The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The puck stops at hamhuis

sayros

2 hours ago, fwybwed said:

The sad thing is...most of us had a hate on for Hamhuis for years....we could see the decline...when he went tot he Olympics it was a badge for the HammyLovers to utilize in his favor. I even took a warning shot from mods on the subject. So we basically been trashing him for years and still no improvement.

In other words you've been wrong for a long time.  Kudos.

3 minutes ago, fwybwed said:

Can you give any reasons why we as a fan base should not be criticizing his lack of effort and skill? 

There are no reasons because Hamhuis doesn't lack effort or skill.

I guess I must be getting old but to me, being fan has always been about supporting your team through thick and thin. I don't like everyone on the team, but that doesn't mean that they don't get my support. Plus being constantly critical of everyone and everything is highly unattractive and makes no one want to be around you.

3 hours ago, fwybwed said:

The sad thing is...most of us had a hate on for Hamhuis for years....we could see the decline...when he went tot he Olympics it was a badge for the HammyLovers to utilize in his favor. I even took a warning shot from mods on the subject. So we basically been trashing him for years and still no improvement.

Most of us? Give your head a shake. You don't speak for anyone but yourself and maybe a few others who understand next to nothing about what makes a quality NHL defenseman.

BTW: Hammer doesn't hear your "trash talking". It's basically a dog barking far off in the distance.

18 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Most of us? Give your head a shake. You don't speak for anyone but yourself and maybe a few others who understand next to nothing about what makes a quality NHL defenseman.

BTW: Hammer doesn't hear your "trash talking". It's basically a dog barking far off in the distance.

Most does not mean "all" and I have seen other posts from other members who feel the same way. You should actually give your head a shake...if you cannot see this then you are the one who doesn't know quality. So..."Hammer" won't see this....do I care NO...is it my opinion...YES...Will he see that you are sticking up for him....naw he'll just hear two CDC members barkng in the distance. 

53 minutes ago, fwybwed said:

Most does not mean "all" and I have seen other posts from other members who feel the same way. You should actually give your head a shake...if you cannot see this then you are the one who doesn't know quality. So..."Hammer" won't see this....do I care NO...is it my opinion...YES...Will he see that you are sticking up for him....naw he'll just hear two CDC members barkng in the distance. 

Who said "all". There are a sad few who share your ignorance on the merits of Dan Hamhuis. It comes nowhere close to "most of us".

BTW: I played my first game 50 years ago and am still playing today. The reason I "can't see" what you see is because I have an actual understanding of what it takes to play the position effectively.

As do the folks who selected him for the Olympics and World Championships.

I think the D in general is lacking internal competition. Especially beyond 1 and 2. There's really no alternatives outside of someone like Hutton coming out of nowhere. 

1. Edler
  2. Tanev
  3. Hamhuis
  4. Weber
  5. Sbisa
  6. Hutton
  7. Bartowski

If Edler is injured. It's probably a good thing for Hamhuis to be an option. Otherwise it's Sbisa, Hutton or Bartowski on the top pairing.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Who said "all". There are a sad few who share your ignorance on the merits of Dan Hamhuis. It comes nowhere close to "most of us".

BTW: I played my first game 50 years ago and am still playing today. The reason I "can't see" what you see is because I have an actual understanding of what it takes to play the position effectively.

Bet you were just dying say that you play hockey blah blah blah...like hockey is so hard to understand...get over yourself. Just because Hamhuis went to the Olympics and rode the coat tails of Crosby to the gold doesn't make him top D material....He MAY once have been but now he might as well wrap those pucks ups in Xmas paper and with ribbon. He had the lowest minutes played on the Olympic team lol....He is not the old Hammer....sorry to say... I am over it...you should get over it too and just trade him away.

18 hours ago, fwybwed said:

Bet you were just dying say that you play hockey blah blah blah...like hockey is so hard to understand...get over yourself. Just because Hamhuis went to the Olympics and rode the coat tails of Crosby to the gold doesn't make him top D material....He MAY once have been but now he might as well wrap those pucks ups in Xmas paper and with ribbon. He had the lowest minutes played on the Olympic team lol....He is not the old Hammer....sorry to say... I am over it...you should get over it too and just trade him away.

Apparently it is. For some, at least.

He went to the Olympics because the Team Canada braintrust considered him to be one of the top 4 left handed Canadian defenders in the NHL. How could he possibly ride Crosby's coattails to be selected to the Olympic team?

You make less and less sense as this thread progresses.

23 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lol. The old "I play amateur hockey so I know better than you"

Maybe you should watch Hamhuis play a little closer - he pinches to miss the net 5 times a game, he panics when the forecheckers come for him, and his decision making is almost as bad as Edlers.

He's not playing quality defence, and nobody cares that you play hockey.

So this seems to have gone the route of don't hate on hamhuis you'll make him feel bad and he'll play worse ... or we'll get a worse return.

I don't quite get that. It's a discussion forum. Do we really think hamhuis or benning or other GM's pay attention to this? It's entertainment. Of course there's more bashing threads than praise ones. It's human nature. Same reason why there's more complaints about products/services when they fail than positive ones when they perform well. Just the way it is, always will be. 

To prove I'm not just a negative nancy, I like Hutton. Bartowski kind of reminds me of old hamhuis too. Sbisa actually impresses me more and more especially with the physical play (that hit on Ehlers was fine). When I saw the D-core on paper to start, it seemed terrifying so I've been pleasantly surprised. That said, love to get a guy like Hamonic. Probably cost us one of our young forwards.

On 11/17/2015, 12:50:53, Canuck Surfer said:

Who is butt hurt? Or uneducated??

Hamhuis would be top 4 on 70% or more of teams in the league?

So we have a cry baby thread because things arene't going our way. And start pointing fingers.

Newsflash. We're currently in a play off position. Most did not project that. Guys, including Hamhuis, are playing better than people think.

Why turn on a good player, who wants to be here and is good in the community?

top 4 on 70% of NHL? Really man. We're all fans here but those are some pretty rosy coloured glasses. It's a big drop from our top two, Edler Tanev. 

Why turn on a good player? First, i'm not turning. Haven't enjoyed his style of play for years. Second, as with my above post, do you think your posts (or mine) are being read by anyone with any influence? If so, i blame your thousand plus posts for this team not winning a cup. Way to go.

20 hours ago, Davathor said:

Lol. The old "I play amateur hockey so I know better than you"

Maybe you should watch Hamhuis play a little closer - he pinches to miss the net 5 times a game, he panics when the forecheckers come for him, and his decision making is almost as bad as Edlers.

He's not playing quality defence, and nobody cares that you play hockey.

Spoken like someone who has never played.

Like it or not, 5 decades invested in the game as a player, coach and referee does give you insight that someone who merely watches on TV doesn't have, especially one who thinks the phrase "pinches to miss the net" makes any kind of sense at all.

Hamhuis has been bad, he was bad last season with his whooping 1 goal and hammer homers said its the points that matter tanev a defensive d man had 1 less point and rarely played on the pp. if he wasn't a Canuck most if not all canuck fans would have been disgusted with hisOlympic  selection. 

he is slow his passing is terrible his shot is inaccurate and weak he looses more battles than he wins he hurts him self with poorly timed attempted hits he can't handle players in front of the net he pinches and can't recover due to his lack of speed. 

he needs to be traded to the east where he will be a average #4. In the west Weber is his equal. Cruel reality of age and years of nhl hockey. 

Archived