Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Horvat- main centrepiece 

Tanev- top 2 young defenseman

2016 2nd Rd pick

Lol well you got there before me, was literally about to post this:

Maybe a deal that starts with Tanev and one of the famed 4/5 pieces then fill out the rest with 2nd tier stuff..

Likely Horvat or McCann because we'd be getting a 1C back.

Horvat, Tanev, +, +

think CBJ would want more than just a 2nd rd pick and I don't call Tanev a top 2 dman. He's a top 4 shutdown guy for sure though.

16 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Horvat- main centrepiece 

Tanev- top 2 young defenseman

2016 2nd Rd pick

I'd do this if it meant we lose more games between now and the end of the season.

In other words, if we land the 2nd overall pick, I'd do it.

Horvat replaced by RyJo

Tanev replaced by Chychrun

2nd Rd Pick goes back to them from the Torts compensation

Just now, Provost said:

I think it really depends.  If we give up those kind of assets, we can't go after another bigtime player in trade.

Really I think our need would be much more on finding a top pairing D in trade if we were going to shake things up and move some young players.

Is anyone trading away a top pairing D ? Hamonic is Top 4 slightly better than Tanev and Barrie is good and probably the best option but not sure if he is actually available...

Players like Stamkos and Johansen being "available" don't come up often and definitely have to put your foot down and check the cost.

CBJ Johansen will be a healthy scratch tonight

Columbus are such idiots lmao. They're actually looking to trade a young star player away. Thought it was just a rumour but McKenzie saying they're actually phoning teams now instead of just picking up calls. 

History shows that never ends up working well for the team dealing him away.

7 minutes ago, goblix said:

Is anyone trading away a top pairing D ? Hamonic is Top 4 slightly better than Tanev and Barrie is good and probably the best option but not sure if he is actually available...

Players like Stamkos and Johansen being "available" don't come up often and definitely have to put your foot down and check the cost.

I agree to some extent, but my main question is whether adding Johansen is going to make our team competitive again expecially when you consider the type of package it would take to get him.

Johanson is not an elite 1st line centre, he is a bottom end 1st line guy or he is a rockstar 2nd line guy.  Do you give up every tradeable asset for that?  If you are trading for Stamkos sure, you empty out all our assets to get that player.

Horvat for Johanson straight up sure... if you have to add in a Tanev or one of the other few top prospects we have... then you probably net out behind.

With the cap world, there will always be very good players available for trade in exchange for prospects.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I agree to some extent, but my main question is whether adding Johansen is going to make our team competitive again expecially when you consider the type of package it would take to get him.

Johanson is not an elite 1st line centre, he is a bottom end 1st line guy or he is a rockstar 2nd line guy.  Do you give up every tradeable asset for that?  If you are trading for Stamkos sure, you empty out all our assets to get that player.

Horvat for Johanson straight up sure... if you have to add in a Tanev or one of the other few top prospects we have... then you probably net out behind.

Johansen would be our future 1st line centre something we desperately need

would allow us to draft a stud defenceman

we were never going to do anything this season. Benning is just waiting until a ton of cap space is cleared up next season with many expiring contracts

trade for johanssen

unload all ufa at trade deadline for picks

draft high defenceman

pick up a college free agent defenceman

play the free agent frenzy market with a ton of cap space

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Johansen would be our future 1st line centre something we desperately need

would allow us to draft a stud defenceman

we were never going to do anything this season. Benning is just waiting until a ton of cap space is cleared up next season with many expiring contracts

trade for johanssen

unload all ufa at trade deadline for picks

draft high defenceman

pick up a college free agent defenceman

play the free agent frenzy market with a ton of cap space

Reasonable plan... pretty tough to draft a D that is going to help out in the near future.  Most of them take years to develop, Ekblad is a serious exception.

My concern is that Johanson is a solid but not spectacular 1st line centre.

It would be much bigger chance for success if you trade for a #2-3 defenceman (the equivalent of Johanson), and draft a stud centre or even a winger to play on our first line in 2-3 year when the Sedins are dropping in production.

Just now, J.R. said:

I'd prefer we do this deal in the summer honestly.

One of Horvat/McCann + Sbisa and their Torts 2nd back.

Think they have an option to give the 2nd this year or the next year (i could be wrong)... clearly they aren't going to choose this year if it keeps up.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Reasonable plan... pretty tough to draft a D that is going to help out in the near future.  Most of them take years to develop, Ekblad is a serious exception.

It would be much bigger chance for success if you trade for a #2-3 defenceman (the equivalent of Johanson), and draft a stud centre or even a winger to play on our first line in 2-3 year when the Sedins are dropping in production.

Actually a few examples,

Doughty, Ekblad, Jones, Hanifin

alot more seem to hit after the first year. rare but not out of the question

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

My concern is that Johanson is a solid but not spectacular 1st line centre.

I think he only looks solid so far because he Torts threw him in the doghouse.

Torts is a coach who stifles offensive freedom and prefers dump and chase and low risk play. Johansen is a creative offensive player who takes risks. They are like water and oil.

Torts loved Edler, used him horribly mind you, so I would be looking for a deal around him if I was JB. 

Edler, Higgins, 2nd, +?

Would it do it? Probably not but I'd be asking anyway  

Would I be worried about our D? Nope, not at this point. Right now that is a 'tomorrow problem.' We could add a body from another team looking to dump a contract. 

There has been the suggestion of Luke Schenn for months but I'd also be looking at Streit if Philly is seeking to dump cap. It may be counter intuitive because of his age but, as a stop gap, he'd add exactly what we need from a skill/experience perspective and would help next season too. Weber + a small piece like Jensen? Then get Tryamkin over here for March. 

Archived