The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

Sportsnet analyst Elliotte Friedman joined Dean Blundell & Co. on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Friday and told the crew he believes the Blue Jackets will trade Johansen. The 2015 all-star will be seeking a significant payday when his contract expires after the 2016-17 season.

“Everybody talks about this ‘John Tortorella being John Tortorella’ and his history in Tampa," Friedman said. "When he went through this with Vinny Lecavalier, everybody forgets there’s a GM, Jay Feaster, who came right out and said, ‘I don’t care what’s going on with these two guys... nobody is getting fired and nobody is getting traded. They’re going to have to work it out together.’

“Now, we know John Tortorella is not getting fired because he just got hired. But there isn’t anybody coming out for Columbus and saying, ‘Ryan Johansen isn’t getting traded.’ "

“They had the salary dispute last year, and I really thought they worked hard to put it behind them. This is what Tortorella does. He takes his best players and he challenges them. They’ve questioned [Johansen's] will, his determination to put in the work that he needs to do to reach that level of talent. And I think what this has done is shown as an organization they don’t believe he’s anywhere close to being where he needs to be.

“At the end of the day, I don’t think they trust him. And that’s why I think they’re going to trade him."

While it might be easy to find a trade partner if the Blue Jackets elect to move Johansen, Friedman believes the club could be in tough to come out ahead in any potential deal.

“It’s a dangerous trade to make because it’s a hard trade to win. No. 1 centres are very hard to find. But it’s hard to do anything here but draw the conclusion that Columbus doesn’t believe that Ryan Johansen will live up to his potential when they have to really pay him a year from now.”

As for the most likely destination for Johansen to land in a trade, it's wide open.

“There’s going to be lots of teams. To me, this has got Nashville written all over it if they want to do a deal. I think St. Louis would be involved in this one. I think they’ve scouted him quite heavily. I don’t know if Vancouver has got what it takes to make that deal, but he’s from out there," said Friedman.

Friedman also noted that Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is someone to keep an eye on if trade talk heats up around Johansen or Tampa Bay Lightning superstar Steven Stamkos. Montreal could look to add an elite centre in its effort to take a run at the Stanley Cup in the spring.

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

One of Horvat or McCann + Vbrata + Sbisa + 1st for Johansen

Take out the first and sure.

I'd be a little worried to trade for him though. The best player on a team that's desperate for wins and they bench him? There's gotta be some character issues with him.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Take out the first and sure.

I'd be a little worried to trade for him though. The best player on a team that's desperate for wins and they bench him? There's gotta be some character issues with him.

True, I'm not sure if he'll ever make it back to that dominant physical 30+ goal scoring ability he once was, but you never know. I think him being benched is more an issue of Torts and not as much Johansen. Tortorella wants players to play a very specific, hard, defensive game and Johansen probably just isn't doing that. He's done this to just about every star player he's ever coached.

I know it's counterintuitive but I really would poach our D corps to get Johansen, even if it means Edler, rather than deal a young player.  

I would stop gap with the Streits, Schenns, Tinordis, Nemeths, Lindbohms, etc...cobble a top 6 together. 

It would be rough but it should only be one season. 

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Scratched and benched, he can't be happy. McCann and Horvat are starting to shine without Henrik and Sutter in the lineup, maybe this'll bump up their value.

One of Horvat or McCann + Vbrata + Sbisa + 1st for Johansen

Pretty sure CBJ want a youngish D and more....so yes one of Horvat/McCann but add in Tanev.  That is a more realistic ask from their side.  I think I may still do it.....but would hate to lose Tanev.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

True, I'm not sure if he'll ever make it back to that dominant physical 30+ goal scoring ability he once was, but you never know. I think him being benched is more an issue of Torts and not as much Johansen. Tortorella wants players to play a very specific, hard, defensive game and Johansen probably just isn't doing that. He's done this to just about every star player he's ever coached.

Interesting to note however that Johansen is former teammates with Baertschi and Sbisa.

He was also coached by Mike Johnston and played with Derick Pouliot.

Maybe we should recreate the Portland Winterhawks here in Vancouver.

12 minutes ago, Zaine said:

Pretty sure CBJ want a youngish D and more....so yes one of Horvat/McCann but add in Tanev.  That is a more realistic ask from their side.  I think I may still do it.....but would hate to lose Tanev.

Well if we added Johansen that would make one of those two expendable anyways.

We'd have Hank, Johansen, Sutter, Horvat or McCann down the middle. One of those guys would be stuck in a fourth line position for at least a few years unless Sutter moved to wing.

Some of these proposals have given me cancer. People are throwing away every prospect in our cupboard along with our 2016 1st (which could very well up being Matthews or Chy) for a guy who is showing consistency issues (something this market despises) and currently benched. I want Johansen too, but not if it requires us sitting in the basement for another 2-3 years trying to re-rebuild our prospect cupboard. 

6 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Some of these proposals have given me cancer. People are throwing away every prospect in our cupboard along with our 2016 1st (which could very well up being Matthews or Chy) for a guy who is showing consistency issues (something this market despises) and currently benched. I want Johansen too, but not if it requires us sitting in the basement for another 2-3 years trying to re-rebuild our prospect cupboard. 

I would never give up this years first in a deal and neither would Benning.

Maybe a 2017 1st but I'd want something else back on their side. Look what Kane and Bogosian went for.

I would offer up McCann, Tanev, and a 2017 1st for Johansen and Rychel. Anything more and it's not really worth it for us.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would never give up this years first in a deal and neither would Benning.

Maybe a 2017 1st but I'd want something else back on their side. Look what Kane and Bogosian went for.

I would offer up McCann, Tanev, and a 2017 1st for Johansen and Rychel. Anything more and it's not really worth it for us.

Makes no sense for the Canucks to move the 2016 first right now, unless it's straight across for RyJo. There was no 1st rounder in the Seguin trade, and there doesn't have to be one for the RyJo trade either if the value is fair. 

Tortorella criticized the forward after just one game behind the Blue Jackets bench, and MacLean — admittedly not a big Tortorella supporter — made a few calls.

"When Torts went there, I talked to a couple of people that know Ryan really well. That was after Game 1 [after which Tortorella questioned Johansen's fitness].

"They said, 'Doug, trust me on this: I know this guy really well. This is a battle Torts will not win. He will not win a battle with this kid. That's how hard-headed and stubborn he is. And he's a big-time talent.'"

Columbus and Johansen memorably butted heads over a contract dispute that hovered over training camp in 2014, until the sides eventually agreed on a three-year deal.

8 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Makes no sense for the Canucks to move the 2016 first right now, unless it's straight across for RyJo. There was no 1st rounder in the Seguin trade, and there doesn't have to be one for the RyJo trade either if the value is fair. 

Well we don't have a player like Eriksson to give them either. I don't see how they wouldn't want a first, that seems to be the norm in trades like this.

As for him being stubborn, maybe he just doesn't want to play in Columbus. I don't blame him. He wouldn't be the first player to not wanna play in a certain city.

I know Torts would probably love to have Tanev. He fits his shot blocking style.

According to sportingcharts.com, Johansen leads all Blue Jackets in giveaways with 18, turning the puck over at a rate of 0.58 times per game.

“It’s probably been brewing for a while,” Johansen told Portzline. “In Dallas I made a few mistakes, [stuff] we’ve been going over as a team, things we have to erase from our game. Full responsibility. My fault.

“I’m going to use it as a positive and take this day to watch the guys and realize that I don’t want this to happen again.

Sounds like Johansen understands why he was benched. Doesn't sound like too much animosity there. This might just be the media reading too much into things again.

Archived