The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

17 hours ago, JV77 said:

Been watching Lu since 06/07, and honestly right now, he might be playing some his best hockey in his entire career.

He is a Vezina candidate right now.

Not sure he is top three right now but he is getting close to knocking on that door. Top five or six is more realistic. Unless Holtby has a meltdown he is already running away with it this year.

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Not sure he is top three right now but he is getting close to knocking on that door. Top five or six is more realistic. Unless Holtby has a meltdown he is already running away with it this year.

Oh for sure it's Holtby's to lose really at this point.  But Luongo at this point would be a nominee at least.

My 3 would be:  Holtby Luongo Allen/Schneider

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

The year Brodeur beat him in all the key categories and had 12 shutouts to Lui's 5?

Brodeur .922 SV%  2.18 GAA 48 W

Luongo .921 SV% 2.28 GAA 47 W

Marty had better numbers but not by much.  Just thought that year they might take into account what Luongo did for a bad and new team vs Marty being on a good defensive team for his entire career.  But I guess not.

Lifelong Luongo fan!! Will always love what he did for this team and the excitement he brought. Him along with the Sedins make us legit contenders, and brought us so close to Stanley's Beer Mug! Luuuuu!!! Here's to hoping he makes at least top 5 in his career, hopefully higher!

Panthers just won 9 straight ... Luongo wasn't in net to move up the all time wins but still, they are flying under the radar and quietly building quite a season.  

Too bad no one is there to watch them live though ... has their attendance increased over the recent winning streak?  

4 minutes ago, The_Cherry said:

Lifelong Luongo fan!! Will always love what he did for this team and the excitement he brought. Him along with the Sedins make us legit contenders, and brought us so close to Stanley's Beer Mug! Luuuuu!!! Here's to hoping he makes at least top 5 in his career, hopefully higher!

IMHAO Lu is a first ballot HHOF player.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Panthers just won 9 straight ... Luongo wasn't in net to move up the all time wins but still, they are flying under the radar and quietly building quite a season.  

Too bad no one is there to watch them live though ... has their attendance increased over the recent winning streak?  

I was there a while ago... And no there is no one there! The good news is that we got two tickets, parking, two burgers and I can't remember if we got two beers also or if we paid for those!! That was 75 bucks!! Seated ten rows up... It was sad after thinking how no one watches these pro athletes down there. Jagr is worth it alone

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

Brodeur .922 SV%  2.18 GAA 48 W

Luongo .921 SV% 2.28 GAA 47 W

Marty had better numbers but not by much.  Just thought that year they might take into account what Luongo did for a bad and new team vs Marty being on a good defensive team for his entire career.  But I guess not.

The numbers are amazingly close for goalies and the teams also, I honestly believe the shutouts was the difference and of course a bit of comfort voting for the perennial nominee maybe.

56 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

It definitely has.  The game on Sat against NYR was a sell out and tonight you can see almost a full house. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Lol did you even watch hockey then?

26 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

lol yes

lol the Canucks were just coming off a bad season, missed the playoffs, and Westcoast Express was at the tail end.  As Alain Vigneault said about the 06/07 seasonm it was simply "Come on Louie" every single night...

On 22/12/2015 at 9:08 AM, gizmo2337 said:

Based on win/loss record so far this year, and number of games remaining (assuming no injury), he will pass Tony Esposito this year. The real question might be whether he can pass Jacques Plante as well?

The panthers have been on fire lately. So far Lu has 17W out of 39 games. Projecting out to 82 game schedule, an estimate of another 18W this year is possible. That puts him within one game of Jacques Plante by the end of this year!

20 hours ago, JV77 said:

Oh for sure it's Holtby's to lose really at this point.  But Luongo at this point would be a nominee at least.

My 3 would be:  Holtby Luongo Allen/Schneider

Holtby's a good goaltender having a great year and he's definitely in the running, but I think it's far too early to say it's his to lose at this point.

As it stands right now, only 6 goalies in the top 20 (of all goalies who've played at least one game) have played in 20 or more games. At this point in the season, we can likely safely eliminate backups and starters with long-term injuries. So, the stats for those 6 goalies:

Holtby 31 GP .932 SV% 1.93 GAA
Luongo 31 GP .929 SV% 2.09 GAA
Greiss 20 GP .928 SV% 2.33 GAA
Schneider 32 GP .927 SV% 2.10 GAA
Fleury 26 GP .927 SV% 2.28 GAA
Allen 31 GP .926 SV% 2.60 GAA

Even just outside of the top 20 you have Crawford and Bishop, both with a .925 SV%, and then Quick with a .923 SV%. I wouldn't count any of them out yet either.

And then you can consider the teams they're playing behind. For example, Washington has the second highest GF/GP in the league while NJ is 27th, meaning Schneider is getting far less scoring support and likely working more in close games or while behind. And, only 4 teams have been shorthanded fewer times than Washington. Poor Anderson has faced the most PP shots against (169) but also in the top 10 are Schneider (149), Crawford (147), Luongo (139), Bishop (135), and Fluery (134). Compare that to Holtby, who has faced only 106 PP shots against. And that's significant because special teams can really affect a goalie's stats. For example, Luongo actually has the best even-strength SV% in the league (among goalies with 20+ GP), with a .943. Not that Holtby is far behind, with a .941. And Schneider is close as well with his .937 EV SV%.

My point is that there are a bunch of good goalies have great years. Even looking at the straight up numbers it's not a runaway for Holtby at this point. And if the voters consider the team play other goalies might actually come out looking better even if Holtby's stats are the best in the league.

Either way, the Vezina nominees are far from sorted, much less the winner.

Edited by poetica

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

problem for Lui right now is the amount of wins, the way he is playing though that will change. He has turned back the clock and playing like 2007 again.

right there in the top and has 7 in a row.  But Holtby just racking them up.  He has 6 loses total lol and is 16-0-2 in his last 18!