The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

*Watches Nuckin posts intensely so I can learn what he likes and why*

Definitely opposite of me, I probably averaged 3k drop each day this week, it was a bad red week....

I trade in both directions, long and short. I like stuff doing lots of volume. Your typical flavor of the day stuff.

Today's trade list looks like....

Short some Aussie dollar

Long some JNJ

Short some NVAX

Long some BBBY

Short LMFA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The short interest you're looking at it is typically 2-4 weeks behind real time. It gets reported mid month and at month end. Currently the most recent data is from Jan 15th. Given the recent action, it's likely to be quite inaccurate. There are some services which will provide real time short interest. A buddy of mine pays $1,000/month for such information.

If your option expires worthless or out of the money, nothing happens. The money paid for the option evaporates.

If it expires in the money it'll be exercised.

Curious to know how many expired ITM for AMC leading to buying on Monday 

17 hours ago, sassbs said:

What do you guys think of AMC?  The run is over? Or do you think it’ll rocket?

I got out of AMC and put everything into ARKK after it dropped 3%. I think if there is one thing that will increase it will be GME just because if you look at WSB, that's what everyone is still talking about; the memes that are most upvoted all relate to GME. That's the one that has the most passion from people... I am not sure if this is useful anymore given I don't know what the short position on GME looks like...

To me, now is a great time to buy the stocks that are dipping. 

Edited by Down by the River

29 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I got out of AMC and put everything into ARKK after it dropped 3%. I think if there is one thing that will increase it will be GME just because if you look at WSB, that's what everyone is still talking about; the memes that are most upvoted all relate to GME. That's the one that has the most passion from people... I am not sure if this is useful anymore given I don't know what the short position on GME looks like...

To me, now is a great time to buy the stock that are dipping. 

Buy the dip.

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I trade in both directions, long and short. I like stuff doing lots of volume. Your typical flavor of the day stuff.

Short some Aussie dollar

Long some JNJ

Short some NVAX

Long some BBBY

Short LMFA

Can I ask why BBBY?

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Short some Aussie dollar

Long some JNJ

Short some NVAX

Long some BBBY

Short LMFA

NVAX skyrocketed once the company announced that the NVAX COVID 19 vaccine's efficacy based on the Clinical Trials is about 89%. I do think that this stock might go up further more, because countries all over the world face a lack of COVID - 19 vaccine. Some governments might be tempted to order NVAX vaccine,  because of its superior efficacy compared to Astra Zeneca's vaccine. Once these orders are announced in the near future NVAX price will go up, for sure.

I am pretty sure that you did your due diligence before this trade. 

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

14 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Curious to know how many expired ITM for AMC leading to buying on Monday 

Most open interest is at the $7 and $9 strikes. If I was getting shares at 7 or 9 I don't think it would lead me to buy more. I'd be smashing bids to take my dough.

amcoptions.thumb.jpg.b5c305d6855bcd3384f93d580321d2f8.jpg

3 hours ago, GetFocht said:

Can I ask why BBBY?

Bought it shortly after the open after it had fallen about $4. This week especially, it had a pattern of swinging wildly. So a $2-3 upswing wasn't unusual. Unfortunately there was a seller who wouldn't let it up at all. So I dumped it for a loss. Shortly after that it dropped another $2 as a bunch of stops were triggered. Only then did it begin it's climb (without me).

Wasn't interested in fighting with it so took my loss and moved on.

bbby.jpg.ac0c1a175e023f2821f1cb4641ef3af5.jpg

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

NVAX skyrocketed once the company announced that the NVAX COVID 19 vaccine's efficacy based on the Clinical Trials is about 89%. I do think that this stock might go up further more, because countries all over the world face a lack of COVID - 19 vaccine. Some governments might be tempted to order NVAX vaccine,  because of its superior efficacy compared to Astra Zeneca's vaccine. Once these orders are announced in the near future NVAX price will go up, for sure.

I am pretty sure that you did your due diligence before this trade. 

nvax.jpg.b230ed44a3c23a46f988d3221f6ef62b.jpg

Your perspective is one of an investor. My perspective is one of a short term trader. NOII (Net Order Imbalance Indicator) comes out shortly before the opening bell. It showed a rather large sell side imbalance. So I shorted NVAX. It then dumped from $205 to where it opened at $191.

37 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I like RobinHood

Robin' da Hood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

Why not? 

Because it's a 'tax free' account you can't use it as a vehicle to generate daily income (ie. day trading) because that should be subject to income tax. Investing is a different story obviously; it's fair game. Where is that line drawn though? I'm not sure.

Though with that being said I have heard conflicting takes on how effectively it can be enforced.

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

Because it's a 'tax free' account you can't use it as a vehicle to generate daily income (ie. day trading) because that should be subject to income tax. Investing is a different story obviously; it's fair game. Where is that line drawn though? I'm not sure.

Though with that being said I have heard conflicting takes on how effectively it can be enforced.

I've been given different advice. Seems gray at worst. 

Tucker Carlson on point here, watch the whole thing, he is completely right and I agree that social justice too often used as a tool to shut the middle class up. "Oh our Secretary of Finance is a woman" lol, the people who care more about that are as bad as the ones who think they should only be men.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/28/wh-shouldnt-be-a-surprise-yellen-paid-to-speak-to-wall-street/

Can't find a CDC approved "Ah so you're not a conspiracy theorist" news source, but it certainly does raise questions if the Biden administration sweeps this under the rug the same way the Obama one did with occupy wall street, you got to wonder when people will give up the slogan, "at least politician A is better than B". Biden can't do it, if he does, and republicans choose to go after wall street, if only symbolically, Democrats will lose big in the midterms as I said in the politics thread and will likely mean a new republican president 2024.

Edited by canuckster19

On 1/29/2021 at 5:04 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Certainly no shortage of stuff to do this week. Coming back to equity trading after such a long absence has been a bit of an eye opener. I couldn't believe how fast the market was. Though most of that is due to the short busting plays which I traded a lot. I also could not believe how slow I was in the beginning. Thankfully the rust has shaken off and I am up to speed again.

Still waiting on a second account to get opened. Gonna take about another week or so but that will make a big difference. Pleased with how the week went, 13 large today and 44 for the week.

Have a good weekend guys.

So 44 for the week, while you were shaking the rust off?

And remind me why it took you such a long time to go back?