The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has anyone been to Japan?

Scottish⑦Canuck

I bought one of those 7 day rail passes. I can travel on JR trains anywhere (including the Skinkansen) but I think subways and city railways I have to pay for. I need to figure out reservations and all that but it should be OK.

The language barrier might be a problem for me. I've been trying to learn a bit but I'm struggling a bit. It's pretty different to the languages I've learned already.

Jr trains go pretty much everywhere you need to go. Single ride tickets on the main subway line (the competitor) are inexpensive.

Language can go either way. I got by with extremely little Japanese. Most people in the service industry speak English. For food, you can do fine, just pointing to pictures, but don't expect to have specific needs catered to ( I.e. Diet restrictions).

My wife is from there, so we visit there often.

10 days is really short, so I recommend to just visit like 3-4 areas. Maybe 3 days in Tokyo, 4 in Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, etc), 1 day in Hiroshima and the 2 remaining days anywhere to visit those onsens, Spa World, etc.

I'm more familiar with the Kansai area, as my in-laws resides there.

Nara is a great place to visit if you love the outdoors and deer. The size is like approximately the same as Stanley Park, but with lots of deer, shrines and wilderness everywhere. Just beware, those deer are aggressive. One even reached into my cargo pocket in my shorts and ate my map. Fortunately, it didn't steal any of my money, lol.

Osaka is a huge city, not quite as big as Tokyo, but still huge. If you're a shopper, check out Namba, Amerikamura, Shinsaibashi. Lots of pretty girls there. There's a huge aquarium at Tempozan.... but only if you like visiting aquariums.... apparently lots of "gaijins" visit there. Den-Den town @ Ebisocho is alright, but kinda boring..... mostly geared to (Chinese) tourists. Akihabara in Tokyo is better.

Kyoto.... the Golden Temple is nice.

Hiroshima.... it's pretty obvious. The destroyed building plus the peace memorial buildings. Lots of people volunteer to spread their message and experience about the A-bomb.

Tokyo.... Aikihabara if you like your anime/manga. There's the life-size RX-78 if you're a gundam fan. Shibuya is perhaps one of the main street fashion capitals of the world... so shop there too. Once again, lots of very very fashionable women (and men too).

I don't visit Tokyo much except to visit friends.... city is way too big IMO (I prefer Osaka).

As for really non-guide book places.... I did visit Osore-zan.... one of the most holiest Buddhist place in Japan. The very northern tip of Honshu Island. Supposedly the place matches exactly how the Buddha described the Gateway to Hell looks like. It's a very eerie place, as many families memorializes their loved ones there (especially children). When I went during summer, there was no cicada noises, the leaves didn't make any sound from the wind, the lake was completely calm with no wave noise...... very very silent there. A huge statue overlooking countless piles of stones, each representing a child that passed on too soon.....

hotokegaura44.jpg?w=803&h=1208

On wet days, it looks like statue is crying.

If you're in Osaka, there's a very cheap and tasty sushi place at Bentencho station. Inside ORC-200 plaza.

Simple tips..... get yourself those the ICOCA card... or whatever variant their have at each city. They're all compatible with each other. Just load your card and just tap in-out for the trains. You can use at convenient stores and vending machines to buy stuff.

JR pass if you haven't already.... you can use it for JR subway too.

Get a portable wi-fi device.... super useful when you need to use Google Maps or Google Translate.

If you need to take a rest.... just visit a Love Hotel, Spa World, book cafes, karaoke places. Very cheap during non-peak times.

Check out the Fushimi Inari Shrine when you're in Kyoto, it's absolutely stunning. It probably doesn't count as not being in the guidebooks, but I think it's definitely worth the trip. Himeji Castle's about a 2 hour drive from Kyoto as well, I don't know what your transportation plans are but I think I stopped by for a few hours on the drive between Hiroshima and Kyoto.

Rule 1: Eat as much as you can. The food is incredible. Go into the little noodle shops and izakaya and just point at stuff. They'll take care of you.

Rule 2: Don't worry about the language barrier too much. People are very kind and helpful. If you stare at a sign with a look of confusion, someone will probably come up to you within a couple of minutes to help. Use your crappy broken Japanese often to get big smiles.

Tokyo is Tokyo; you could spend a lifetime there and find new stuff every day. Akihabara is weird and creepy. If the timing works try to go to a J League game because the atmosphere is fantastic.

Not much to say about Kyoto...parks, temples, parks, Geisha district (gion). All quite nice.

Given the length of your trip, you can probably skip Nara. It's quite nice, but you might be spreading yourself thin.

If you really need to see deer and nature, you can try going to Miyajima ( you're in Hiroshima. There's a train line that gets there pretty quick. Great hiking, cute deer, great torii.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park is fantastic. If you go to the museum, make sure you go to the presentation on the lower floor first. Much more sombre, the upper floor tends to get packed with school kids. It's a quick walk to Hon Dori for some good food and shopping. Make 100% sure you try Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. Hiroshima castle is also quite close and worth looking at if you like the historical stuff.

Have a good trip!

Seeing as the Tokyo Guide books has just about everything (even Gay bards) I'll just highlight what I did in Toyko a few years back.

Park Hyatt Hotel New York Bar - Have you seen Lost in Translation? Yes this is the bar Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson would meet. It's so much better than the Skytree view. They sat us in a Seat next to a view where you can see The Tokyo Tower and Skytree. I bought a Hibiki Whisky 17 years and my friend bought a beer, I treated him the beer and it cost me 3600 Yen, not that much more than the Skytree. I guess this was my Bill Murray experience.

Akhabara - I actually don't like Anime or Otaku that much but It always amazes me how bizzare this area is.

Shinjuku - First night I went around here though a couple of guys asked me if I wanted some "titties" it bothered me a bit but It was still fun walking around. I think I went around the Golden Gai and Kabukicho

Sky Tree - In my first trip in Tokyo I went to the Tokyo Tower so I might as well go to the Skytree this time. The 350 Meter Observatory kind of sucks since it's so crowded and dare I say Tokyo Tower had a better view. An extra 1000 Yen takes you t other 450 Meter observatory which was actually really nice too bad it had to cost me an overall 3000 yen. Not bad but of all the towers and observatories I have been too, it's a middle of the pack one.

Asakusa Area - I managed to find that Sushi place it was standing room, and yes it was quite cheap. The Asakusa Area was great, actually I was there the last time but that was a Sunday and super crowded that we just gave up going inside the temple. This time it was a weekday so I had more relaxed time and even got into the temple. Great area!!!

Uneo Park - A great stroll around the Park, it was pretty sweet. I went inside the Zoo and at 600 Yen for the entrance it's not the best Zoo but it's always fun to see Pandas and Polar Bears. I didn't go to the other museums since it would take too much time.

Yanaka Cemetery - Peaceful place and a vintage place to walk around.

Ginza - Random Walking but as a person who lives in a country that does not have 5 floors of Armani, this place is just fascinating to watch.

Meiji Jingu - Loved it, it felt great walking around

Yoyogi Park - Nice walk around I was amazed how many people were there doing their own thing from painting, sketching, practicing dancing or singing for Christmas.

Shibuya - This is where I found out that girl couldn't make it so I was a bit bummed walking around here. So I guess this is my Scarlet Johansson Tokyo Experience . Still it's amazing just going around the crowded area. Plus it was Halloween so I saw many girls wearing costumes. Let's up it this way if American Girls love dressing up as Catwoman, Japanese Girls love dressing up as Snow White but with her outfit tighter and the skirt shorter

Edo-Tokyo Museum - I learned a lot about of Tokyo I even surprised my friend (who is Japanese living In Tokyo) about some of Tokyo's history. I had a personal english speaking guide in this Museum and he was really informative.Note: this area also has a Sumo Wrestling Hall, i think they have a free museum for Sumo.

Artnia - This is the Square-Enix Themed Cafe located in front of the Square-Enix Building in Higashi-Shinjuku. The place was kind of cosy spent $15 on a Moogle Cappuccino and Chocobo Chocolate Pancake. Not bad though I was disappointed there was more Dragon Quest (which is fine) and recent Square-Enix stuff than their classics (Chrono Trigger anyone?).

Tsukiji Fish Market - I didn't wake up early enough for the Wholesale Market and much less than the Tuna thing. I was hoping I would have enough time to eat but the lines were super long so I just gave up and went around for a bit.

Shinjuku National Garden - It rained quite a bit but it's nice to walk around here though the 200 yen entrance fee was a bit of a surprise (though it was fine)

Roppongi Hill - Went to a Wine Bar with a few friends. My friend paid for the wine which cost him 55,000 yen. In other words that's almost twice the pocket money I brought to Tokyo. It was a fun night and we were pretty darn wasted.

Yokohama Chinatown - It was a Sunday so it was crowded as heck. But it was nice to see a clean Chinatown for a change (especially after going to the ones in Kuala Lumpur, New York, and Vancouver). Ate in a Buffet for 3000 Yen and spent 90 mins so it was 3000 yen worth it. Also went to the Trick Art Museum which is a lot of fun though it made me a bit dizzy.

Other places I went to in first trip are Odaiba and Tokyo Tower

Rule 2: Don't worry about the language barrier too much. People are very kind and helpful. If you stare at a sign with a look of confusion, someone will probably come up to you within a couple of minutes to help. Use your crappy broken Japanese often to get big smiles.

True, I was asking for direction from a lady working at 7-Eleven and she was offering to let me use her phone for a few mins.

I was there very shortly, but I really liked Ueno.

The only other thing I would recommend (for any big city actually) is to take one of those super touristy hop-on, hop-off city tour buses. I know everybody thinks they're lame because you look like such a tourist, but the fact is you ARE a tourist.

If you take it as soon as you get to a city, you get a good general feel for the city and the lay of the land...from there you can strike out and start to see the cool highlights and neighbourhoods of a city.

my two cents

I was there very shortly, but I really liked Ueno.

The only other thing I would recommend (for any big city actually) is to take one of those super touristy hop-on, hop-off city tour buses. I know everybody thinks they're lame because you look like such a tourist, but the fact is you ARE a tourist.

Regarding Tokyo I found the public transport system to be robust and efficient enough to not need to go to a tour bus.

Plus part of the fun of visiting a place is exploring it yourself.

Also regarding Japan I used this site to travel around. I used this to go around Tokyo but I think it works in other cities and also traveling through different cities

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

Personally my next Japan trip I'd like to visit the world's oldest hotel

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298116-d1087898-Reviews-Hoshi-Komatsu_Ishikawa_Prefecture_Chubu.html

True, I was asking for direction from a lady working at 7-Eleven and she was offering to let me use her phone for a few mins.

I will 3rd this. I was at a train station and needed to find a payphone. A lady saw me looking confused and asked me if she could help me. On realizing I spoke only English, she actually went and found someone who knew more English than she did to help translate. Honestly, Japanese people and Scottish people...some of the friendliest I've ever met.

Have fun breathing smog and drinking poision

I'd agree. Spend your life locked in your room with a tinfoil hat on.

Japan still has the highest life expectancy in the world. It can't be all that unhealthy of a place...

Worked in Tokyo often over a 1 year span about 10 years ago, and was a fantastic experience. I didn't get out of the city too often unfortunately, so I don't have much more to add that those above.

If you are desperate for a taste of home, there is an English-style pub in the Meguro area (SW Tokyo) which helped keep me sane while I was there. But, given the length of your stay, you probably don't need to find it.

The subway was really easy to use, and pretty cheap as I remember, do it's easy to get around Tokyo and just roam around parts that sound interesting. Food can get expensive, so smaller shops and street vendors can help stretch a buck yen.

Not sure if this is still valid, but I found exchange rates pretty good in the Narita airport currency exchange office. Better than what my bank gave me, and way better than exchange shops in LAX.

Enjoy!

Archived