The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Lu has a far superior D in front of him in Florida. Hard to compare.

Far superior D?? Probably slightly better, but not by much.

2013-2014 Panthers allowed 268 goals, -72 goal differential, both 2nd worst in NHL.

2014-2015 Panthers allowed 223 goals (only 1 more than Van), -17 goal differential - Luongo's 1st full season with the Panthers and only added an aging Mitchell, and an 18 year old Ekblad.  Luongo is a big reason for the improvement in goals allowed and differential.  FLA never had a consistent number 1 since Luongo left, and finally got one when he came back.

Edited by JV77

I love how each and every win is still cheered for on CDC. I still can't fathom why any Canucks fan ever wanted Lu gone, or wouldn't want him back in a nanosecond. He's a borderline 1st year HOF entrant, the best goalie we ever had, one of the top 5 Canucks players in any position, and the most talismanic player I've ever seen. What a guy.

On 21/11/2015, 21:33:12, debluvscanucks said:

panthers_39450.jpg

Sad....look at the value they get and no one shows up.  Yet here, you're lucky to get one seat for that price.

And when you get so lucky to get one seat for that price, a bunch of those dollars are going to subsidize Florida fans' free t-shirts and pucks!

7 minutes ago, poetica said:

No, but surely you based your claim on something more substantial than a comparison between 1 player from each team.

Or did you?

Okay.

Ekblad>>Tanev

Campbell>>Edler

Mitchell>>Hamhuis

Gudbranson>>Sbisa

Kulikov>>Weber

Olsen>>Bartkowski

It's really not even close.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay.

Ekblad>>Tanev

Campbell>>Edler

Mitchell>>Hamhuis

Gudbranson>>Sbisa

Kulikov>>Weber

Olsen>>Bartkowski

It's really not even close.

Mitchell is better than Hamhuis? Are you drunk?!

And subjective comparisons is your entire argument? Well, I guess it'd  have to be since the stats don't back it up...

Just now, poetica said:

Mitchell is better than Hamhuis? Are you drunk?!

And subjective comparisons is your entire argument? Well, I guess it'd  have to be since the stats don't back it up...

His two Stanley cup rings say hi. Yes as a stay at home D-man Mitchell is better than Hamhuis. I don't know anyone who would take Hamhuis over Mitchell if you're trying to build a championship team.

I don't know how subjective those comparisons are. Have you watched our D this season? The only reason we haven't gotten absolutely embarrassed in quite a few games this season is because Miller has bailed us out. The amount of one goal games we've played in is definitely not a reflection of our D.

From what I've seen from both Vancouver and Florida this season, Miller has been a bigger factor in keeping us in games than Lu has been in Florida.

Just now, DeNiro said:

His two Stanley cup rings say hi. Yes as a stay at home D-man Mitchell is better than Hamhuis. I don't know anyone who would take Hamhuis over Mitchell if you're trying to build a championship team.

I don't know how subjective those comparisons are. Have you watched our D this season? The only reason we haven't gotten absolutely embarrassed in quite a few games this season is because Miller has bailed us out. The amount of one goal games we've played in is definitely not a reflection of our D.

From what I've seen from both Vancouver and Florida this season, Miller has been a bigger factor in keeping us in games than Lu has been in Florida.

Cool. Tell them I say, "Hi!" back. I'd love to hear their story of how he single-handedly won them. I love fiction.

What team would want Hamhuis over Mitchell? You mean other than Team Canada? Or the Canucks?

And if you think Miller's a bigger factor overall than Luo, you ARE drunk.

Let's have a little look at the stats, shall we?

First team stats, according to NHL.com.

G/G - Vancouver: 2.93 (9th), Florida: 2.52 (17th)

S/G - Vancouver: 30.9 (5th), Florida: 28.9 (21st)

SA/G - Vancouver: 29.5 (15th), Florida: 31.4 (26th)

Shot attempts against - Vancouver: 972 (in 24 games), Florida: 978 (in 23 games)

Shot attempt differential - Vancouver: -21 (15th), Florida: -103 (27th)

Shot attempts by situation (5-on-5)
Ahead - Vancouver: -32 (13th), Florida: -45 (17th)
Behind - Vancouver: 24 (16th), Florida: 13 (23rd)
Close - Vancouver: 17 (11th), Florida: -94 (28th)

Unblocked shot attempts - Vancouver: 37 (10th), Florida: -81 (26th)

Unblocked shot attempts in close games - Vancouver: 58 (5th), Florida: -83 (29th)

And now goalie stats, according to NHL.com, ESPN, and War-On-Ice.

Miller - 20 GP, 7 wins, .913 SV%, 572 SA, 50 GA, 458 EV SA, .926 EV SV%, 80 PP Svs, 20 SH SA
Luongo - 19 GP,  8 wins, .924 SV%, 594 SA, 45 GA, 489 EV SA, .941 EV SV%, 76 PP Svs, 14 SH SA

And a closer look at their SV%:
Miller - .953 SV% in wins, .893 SV% in losses, .915 AdSV%, .915 SV% in close games
.972 Low danger SV%, .923 Med danger SV%, .820 High danger SV% (with 29 high danger goals & 132 high danger saves)

Luongo - .943 SV% in wins, .911 SV% in losses, .925 AdSV%, .936 SV% in close games
.958 Low danger SV%, .938 Med danger SV%, .863 High danger SV% (with 24 high danger goals & 151 high danger saves)

So no, Miller is NOT a bigger factor for us, in close games or otherwise, than Luo is for Florida. Not even close. There is definitely room for team improvement though...

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2015, 7:09:59, poetica said:

Cool. Tell them I say, "Hi!" back. I'd love to hear their story of how he single-handedly won them. I love fiction.

What team would want Hamhuis over Mitchell? You mean other than Team Canada? Or the Canucks?

And if you think Miller's a bigger factor overall than Luo, you ARE drunk.

After watching Canucks hockey for so many years. I would say that the Canucks play better in front of Luongo than with Miller. Sure the stats are there but Hockey is as much a people sport as it is an anilytical sport. The Canucks always seem more calm with Luongo in net. I truly belive that letting Lui go was one of the biggest mistakes the Canucks have ever made. 

As for Mitchell and Hamhuis, In thier prime I would take Hammer in a heartbeat but currently, Mitchell is the better player.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, smokes said:

After watching Canucks hockey for so many years. I would say that the Canucks play better in front of Luongo than with Miller. Sure the stats are there but Hockey is as much a people sport as it is an anilytical sport. The Canucks always seem more calm with Luongo in net. I truly belive that letting Lui go was one of the biggest mistakes the Canucks have ever made. 

As for Mitchell and Hamhuis, In thier prime I would take Hammer in a heartbeat but currently, Mitchell is the better player.

I'm not sure I agree. We saw them play very badly in front of Luo too. Likewise with Schneider, Lack, Miller, and now Markstrom. At some point we just have to admit that there's a major effort consistency problem with our team that has nothing to do with the netminder. Even if there was a preference for playing well in front of one goalie over another, that's a problem in and of itself. You play with the team you have, you don't whine and give it less than your all because it's not the team you want. If they want to pick the team they need to become the GM. As players, it's just up to them to play.

Also, I don't think Mitchell is the better player. It's always hard to compare players on different teams as there are so many factors that can't accurately be accounted for and when looking at their stats they're actually pretty even in most categories. Both play roughly the same amount of time per game and both have 3 points, though Hamhuis has played 1 less game. In terms of hits, Mitchell has 36 (in 1 more game) while Hamhuis has 31. That's not a significant difference, however, when you remember that Mitchell has played one more game and teams with better possession time often have fewer hits. Likewise, while Mitchell has blocked slight more shots (42) than Hamhuis (34), that's really just the result of a necessity due to Florida's higher shots against. Hamhuis is slightly worse is give aways, with 14 compared to Mitchell's 12 but that's so close it's pretty irrelevant. Same with take aways, with Hamhuis having 5 and Mitchell having 3.

Despite their similarities, however, there are some major differences. For example, Hamhuis has taken 27 shots compared to only 16 for Mitchell. Also, Hamhuis is a +5 while Mitchell is a -1. The biggest difference is shot attempts while each player is on the ice, which is probably a good indication of a Dman's defensive ability. Hamhuis' SAT is +14, second best on the team. Mitchell is a -152, the worst among Florida D. Worse still, looking at 5-on-5 high danger chance differential (via war-on-ice), Mitchell is the worst of either team at -30, while Hamhuis is -7. (For anyone curious, Bartkowski is Vancouver's worst at -27, followed by Sbisa at -18. Weber is our best, at +2.)

Of course, some of that can be attributed to differences in team play, but when Mitchell ranks as the worst among Florida D in several categories you have to recognize that he's a big part of it too. Add that to the fact that Hamhuis is 5 years younger and I think it's pretty clear that he's the better player between the two.

On 22/11/2015 02:33:12, debluvscanucks said:

panthers_39450.jpg

Sad....look at the value they get and no one shows up.  Yet here, you're lucky to get one seat for that price.

If that package was put together by an EPL soccer team (say Chelsea, where I am), it would be around $1,000. If the NHL relocated the Panthers to London, UK then they could sell a full season ticket package - say 20 games, two tickets per game - plus two proper customized jerseys for the Panthers (any players you want), for at least $2,500. If they sold 10,000 packages (easily I reckon), they'd make $25m - just from selling 20,000 tickets for 20 games. Add in the additional capacity - another 5,000 per game for one-off purchases - plus retail sales, food sales, bar sales etc - they could make a London-based team a financial success based on only a 20-game home season. I can't understand why Bettman doesn't look to move these financially disastrous teams elsewhere.