The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The puck stops at hamhuis

sayros

It's becoming painful to watch more and more every game. The play almost always ends on his stick offensively. He is absolutely zero threat to score. Even when wide open on the point, it doesn't even look like he tries to lean into one. Always a soft floater that gets knocked down like it was a pass or dump. I understand that he doesn't have a great shot to begin with, but at least try to rattle one in off some shin pads. It's pathetic and sad to see.

Even in his own end or transitioning it's pretty ugly right now. I assume these are the reasons he was even in consideration for Olympic team, let alone made it. He has no creativity, always makes the most obvious play and puts pass receivers in a terrible position because everyone knows where it's going. Even the 'steady' play is gone. He turns right into checks in his own end and has no muscle or aggressiveness to recover. 

I've read some stuff that we have to trade him, but I can't imagine he has any value unless it's to Babcock or to whatever team who has the d man that he had chemistry with so he could make Olympic team. I say press box him. I haven't seen a guy in a long time lose as many steps physically and mentally in such a short time frame. Maybe him and bieksa were co-depenandant and they were able to survive playing together. Will always have a soft spot for bam bam but man, those two really dropped hard and fast.

I agree that Hamhuis has declined in recent years, but let's not forget about his partner in crime, Weber. Weber has been worse than Hamhuis so far in my opinion, which is exactly why he's a injury call up, and nothing more. Once Sbisa is back, I expect Weber will be back in Utica. 

Hamhuis will probably have a higher trade value than you're giving him credit for. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Bieksa, Hamhuis can easily fetch that much for Hammer. 

You nailed it, Hamuis has begun his decline and I don't see a point in keeping him. Last year many ppl wanted to keep Bieksa because he was a "heart soul" guy but look at his numbers this year -5 on a stacked team like the Ducks! The same is going for Hamuis we need to move him asap this year because the decline has begun due to age.

He's getting stripped of the puck from behind quite often now. His reaction time seems to have slowed considerably just from last year to this. His skating stride also seems to be affected; he runs out of time while handling the puck in the D zone oftentimes as well. He'll be a tough sell to move to a contender at the deadline as anything other than cheap injury insurance. Good luck to him finding even a one year league minimum contract for next season.

I find it hard to single out anyone....there are flashes of good and bad and it's all about consistency.  These guys need to be a little more reliable, NOT throw pucks into dangerous spots and make mindless plays that get them into trouble.  With that, right before he did that he also made a good play in impeding progress into our zone.

They have to be fully focused and not drift in/out.  Engaged and no momentary lapses, which they're currently guilty of.

This would be a fine claim if Hamhuis was by far and large one of the worst players in this regard. The thing is every one of our defenders is a trainwreck aside from Tanev right now.

And the sad thing is people are willing to pump up any journey man that plays a game for us if he's above average in even one facet of the game. 

Weber's got a good shot? Play him.

Sbisa can hit? Play him.

Bart can skate? Play him.

We've become so used to mediocrity in terms of creativity on our back end that a rookie like Hutton comes in and we're in absolute awe at things most top 4 defenders should be capable of. 

Hasn't been good in years. This is nothing new, rode his reputation around here. Maybe he still holds that rep around the league and we can actually get some value for him.. 

I disagree....although he really hasn't been the same since he was knocked out cold by Getzlaf.  Reactionary timing seems off and sometimes he's a step behind.

He's never been a minus player for us...not that I put a whole lot of stock into stats...but it counts for something.

He's never been a minus player for us...not that I put a whole lot of stock into stats...but it counts for something.

The thing about stats is, when based off one season, it could mean very little. When it's based off numerous seasons, as you've used, it can mean a lot more. ;)

This would be a fine claim if Hamhuis was by far and large one of the worst players in this regard. The thing is every one of our defenders is a trainwreck aside from Tanev right now.

And the sad thing is people are willing to pump up any journey man that plays a game for us if he's above average in even one facet of the game. 

Weber's got a good shot? Play him.

Sbisa can hit? Play him.

Bart can skate? Play him.

We've become so used to mediocrity in terms of creativity on our back end that a rookie like Hutton comes in and we're in absolute awe at things most top 4 defenders should be capable of. 

True.  The bar is very low.  Can't blame folks for wanting to see something different from the same old schtick of the last 4 years though.   Mediocrity really does describe this team at present. 

Hamhuis has been in major decline for 3 seasons.  He should have been gone the past two deadlines.  Finally the majority are seeing how truly overrated this "hometown hero" truly is.  Someone responded to me sarcastically with a shot about him being a top 8 defender in Canada via being chosen for the 2014 Sochi squad,  however that was surely a reputation call,  because facts faced he brought absolutely nothing to the table there as well

Hamhuis has not been the same since his hips were wrecked at the 2011 SCF.  However, he still bring a respectable defensive game but is terrible with the puck at the moment.  I would advocate trading Hamhuis only if there's some pick involved and you are prepared to transform the veteran defenseman corps to youth in next few years.   Trade a veteran forward for a veteran defenseman if you can.  

Archived