The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie on TSN1040 talks about Canucks, Expansion

Baer.

I agree with you in a short term context. He's earned a spot on the roster. Is it best?

Will Hutton play a lot of minutes on his off side as 6th D as you have him slotted? Is it good for Corrado's development to sit in the press box? Will Hutton even play 6th D, or will he sit? And is that good for his development, any of these scenario's, compared to playing top minutes in Utica...

Short term, the best idea is to send him to Utica. To max the development of him and others in their situations. If JB is serious about making room when a guy earns it?

Trade Sbisa or Hamhuis to make space!

Secondary discussion: I noticed no Jake in your line up? Would he not help the Canucks more at this stage than Hutton? Who would be in a logjam with Bart, Sbisa and himself for the 3rd LHD any night?

Switch Bartkowski and Hutton, Bartkowski is actually capable of playing the right side. I think Hutton's skillset has earned him a spot, furthermore it's needed on our team, and yes he doesn't start in the top 4. Even if he spends some time in Utica I'm fairly certain he wouldn't just get slotted into the top 4 when he steps into the NHL. I think a defense pair of Bart and Hutton gives us some much needed offence from the backend. I agree that Corrado ideally shouldn't be used as 7/8 Dman but he hasn't done enough in the preseason to warrant a spot over Hutton. It would be great if JB can trade Sbisa to make room but I don't think that's going to happen, nobody would want to take his contract for what he has to offer at face value this year.

I think Gaunce has been our best prospect in the preseason and he was great in Utica's run last year. If any prospect is getting a spot on the team it should be him. If there's more room then McCann and Virtanen will follow but I don't think they're more ready than Gaunce. I don't think Virtanen can take any of the RW spots, and in my lineup I haven't even accounted for Grenier who imo is higher up the depth chart for RW than Virtanen. I'm also of the opinion that Virtanen can benefit from 1 more year of juniors not to mature physically, lord knows he's ready, but to work on his passing and reading of the play as well as try and create some plays on offense. There's nobody more excited than me about seeing this kid play but I think he can benefit from 1 more year in the dub.

I realize that my approach of giving spots strictly based on merit and nothing else is naive, but that's what management and the coaching staff said multiple times. If they don't mean it then they should not make those promises to the players.

Kenins is better off playing lots in Utica. He also can't play (albeit mediocre) C in a pinch like Vey. He's also not subject to waivers (yet).

Frankly Kenins hasn't done anything more than Vey to earn that spot this preseason (and that's coming from a huge Kenins proponent). Even without all the caveats in my first paragraph.

Vey will also be needed when we need RW depth after moving Vrbata.

I disagree. I think Kenins has done more in the preseason and last season to earn a spot over Vey. If Benning is serious about giving spots based on merit then imo he gets the spot over Vey. Plus let's face it, Kenins's game is a LOT more suited for the bottom 6 than Vey's. To your point that Vey can play C in a pinch while Kenins can't, that may be true but Gaunce can play C in a pinch as well. As for depth on RW, Higgins can also play his off wing if he has to.

There's other people more deserving to have that 13th spot.

IMO the lineup should look something like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Gaunce Horvat Hansen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Kenins (13th forward)

Carry 8 Dmen:

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Bartkowski Hutton

Corrado/Weber as extras

No way has kenins outplayed Vey.

Nah not really. I think if you put anyone on the PP in Vey's position they would have as much "success" as he did

Neither have played well this preseason. Neither is particularly better or worse at this point. Kenins is not a waiver risk however. I'll be shocked if he isn't sent down.

Vey may very well be as well or sitting in the pressbox. I really don't know why you're on this Vey vs Kenins standpoint so hard? They aren't even really competing for the same spot.

Vey's competing with McCann, Cracknell and maybe Gaunce for 4C. Kenins is competing with Gaunce and Virtanen for a winger spot with Higgins out.

Kenins and Virtanen should both be sent down to their respective teams, and keep McCann. Use Vey as the 13th forward. McCann's outplayed everyone in this preseason. Kid deserves a shot.

Agreed.

Virtanen is going to be good, but he's just not ready. Not only that, but he didn't exactly light the WHL on fire last year either. McCann had far more goals/points. So I don't agree with people who say that Jake has surpassed Junior and will have little to learn - that's far more likely to be true with Jared.

Also, Jake's style of game can wear on a player. They usually don't stay effective as long as others. Holding off having him bounce off the biggest/strongest players in the world until he's 20 isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Agreed.

Virtanen is going to be good, but he's just not ready. Not only that, but he didn't exactly light the WHL on fire last year either. McCann had far more goals/points. So I don't agree with people who say that Jake has surpassed Junior and will have little to learn - that's far more likely to be true with Jared.

Also, Jake's style of game can wear on a player. They usually don't stay effective as long as others. Holding off having him bounce off the biggest/strongest players in the world until he's 20 isn't necessarily a bad thing.

IMO, you've got the McCann/Virtanen Jr. /NHL thing backwards.

By all means, Jared's certainly earned a look but I think there's less to lose sending him back to Jr. He's still going to have to work and PLAY to have success in Jr. He's also got IMO a far better team to go back to with better coaching and better usage.

Jake on the other hand has a lesser Jr. team to go back to (albeit still 'decent') with what appears to be inferior coaching (to Jared) and somewhat questionable usage. He's also got his speed and size that, left less challenged in Jr., can become a crutch. It will be far, FAR easier for him to 'coast' and develop bad habits in Jr. with his natural attributes.

The thing Jake needs most IMO is structure and quality coaching. IMO, he's far more likely to get that in the NHL, though ideally we'd be able to send him to Utica. Jr. IMO is possibly the worst place for him and is only a last resort if he shows he simply isn't ready to learn/be coached at this level.

Any lineup that has Linden Vey in it is one I can't get on board with. He offers no skill set that makes him an asset.

1) Center who can't win faceoffs.

2) Skill player who easily gets knocked off the puck and turns it over too much.

3) Lacks the speed and creativity to look dangerous.

4) Too weak to effectively knock someone off the puck.

5) Not a good penalty killer.

6) Possesses no toughness and appears disinterested.

Just watching him frustrates me. Gaunce, McCann, Virtanen, Kenins and Cracknell all have something more to offer than Vey does.

I wonder what his team mates think. Vey himself admitted he felt he may have received opportunity he hadn't earned/deserved last year.

Archived