturns are easier to deal with if you're collecting dividends along the way. Dollar cost averaging is always a good way to go about things.

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The X factor here is if Dems win both the Presidency and the Senate. Then they'll be able to disregard Republicans and implement whatever they wish. I don't think that's priced in at this point.

These downturns are easier to deal with if you're collecting dividends along the way. Dollar cost averaging is always a good way to go about things.

Lots of dividend reinvesting. Never as many dividends as you'd like, however ;)

I think that was his sentiment too. But if a balanced portfolio can generate 25k between April and August, then why not sell, lock in gains and if the market reacts negatively to the election - buy everything dirt cheap with your entire portfolio in something more aggressive. If this doesn't happen, you miss out on a few months. Big deal. That was my thought process. The advisor advised against this, however, citing 1) you don't know anything the market doesn't already know and 2)beginning of 2021 could go poorly anyway, for example, because of reason 1. Timing the market unless you are professional you will likely lose and even the professionals lose often. Which again I already knew. This was more of a protective measure than anything else with the upside of making money.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Lots of dividend reinvesting. Never as many dividends as you'd like, however ;)

I think that was his sentiment too. But if a balanced portfolio can generate 25k between April and August, then why not sell, lock in gains and if the market reacts negatively to the election - buy everything dirt cheap with your entire portfolio in something more aggressive. If this doesn't happen, you miss out on a few months. Big deal. That was my thought process. The advisor advised against this, however, citing 1) you don't know anything the market doesn't already know and 2)beginning of 2021 could go poorly anyway, for example, because of reason 1. Timing the market unless you are professional you will likely lose and even the professionals lose often.

There's always the use of options to protect a portfolio.

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Maybe wait for this August sell off to end before jumping back in. 

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

There's always the use of options to protect a portfolio.

I've been wanting to learn more about these and implement them into my investment strategy but I haven't because I don't fully understand them. From my understanding a call option allows you to lock in a given stock price that you can trigger even if the price of the stock rises within the time window, whereas a put allows you to buy a stock at a lower price if you think it is overvalued. However I get a little confused on what happens at the expiration date. Some options you are obligated to buy/sell and some you have the option to buy/sell at the strike price.

6 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I doubt the election changes much it's more about the games leading up to it and after it.