The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

16 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Do you guys recommending buying Air Canada and West Jet just before the bailout, or immediately after?

They're both gonna get bailouts, just not educated enough to know if it's smarter to buy before or after.

Westjet no longer public unless you invest in company thought bought them I think. You’d have to look it up.

Ive been watch AC, they touched $9 range yesterday, I think they will get a bailout (not sure how it will impact share price), but it looks like most flights will be on hold from Mar 23-Apr 30 for now and I read somewhere they are sitting on some cash reserves. 

27 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

not sure you can buy Westjet anymore.
they are going private

10 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Westjet no longer public unless you invest in company thought bought them I think. You’d have to look it up.

Ive been watch AC, they touched $9 range yesterday, I think they will get a bailout (not sure how it will impact share price), but it looks like most flights will be on hold from Mar 23-Apr 30 for now and I read somewhere they are sitting on some cash reserves. 

Shoot, you guys are right, forgot they sold.

So Air Canada will be my go. 

In past examples of public companies getting bail outs, do you guys know if the smart buy was pre bail out or immediately post?

32 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just a reminder to everyone trying their luck. Tomorrow Friday Mar 20th is Quadruple Witching. Usually that brings about very wild action on the close. Given the recent moves and volatility you can expect that to be magnified.

what does quadruple witching mean?

34 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just a reminder to everyone trying their luck. Tomorrow Friday Mar 20th is Quadruple Witching. Usually that brings about very wild action on the close. Given the recent moves and volatility you can expect that to be magnified.

this week has been crazy... if the trend continues tomorrow is looking to be twice as red as today was green.

What are your takes on quadruple witch day/hour? Did some reading on it but my understanding of it and the implications is limited

@inane https://www.investopedia.com/terms/q/quadruplewitching.asp

"Quadruple witching refers to a date on which stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock futures expire simultaneously. While stock options contracts and index options expire on the third Friday of every month, all four asset classes expire simultaneously on the third Friday of March, June, September, and December."

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In past examples of public companies getting bail outs, do you guys know if the smart buy was pre bail out or immediately post?

Depends what happens on the bailout. If you get in before you could get a simple cash infusion from the government and the stock will rise. On the other hand, the company could declare bankruptcy like GM did in 2008 and all the shares become worthless (and your investment is kapoot). Then the government helps them out with restructuring and financing and they have a new IPO for new shares later on. This isn't the only way a bankruptcy could go either. Each individual case is different.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Duodenum said:

Depends what happens on the bailout. If you get in before you could get a simple cash infusion from the government and the stock will rise. On the other hand, the company could declare bankruptcy like GM did in 2008 and all the shares become worthless (and your investment is kapoot). Then the government helps them out with restructuring and financing and they have a new IPO for new shares later on. This isn't the only way a bankruptcy could go either. Each individual case is different.

Thanks for the info! Not as black and white as I initially thought.

Definitely don't want to risk them filing for bankruptcy and having my shares go to 0. 

2 minutes ago, inane said:

what does quadruple witching mean?

Quadruple Witching is an even that happens 4 times a year. It's the date when stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock options all expire simultaneously. Always on the 3rd Friday of the 3rd month. The volume on this day is particularly heavy. 

It is named "Witching" because of the 'spooky' way they trade into the close. There are very wild price swings like +10% sometimes even bigger.

There is also Triple Witching and Double Witching.

13 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

this week has been crazy... if the trend continues tomorrow is looking to be twice as red as today was green.

What are your takes on quadruple witch day/hour? Did some reading on it but my understanding of it and the implications is limited

I am of the opinion tomorrow could be a big up day into the close. Due to the Quad. If you have stuff to unload on the close put out a Market On Close (MOC) order to take advantage. Good luck everyone.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Thanks for the info! Not as black and white as I initially thought.

Definitely don't want to risk them filing for bankruptcy and having my shares go to 0. 

Yea keep an eye on airline stocks and news for now I would say, don't jump in until there's some assurances. You won't make as much if they go up but averting risk is worth it. In the meantime and if you have the funds, stocks like Apple are looking very nice.

• Cheers 1

Kind of related to the airlines.......

CNBC Kayla Tausche: US lawmakers are wary of Boeing bailout

Thu 19 Mar 2020 18:27:56 GMT

Compare to AIG bailout

Kayla Tausche from CNBC is reporting the US lawmakers are wary of bailing out Boeing comparing them to AIG:

Compare to AIG bailout

The price of Boeing reached a high price of $446 on March 1, 2019.  Was as high as $350 on February 12, 2020. The decline from the high has been over 80%. The decline from the February high has been close to 75%. The recent lows April 2013.

Boeing shares

If anyone is into technical analysis of charts. That is an almost perfect 'head and shoulders' pattern.
Edited by nuckin_futz

9 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Air Canada lays off more than 5100 flight attendants.

21 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t support bailout money for private companies. At worst a loan with shares as a guarantee. 

That's a good starter.

Just as long as they don't do what GM(?) did and just restructured to get rid of all the debts on the books.  

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do people still really believe there's going to be a stock market?

Yes. Do you really think Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Pfizer are going anywhere?

The virus will pass eventually. Central Banks will throw whatever amount of money at this they need to.

The Mad Max stuff is entertaining but unrealistic.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1