The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Rebuild ahead of schedule?

*Buzzsaw*

Definitely ahead of schedule.

They probably hoped Gaunce and Virtanen would be pushing for spots, but definitely not McCann and Hutton.

Remember what Benning said when he first came in. Not only were the Canucks lacking top prospects in the 18-19 year old range, but also the mid 20 years olds to bridge the gap. That is why he brought in Vey, Bonino, Sbisa to buy some time instead of going full rebuild.

Now the kids have outplayed those mid 20 year olds in preseason and Benning has a good problem to have.

You valuation is interesting. Are we behind because Gillis was the worst GM at the draft in history, or is there another reason?

It most certainly wasn't just Gillis, but he didn't help.

Burke and Nonis trading draft picks, Gillis doing the same while drafting at the back of the pack for position

We had a dismal decade almost. Then over the last 4 drafts or so started slow and

Jensen, then turned in to Gaunce and boom Horvat Shinkaruk, Subban, Virtanen, McCaan, Demko, Cassels, and this year Zhuke, Brisebois and Boeser.

Plus the other random additions via trade or waiver pick up.

We've done ok, but we are missing that depth at that position for prospects. Take out Hutton and Subban, where's our prospect D depth that is NHL ready or still in the CHL?

We're close. I mean our transition looks like it could be very very smooth indeed. And 2 more solid drafts with extra picks in the early rounds drafting where and what we need for the org.

We'll start churning players out based on development control and quantity alone.

It most certainly wasn't just Gillis, but he didn't help.

Burke and Nonis trading draft picks, Gillis doing the same while drafting at the back of the pack for position

We had a dismal decade almost. Then over the last 4 drafts or so started slow and

Jensen, then turned in to Gaunce and boom Horvat Shinkaruk, Subban, Virtanen, McCaan, Demko, Cassels, and this year Zhuke, Brisebois and Boeser.

Plus the other random additions via trade or waiver pick up.

We've done ok, but we are missing that depth at that position for prospects. Take out Hutton and Subban, where's our prospect D depth that is NHL ready or still in the CHL?

We're close. I mean our transition looks like it could be very very smooth indeed. And 2 more solid drafts with extra picks in the early rounds drafting where and what we need for the org.

We'll start churning players out based on development control and quantity alone.

Should we trade guys like Hamhuis and Vrbata to get back more picks, even if we are in a playoff race? I agree we need more prospects in our pool, and the more picks we can get the better for the future.

Behind schedule currently

Had Benning managed to procure some more picks in the 1st through 3rd rounds this past draft like we've had in recent years I'd still say we're a year behind simply for depth purposes.

We're in need of a guaranteed top pairing D prospect. A top 4 mobility D man, a top 4 crease clearing stay at home boy. Minimum 2 bottom 6 wing prospects to be excited about and a few of the top 6 prospect varieties

Simply put we don't have the depth of prospects yet to be on track. We're starting to integrate prospects yes. But now we've holes in our prospect depth again while we do it.

We're going to need 2016 and 2017's drafts to include an extra pick or three in the first 3 rounds of their respective drafts and then we'll be on track

And when you factor in that thought, the 2005 through 2010 years were absolutely dismal indeed.

That's what drafting/development is all about. Having a verteran LW, having an NHL ready LW to take his place and a prospect LW to develop for 3/4 years

We haven't had that until recently. So imo 2 drafts behind, but right where we should be regardless just lacking the depth of prospects

There's more depth in the system than your implying. Gaunce and Cassels, although natural centerman, might have to be converted to wing if they ever have a shot at making this team so there's a couple bottom 6 guys to look forwards to. It's hard to find a top pairing D man when the club hasn't drafted a defenceman in the first round since 2005, yet Hutton looks as if he can be that mobile top 4 your talking about. As for big bodies to clear the front of the net, Pedan and Tryamkin are have that potential although top 4 could be a stretch.

Should we trade guys like Hamhuis and Vrbata to get back more picks, even if we are in a playoff race? I agree we need more prospects in our pool, and the more picks we can get the better for the future.

Hamhuis no, Vrbata yes, under any circumstance. We've got plenty of prospects in the 18 to 22 cluster. There's a big gap in the 23 to 25 year old mix, but that will sort itself out in the next couple of years as the 21/22 years olds become 23/24 year olds.

That's probably why a guy like Vey is held in high regard by the current management -- there aren't many players in the Canucks pool in the age group that Vey is part of that have any potential of playing in the NHL. That is a function of MG trading draft picks for cup runs and poor picking.

I would say that the last four drafts have been fairly good ones, so the Canucks are positioned with some players that will have a legit shot at making the Canucks a better team...but that is still a couple of years off, so I'd say the re-build, re-tool, re-construction, re-whatever you want to call it, is on schedule.

The rebuild is ahead of schedule...nobody knew that Hutton would have the impact that he has had...I had never seen him play until the Kraftville game against SJ..his vision and skating are most definitely NHL caliber....His emergence makes someone else expendable..what a stroke of luck for the Canucks (much like when Edler fell to us late in the draft).

By all indications,Markstrom looks like the real deal....MacCann as well (if not this year,definitely next)....and Virtanen comes as advertised.

Horvat,Hutton,McCann are blooming earlier than was anticipated..no one expected this...This is why they are ahead of schedule.

The rebuild is ahead of schedule...nobody knew that Hutton would have the impact that he has had...I had never seen him play until the Kraftville game against SJ..his vision and skating are most definitely NHL caliber....His emergence makes someone else expendable..what a stroke of luck for the Canucks (much like when Edler fell to us late in the draft).

By all indications,Markstrom looks like the real deal....MacCann as well (if not this year,definitely next)....and Virtanen comes as advertised.

Horvat,Hutton,McCann are blooming earlier than was anticipated..no one expected this...This is why they are ahead of schedule.

Don't you think, even with these emerging young guys, there are holes in the prospect pool?

I think to contend for the cup, we are 1D away (Keith, Doughty, Chara, Weber calibre players)

Now the question is, can Horvat and McCann be 1c,2C or do we need a 1c as well?

It would be ideal if all we needed in the next 3 years is a true 1D whole the other first rounders and picks compliment the team rather than needing to be the go to guy.

Well, looking at how to get that D you have 4 options.

Draft

The 2016 draft has Chychrun who is likely the only home run future true 1D in the draft. He will likely go top 3. Canucks aren't bad enough to get in that spot without trading to move up so I think this option is out of the picture.

Trade

Looking at the market it, teams would have to grossly over pay to acquire one of these players. I really don't season any team moving a future 1D, but possibly, maybe there is a way to some how pry seth jones out of NSH. It again would be a gross overpayment.

Sign

The days of being to pick up a top UFA are likely gone. No longer will you see a player like Niedermayer making it to UFA. i guess we can alway hope TB over spends on Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, and Palat leaving Hedman up for grabs. Somehow I don't see that happening.

Develop in your own system

Could canucks develop their own future Norris D. Weber, Subban, and Keith were second round picks, Chara was a third round pick. Do canucks have a surprise bloomer in their system. At one point early in his career Edler was developing into that type of player, so it not like it can't happen. Hutton? Tryamkin? Long shots at this point.

So overall I don't really see canucks being able to pick up a 1D without a ton of luck. But you never know. Calgary picked up Hamilton (a guy with potential) for fairly cheap.

Had Benning managed to procure some more picks in the 1st through 3rd rounds this past draft like we've had in recent years I'd still say we're a year behind simply for depth purposes.

We're in need of a guaranteed top pairing D prospect. A top 4 mobility D man, a top 4 crease clearing stay at home boy. Minimum 2 bottom 6 wing prospects to be excited about and a few of the top 6 prospect varieties

Simply put we don't have the depth of prospects yet to be on track. We're starting to integrate prospects yes. But now we've holes in our prospect depth again while we do it.

We're going to need 2016 and 2017's drafts to include an extra pick or three in the first 3 rounds of their respective drafts and then we'll be on track

And when you factor in that thought, the 2005 through 2010 years were absolutely dismal indeed.

That's what drafting/development is all about. Having a verteran LW, having an NHL ready LW to take his place and a prospect LW to develop for 3/4 years

We haven't had that until recently. So imo 2 drafts behind, but right where we should be regardless just lacking the depth of prospects

I agree with you regarding defence - certainly prior to this pre season.

But after some good showing by our forwards I'm more optimistic than I was.

But yes, outside of Hutton I'm not feeling secure in the future of our d.

I think both are gone. Someone should make a prediction thread as to where each player goes..

Since both players our upcoming UFAs and of the books next year, we could even retain cap to increase the bidding and up the returns.

Vbrata (possibly retained cap) - Caps or Ducks, maybe rangers.

Hamhuis (with retained cap)- Hawks or Pens

Long shot

Miller (with 30% retained) - SJ or ANA

I think both are gone. Someone should make a prediction thread as to where each player goes..

Since both players our upcoming UFAs and of the books next year, we could even retain cap to increase the bidding and up the returns.

Long shot

Why would you retain cap? If they get moved at the trade deadline, their cap hit would be pretty small.

Long shot

I say Vrbata goes first. Then Hamhuis. We get one first and two seconds and one third for both.

What?? If those players that were thought to have been sub-NHL level are found to be at the NHL level, then doesn't that at least get us one step closer to winning a Stanley cup? Like, compare current situation to the scenario where McCann turned out to been a bust, Hutton was like any other 5th round pick, and Gaunce failed to increase his level of play slowly but surely... I'd say we are definitely close to winning the Stanley cup than we were say at the beginning of the training camp.

We are still missing a Franchise Defenceman (lets face it Edler isn't that) and a very good starting goalie.

Just because we have quantity doesn't mean we have quality

No team has that for all their positions. We are looking pretty good in terms of depth and in the past 3 drafts we've hit, more than we've missed. Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, Shinkaruk = 4 for 5 in the last 3 years (prior to this year.

In terms of top depth we have

LW

Vet - Daniel sedin

NHL ready - Baertschi

Prospect - Shinkaruk

C

Vet - H. Sedin

NHL ready - Horvat

Prospect - McCann/ Zhuke

RW

Vet - Vbrata/ Burrows

NHL ready - Virtanen (close)

Prospect - Boeser

D

Vet - Hamhuis/Edler

NHL ready - Corrado/Hutton?

Prospect - Tryamkin/Brisebois

G

Vet - Miller

NHL ready - Markstrom

Prospect - Demko

Then in bottom depth, although most bottom depth can be acquired through trade or UFA. We still have

LW

Gaunce/ Kenins

RW

Grenier

C

Cassels/ Fox

D

Pedan/Subban

Why would you retain cap? If they get moved at the trade deadline, their cap hit would be pretty small.

So teams like Pens and Hawks who are right at the ceiling can also be in the picture with little adjusting.

No team has that for all their positions. We are looking pretty good in terms of depth and in the past 3 drafts we've hit, more than we've missed. Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, Shinkaruk = 4 for 5 in the last 3 years (prior to this year.

In terms of top depth we have

LW

Vet - Daniel sedin

NHL ready - Baertschi

Prospect - Shinkaruk

C

Vet - H. Sedin

NHL ready - Horvat

Prospect - McCann/ Zhuke

RW

Vet - Vbrata/ Burrows

NHL ready - Virtanen (close)

Prospect - Boeser

D

Vet - Hamhuis/Edler

NHL ready - Corrado/Hutton?

Prospect - Tryamkin/Brisebois

G

Vet - Miller

NHL ready - Markstrom

Prospect - Demko

Then in bottom depth, although most bottom depth can be acquired through trade or UFA. We still have

LW

Gaunce/ Kenins

RW

Grenier

C

Cassels/ Fox

D

Pedan/Subban

So teams like Pens and Hawks who are right at the ceiling can also be in the picture with little adjusting.

Do you really believe in Subban?

Archived