The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

@nuckin_futz Are you still tapped into currency? Don't feel obligated to answer, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on currency-hedged ETFs. Would I be better off just risking changes in the loonie and keeping my fees lower, or are the additional fees for currency-hedged ETFs worth it? I'm erring more on the side of risk-averse; this is just money to park as my wife and I try to upsize our living arrangements.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/featured-reports/article-are-canadians-wasting-billions-on-currency-hedged-etfs/

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Not all platforms offers after hour trades with some not even showing movements in the after and pre market. 

It is a problem on principle not technicality. 

Then get with a broker who provides the services you require. I require access at all possible trading hours. Access to futures, options, Forex, foreign markets etc.. So I am with a broker who provides all of that.

Saying others shouldn't have access at this broker because others don't offer it is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Then get with a broker who provides the services you require. I require access at all possible trading hours. Access to futures, options, Forex, foreign markets etc.. So I am with a broker who provides all of that.

Saying others shouldn't have access at this broker because others don't offer it is ridiculous.

If all trades are limited to a set hour with equal access than you would still have access to all your bells and whistles. 

Seems like you significantly benefit from after hour trading.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

@nuckin_futz Are you still tapped into currency? Don't feel obligated to answer, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on currency-hedged ETFs. Would I be better off just risking changes in the loonie and keeping my fees lower, or are the additional fees for currency-hedged ETFs worth it? I'm erring more on the side of risk-averse; this is just money to park as my wife and I try to upsize our living arrangements.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/featured-reports/article-are-canadians-wasting-billions-on-currency-hedged-etfs/

Yes I still monitor currency markets and put on the odd position. The currency fluctuations could equally help or harm you. So there's no advantage there it's just a guessing game.

What would the additional fees be? Just the commission to buy and sell? Because that's generally peanuts. You'd just be eliminating the potential risk/reward.

Alternatively if your broker offers Forex trading you could just hedge the currency risk yourself.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If all trades are limited to a set hour with equal access than you would still have access to all your bells and whistles. 

Seems like you significantly benefit from after hour trading.

All trades are already limited to set hours with equal access. Pre market starts at 1 AM PST and after hours trading ends at 5 PM PST. There is no equity trading outside of those hours.

If you want access at that time then find a broker who offers those hours. Why take away access from people do didn't choose a garbage donkey broker like RobinHood?

Yes I do significantly benefit from pre and post market trading. :)

15 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Trades can only be made between 1AM Pacific and 5PM Pacific Monday to Friday.

Anyone over 18 with a SIN/SSN can sign up for a broker that provides that coverage. For us in Canada, it's Interactive Brokers.

17 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

Robinhood will allow any retard to blow their entire portfolio on options expiring the next day, but suddenly cares about “protecting” people when they’re buying GME shares

They weren't protecting people, they were protecting the brokerage, their investors and by proxy clients who weren't even involved. They are planning to IPO at some point and blowing up the firm would put a damper on that.

They were probably seeing many accounts reaching liquidation territory so many that they couldn't liquidate them fast enough so they restricted to "close only".

If you look at the timing of that brutal dump this morning it was nearly complete at 6 AM PST. RobinHood servers don't come online until 6 AM PST. So their users couldn't have executed during that dump anyway. If their users need access at those times then they should get with a proper broker. RobinHood is a terrible broker.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

They weren't protecting people, they were protecting the brokerage, their investors and by proxy clients who weren't even involved. They are planning to IPO at some point and blowing up the firm would put a damper on that.

They were probably seeing many accounts reaching liquidation territory so many that they couldn't liquidate them fast enough so they restricted to "close only".

My question.  Is if they indeed continued to allow large firms, hedge funds to buy while restricting others is that a form of manipulation??

Reports out that they did but also leaked the halts to larger firms such as citadel do very curious if that would constitute just that

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

That's the easy solution.

I've considered it but my largest losses gave come in pre and post so I avoid it

Well it's an easier solution than take away access from people who require it. You don't make people equal by taking things away.

Very wide spreads in pre and post. It's really not suited for newer investors/traders.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well it's an easier solution than take away access from people who require it. You don't make people equal by taking things away.

Very wide spreads in pre and post. It's really not suited for newer investors/traders.

I look at AMC right now.  $3+ in after hours and I had my trigger to buy at $7.10.  But the same could have gone the other way where I had purchased at over X and then lost my arse on it 

Has happened ot me before.  Will actually be taking a few courses on finance/investing and trying to learn about what i am doing instead of just gambling on tips here and there.  But I know my limits and While I am playing with small margins I am certainly risk averse in regards to losing it

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My question.  Is if they indeed continued to allow large firms, hedge funds to buy while restricting others is that a form of manipulation??

Reports out that they did but also leaked the halts to larger firms such as citadel do very curious if that would constitute just that

The problem is RobinHood couldn't take the heat and restricted access to their clients. It's not manipulation if RobinHood has poor processes in place.

Are you referring to the many trading halts during the regular session? Those have nothing to do with RobinHood or Citadel or anyone else. Those are mandated by the SEC. Those are volatility halts. The SEC mandates that if a stock drops or rises 10% in less than 5 minutes that a 5 minute trading pause is enacted. It's literally the dumbest rule on the books and messes things up way worse. Take a look at the chart, all those dashes are volatility halts. That's courtesy of the idiots at the SEC.

gme.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Trades can only be made between 1AM Pacific and 5PM Pacific Monday to Friday.

Anyone over 18 with a SIN/SSN can sign up for a broker that provides that coverage. For us in Canada, it's Interactive Brokers.

@nuckin_futz

Yes I know it is already set. Badly worded.

Point was why do we even have these artificial pre and after hour trading barriers to begin with? It is not taking things away if it was granted universally. You can say high spread etc but that is caused by the artificial barrier. It made sense back when you have to phone in trades etc., but with every broker literally within reach within seconds on your phone, it is a completely outdated concept.

Also regarding the Robinhood situation. Yes they are right to restrict trade on gme, amc, etc. for those taking position with margins to as you say protect the firm, but they should still allow those trades if done with cash. Think we can agree that they are garbage if they can't even separate the two in their system. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The problem is RobinHood couldn't take the heat and restricted access to their clients. It's not manipulation if RobinHood has poor processes in place.

Are you referring to the many trading halts during the regular session? Those have nothing to do with RobinHood or Citadel or anyone else. Those are mandated by the SEC. Those are volatility halts. The SEC mandates that if a stock drops or rises 10% in less than 5 minutes that a 5 minute trading pause is enacted. It's literally the dumbest rule on the books and messes things up way worse. Take a look at the chart, all those dashes are volatility halts. That's courtesy of the idiots at the SEC.

gme.jpg

No no.  There's apparently reports out that there is/was a concerted effort to allow for larger hedge funds to continue trading for shorts or shorting while others were restricted.  There's also supposedly a whistle blower reporting that Robinhood and Quest leaked info regarding the halt in those listings to specific hedge funds prior to the blocking.

I know the circuit breakers and understand the reasoning behind them, but if those reports are even partially true it's incredibly shady

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

gme.jpg

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No no.  There's apparently reports out that there is/was a concerted effort to allow for larger hedge funds to continue trading for shorts or shorting while others were restricted.  There's also supposedly a whistle blower reporting that Robinhood and Quest leaked info regarding the halt in those listings to specific hedge funds prior to the blocking.

I know the circuit breakers and understand the reasoning behind them, but if those reports are even partially true it's incredibly shady

I think Robinhood may be one of the parties bailing out a hedge fund or something.

Potential conflict of interest happening.  

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

@nuckin_futz

Yes I know it is already set. Badly worded.

Point was why do we even have these artificial pre and after hour trading barriers to begin with? It is not taking things away if it was granted universally. You can say high spread etc but that is caused by the artificial barrier. It made sense back when you have to phone in trades etc., but with every broker literally within reach within seconds on your phone, it is a completely outdated concept.

Also regarding the Robinhood situation. Yes they are right to restrict trade on gme, amc, etc. for those taking position with margins to as you say protect the firm, but they should still allow those trades if done with cash. Think we can agree that they are garbage if they can't even separate the two in their system. 

We have pre and post market trading because that's when most market moving news is released such as economic data, earnings reports, company specific news. It's outside the regular session so investors have time to digest the news and make rational decisions. It's definitely necessary.

Not a bad point, but I bet they do not have those processes in place.