The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Don't be sorry.  I'm not.  I hate weddings.  I love bridesmaids.

But they pay well.  The gig economy is going to get broken irreparably.

Recessions make millionaires

I didn't take advantage of the last recession in 08 (got in semi late), not happening this time. My partners benjamin, and borden are ready to pounce!

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im look at them as well, if they go single digits which it looks like its trending, going to buy a "few" heheh

Anything else you've been looking at? I've never invested before and will be throwing very little into stuff (still playing it safe while saving for a downpayment), but now is a good time to pop my stock market cherry. Marijuana stocks are taking a pretty big hit right now (well, everything is). Aurora in particular, but it's tough to say if they'll even have the cash to rebound. If they do, though...

54 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Anything else you've been looking at? I've never invested before and will be throwing very little into stuff (still playing it safe while saving for a downpayment), but now is a good time to pop my stock market cherry. Marijuana stocks are taking a pretty big hit right now (well, everything is). Aurora in particular, but it's tough to say if they'll even have the cash to rebound. If they do, though...

I’m in a similar situation, saving for my down payment but at the same time willing to risk it all. Told my gf my next two years salary is going to be risked in the markets. 

I’ll be more upset with myself if I decided to stand pat and missed an opportunity. If I lose it all, I’m young enough to work and make it back. 

23 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I’m in a similar situation, saving for my down payment but at the same time willing to risk it all. Told my gf my next two years salary is going to be risked in the markets. 

I’ll be more upset with myself if I decided to stand pat and missed an opportunity. If I lose it all, I’m young enough to work and make it back. 

I am by no means a professional. But Canadian Banks have done well and have dropped ~40% in some cases. But really I think this is a great opportunity to get into the blue chip companies (microsoft, apple, google, amazon, disney, banks etc) because they are such good value. Just be prepared to kiss the money good bye for 5 years or so. One would think there are opportunities in the energy sector as well with Russia and SA doing their thing and thus hammering canadian companies.

That is my non-professional take on this situation and how I will approach it.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I am by no means a professional. But Canadian Banks have done well and have dropped ~40% in some cases. But really I think this is a great opportunity to get into the blue chip companies (microsoft, apple, google, amazon, disney, banks etc) because they are such good value. Just be prepared to kiss the money good bye for 5 years or so. One would think there are opportunities in the energy sector as well with Russia and SA doing their thing and thus hammering canadian companies.

That is my non-professional take on this situation and how I will approach it.

I’ve been keeping watch over Canadian Energy companies last few weeks. They’re hitting unprecedented lows due to the Saudis basically as you’ve stated, pipeline issues and covid. Could be a real opportunity I’m thinking if I pick the right race horse or play safe with an energy index.

8 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I’ve been keeping watch over Canadian Energy companies last few weeks. They’re hitting unprecedented lows due to the Saudis basically as you’ve stated, pipeline issues and covid. Could be a real opportunity I’m thinking if I pick the right race horse or play safe with an energy index.

Enbridge and Suncor should be on the top of your list

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I agree with you on ENB and SU. I would focus on blue chip dividend payers. FCF, Margin, and growth. How does the virus affect their outlooks?  Still worried that the virus could trigger the debt crisis that has been looming for many years. If that happens being in the markets will be devastating.

Maybe a bit of exaggeration in this article but you guys drooling over Canadian oil companies and their dividends should be careful.

There is a very real possibility that oil goes to near zero

Tue 17 Mar 2020 15:03:03 GMT

We could see a situation where oil is 'no bid'

We could see a situation where oil is 'no bid'

Goldman Sachs today lowered its Brent oil forecast to $20 and Saudi Arabia ramped up its exports to 10 million barrels per day.

In the note, Goldman said it believes that crude demand is now down 8 million barrels per day. Others estimate upwards of 10 mbpd.

"Large commitments from core-OPEC for April/May deliveres pushes the net supply increase near 3m barrels per day, which, when combined with the demand losses, results in an April/May surplus of 7 million barrels per day, which will likely breach system capacity during 2Q20," they wrote.

The phrase 'breach system capacity' is code for: There is nowhere to put it.

Crude can go into storage for a period but capacity is limited. At some point, all the tanks are full. We're already in a situation where gasoline prices are selling for less than a barrel of oil. That means that if a refinery buys a barrel of oil and turns it into gas, it sells for less. Refineries will completely halt purchases if no one is buying gasoline.

There will be people who will rent tankers for floating storage and buy oil now and sell it in the futures market for late 2020 or 2021 when demand rises but even that trade is limited by the number of storage facilities.

Once there is nowhere to put it and no one buying it at any price, the only thing that can happen is price falling. There's no limit to have far it can fall. There is a very real possibility it goes below $10, if not all the way to near zero.

The declines won't start until there are mass shut-ins of production from major private producers and waves of bankruptcy.
Edited by nuckin_futz

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with you on ENB and SU. I would focus on blue chip dividend payers. FCF, Margin, and growth. How does the virus affect their outlooks?  Still worried that the virus could trigger the debt crisis that has been looming for many years. If that happens being in the markets will be devastating.

Don't count on dividends right now. As a shareholder I want them slashed.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If the dividend isn’t supported then it has to be cut. 

Worse case scenario the debt structure will come into play. I am a ENB owner as well. ENB has a lot of debt and a question might be if they could refinance in a major crisis. It is a utility for much of their revenue so I am not to worried. Yet?

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Conserve cash

Totally agree. I will start a major review at the end of the month. Sitting on cash makes a lot of sense. It isn’t just the virus it is the cost to overcome it and the precarious global debt which will be worse after the virus.

59 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Any input on Canadian Natural Resources?

Dropped from $40/share in December to $13/share today.

10 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Any input on Canadian Natural Resources?

Dropped from $40/share in December to $13/share today.

I wouldn't rate them as high as Suncor or Enbridge.

Suncor is fully integrated (common folk know it best as Petro-Canada). Enbridge is the 'rail line' for the flow of all types of fossil fuel, which is/was already at full capacity.

CNQ isn't fully integrated. Their debt levels are a little concerning (just gave a quick scan). But most businesses debt levels are concerning right now. The good news is they have chipped away at their debt over the last two years.

Big picture they are a good blue chip company. But they are in the broader group that I expect to struggle for months, probably years to come while Putin and MBS have their pissing contest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1