The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hamonic of course! 3-Way Trade to make it work.

HKSR

Ready?  NYI wants a defenceman?  Where better than to get one from the Defenceman factory of Nashville...

Nashville gets:  Kyle Okposo, Dan Hamhuis, Canucks B-Prospect or Draft Pick

NYI gets:  Seth Jones and Radim Vrbata

Van gets:  Travis Hamonic

Nashville does this as they want immediate help for a potential Cup run.  They get a familiar face in Hamhuis back, and add some size and grit up front in Okposo.  They also get a prospect or pick for future development.

NYI does this as they get Seth Jones to replace Hamonic, while adding extra firepower up front with Vrbata for their potential Cup run.

Van does this to get that top pairing RHS defenceman that they covet while removing two UFAs from their roster.

I don't see Nashville as being a destination, their defense is simply too deep to fit Travis, and even trading Ryan Ellis for him seems like it'd be a loss as he's doing well in his 3rd pairing role with PP time and his play with Ekholm has some saying they're the best 3rd pair in the league.  Jones, who's likely the heir apparent to Weber, should be a non-starter in this trade.

All you fans'll hate me for saying this but I could see Dougie Hamilton being an option instead of Jones. Dougie's star must've dimmed a bit this season after the bad start but he's still young, has potential and has played big minutes with the Bruins and Flames. Meanwhile, Hammer wants to move to a western Canadian team and he'd help solidify things for a struggling Flames team.   

So Nashville gets two UFAs that they don't need while giving up the player they consider being their #1 player under age 25 (they had a ranking on their website a few months back).

Nashville does not need wingers on expiring contracts - in fact they don't need wingers.  They need a young and ready C1.  That's the only reason they will break up their blue line.  Poile was also crystal clear that he is not trading for players on the wrong side of 30 and that they are unlikely to be active on the trade market in the foreseeable future.  

He was saying that his team needed stability and that they finally have a core group (which includes their 5Ds) that they like and want to keep together for years to come.  He was explaining that if you have players that you are familiar and comfortable with - you keep them and sign them long term.  He gave Ellis as example.  They've already started talks with Jones (and Forsberg).

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

If we're doing this we may as well do Tanev vrbata 2nd for Jones I don't think they do it but also there is no way they trade Jones for poso hammer 2 expiring contracts that they can't afford. 

I will gaurentee you they don't.  They will trade S.Weber before S.Jones.IMO

Archived