The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Scraped the bottom of some barrels yesterday while the world is focused on GME and AMC, some nice 8%+ bounces on most of them today :)

AMC still hasn't sniffed the price I sold at on Wednesday morning in pre-market, so makes me feel good I was able to "walk away from the table" because god knows at a black jack table I'd keep going back :lol:

12 hours ago, Pears said:

What would be a good amount to put into these rising stocks for someone like me who has next to no idea how stocks work?

When you have no idea how stocks work that you should buy an index fund like the S&P 500. You will be served very well with this index fund. Once you have bought them you can just sit back and relax.

An alternative to the S&P 500 would be a momentum ETF (exchange traded fund). Momentum has turned out to be a successful investing strategy. Just type ETF Momentum in Google search and you will get some helpful results.

The good thing is that you can set up a savings plan to buy an index fund. This means that with a certain amount of money you can affort on a monthly basis you buy monthly an index fund.

That's conservative investing, low risk and decent return.

Another option would be to buy a REIT which is basically a passive dividend income. You will get paid dividends, for example on a quarterly basis. The Brookfield Property REIT is just one example. There are many more out there.

If you seek to invest in stocks I would recommend to learn something about stocks first. I mean the basics like Growth vs. Value, Investment Strategies, Market Timing..... . That requires some time and effort.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Well at least the stock market recovered everywhere else, red day yesterday has been all but wiped out with gains. Caught that CCIV dip, easy 10% and counting.

Robinhood, Citadel and all them should be prosecuted for market manipulation and collusion. Shorting a stock and telling Robinhood to stop all buying of that same stock...yea, that's some dirty $&!#.

“If you’re going to buy a SPAC, make sure your horse and your jockey are proven winners.” I hope  you know your horse and jockey well enough. ::D

13 hours ago, Pears said:

What would be a good amount to put into these rising stocks for someone like me who has next to no idea how stocks work?

1st. Love seeing more of our NFL thread make their way into this thread, let's all make bread

2nd. Paper trade. Open a paper trading account on Questrade. You get a million fake dollars I think, but it's the real market, real prices, etc.

Use the paper trade account to learn how to place orders, learn difference between different types of orders, test out your hunch, get a feel for when things dip and when things rip (there's usually a pattern, each stock has its own personality).

Give yourself a personal target ie. I wanna turn this fake 1 million dollars into 1.5 million dollars, and don't start doing anything with real money until you hit your goal.

• Thanks 1

For the ERES warrants, when do they expire? 

I'm still learning about them :) Basically, we paid about $1.50 to either sell for whatever the warrant is worth between now and the expiry date, and if we don't, we have the option to turn that warrant into a share of the stock at $11.50? At that time, does that happen automatically or what's the process?

4 minutes ago, inane said:

For the ERES warrants, when do they expire? 

I'm still learning about them :) Basically, we paid about $1.50 to either sell for whatever the warrant is worth between now and the expiry date, and if we don't, we have the option to turn that warrant into a share of the stock at $11.50? At that time, does that happen automatically or what's the process?

They'll likely be expiring in 2024/2025 but the company will call for them much sooner, usually a few months post merger.

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

They'll likely be expiring in 2024/2025 but the company will call for them much sooner, usually a few months post merger.

So calling for them means what? Giving the option to buy the share? 

So, let's pretend it merges tomorrow, now it's called MERGE. MERGE has a share price of let's say $20. What do I do with my warrants that I paid $1.50 for? Do they become $20 shares? 

Sorry, still kinda noobie.

9 minutes ago, inane said:

So calling for them means what? Giving the option to buy the share? 

So, let's pretend it merges tomorrow, now it's called MERGE. MERGE has a share price of let's say $20. What do I do with my warrants that I paid $1.50 for? Do they become $20 shares? 

Sorry, still kinda noobie.

A warrant is the right to purchase common shares at $11.50/share

When they're called for, it means you have to either convert them into shares, or sell them at their value on that day.

Other factors play into it like whether it's a cashless conversion or not, etc. 

Edit: Irresponsible of me to not mention that there are also some SPAC's that will do a 2:1 or 3:1 warrant, meaning for every 2 warrants you can buy 1 common share at $11.50. A good example of this is NBAC whose warrants are 2:1. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

29 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

“If you’re going to buy a SPAC, make sure your horse and your jockey are proven winners.” I hope  you know your horse and jockey well enough. ::D

CCIV is a different animal, it's just a rumor and is being moved on psychology.

When it dipped on a red day with the short squeeze hedge fund stuff going on, it was an easy decision to grab the dip and sell most of it the next day. My core position is avg $14/share. It could fail and I'd be in the green.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Criminal investigation seems like a must.

They updated it ............

RobinHood imposes more restrictions on stocks

Fri 29 Jan 2021 19:46:20 GMT

Imposes buy limit for a number of meme stocks

Robin Hood is reducing the amount of stock you can buy on a number of the meme stocks from 5 shares to 2 or 1 share.

1 share limit:
  • AMC, 
  • Game stop
  • Koss
  • Moderna
2 share limit
  • Bed Bath and Beyond
  • Qualtric

Now they can go in front of Congress and tell idiot politicians they still allow people to buy and sell GME AMC etc.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

They updated it ............

RobinHood imposes more restrictions on stocks

Fri 29 Jan 2021 19:46:20 GMT

Imposes buy limit for a number of meme stocks

Robin Hood is reducing the amount of stock you can buy on a number of the meme stocks from 5 shares to 2 or 1 share.

1 share limit:
  • AMC, 
  • Game stop
  • Koss
  • Moderna
2 share limit
  • Bed Bath and Beyond
  • Qualtric

WTF?!? They aren't even hiding it. This has to be criminal.