The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

Benning said on TSN 1040 not long ago that he's had conversations about guys like Duchene and Johansen when asked by the host, he didn't single either one of them out, but said he would consider it if they didn't have to lose too many young players. 

I gotta think Johansen is on his radar. 

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Canucksmay have the pieces, but it would start with Horvat and Virtanen.

Depends on the market and how badly Jarmo wants to be in the playoffs. They haven't made it past 6 games in his tenure, and that was only once. Horvat or McCann with a valueable veteran, Vrb, Burr or Hamhuis maybe, and some depth, plus some level of other futures could do it. Depends what other teams will offer also.

Horvat/McCann, Gaunce/Shink, Hamhuis/Burrows/Vrbata, Higgins and a 2nd for Johansen and a throw-in is in the realm of possibility I think. 

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Canucksmay have the pieces, but it would start with Horvat and Virtanen.

I'd still consider that...but I doubt Benning moves Virtanen.

I think the only way it gets done is if it's for Edler or Tanev, plus Horvat or McCann. And I'm not certain if that deal is in our long-term best interests.

The most value I could see it being worth for the Canucks is:

Horvat, Vrbata, Shinkaruk, Higgins and a 2nd for Ryan Johansen and Goloubef. 

And that's on the very edge of overpayment. If Jarmo is asking more, then Benning should decline IMO. It's possible Jarmo could maybe get more somewhere else, but that's about as much as the Canucks could afford without completely jeopardizing the future IMO. Would rather see Gaunce than Shink in that trade, but would still be worth it. 

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

Depends on the market and how badly Jarmo wants to be in the playoffs. They haven't made it past 6 games in his tenure, and that was only once. Horvat or McCann with a valueable veteran, Vrb, Burr or Hamhuis maybe, and some depth, plus some level of other futures could do it. Depends what other teams will offer also.

Horvat/McCann, Gaunce/Shink, Hamhuis/Burrows/Vrbata, Higgins and a 2nd for Johansen and a throw-in is in the realm of possibility I think. 

I think its more of

young roster player (Tanev), high end prospect (Virt / Horvat / McCann / Boeser / Hutton), + tier 2 prospect + filler

Don't think they want  expiring UFAs

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'd still consider that...but I doubt Benning moves Virtanen.

I think the only way it gets done is if it's for Edler or Tanev, plus Horvat or McCann. And I'm not certain if that deal is in our long-term best interests.

I just doubt Jarmo would do it, because Horvat and Virt have been unwhelming this year. Johansen, regardless of the issues that are reported about him, is an absolute beast of a player. One that would easily be worth Horvat and Virt giving back in return.

Just now, Monty said:

I just doubt Jarmo would do it, because Horvat and Virt have been unwhelming this year. Johansen, regardless of the issues that are reported about him, is an absolute beast of a player. One that would easily be worth Horvat and Virt giving back in return.

Well, for whatever reason, he's not going to be a beast tonight!

I don't know if it's character, or work ethic, or health...but RyJo has a big red flag on him right now. Not saying he's not worth pursuing, just that I'd expect a discount.

And yes, Horvat + Virtanen would be a discount. I just don't see Benning wanting to go there.

6 minutes ago, goblix said:

I think its more of

young roster player (Tanev), high end prospect (Virt / Horvat / McCann / Boeser / Hutton), + tier 2 prospect + filler

Don't think they want  expiring UFAs

I think any deal involving Virtanen should be a no go. A Johansen/Virtanen combo has massive potential. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Lucic - Johansen - Virtanen

BOOM!

Yea exactly what I was thinking. Put Lucic on the other wing and that could be the scariest line to play against not only in the Pacific but the entire conference too. 

Just now, Pears said:

Yea exactly what I was thinking. Put Lucic on the other wing and that could be the scariest line to play against not only in the Pacific but the entire conference too. 

Totally. The combination of size, grit, and skill on that line would be unparalleled.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

RyJo probably visiting Vancouver for Xmas Day anyway, why not make it permanent? 

Maybe he should buy a house in Vancouver....

I'd be thrilled to have this guy on the team but he would not come cheap without some deep wounds..

6 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Maybe he should buy a house in Vancouver....

I'd be thrilled to have this guy on the team but he would not come cheap without some deep wounds..

Why?  Torts calls guys out who deserve calling out.  Did he call out the Twins, or Kesler?  No, he played them even more minutes.  He called out EDLER!  Torts knows hockey, and there is something wrong with this RJ guy.

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Benning said on TSN 1040 not long ago that he's had conversations about guys like Duchene and Johansen when asked by the host, he didn't single either one of them out, but said he would consider it if they didn't have to lose too many young players. 

I gotta think Johansen is on his radar. 

If he isn't at least asking, then he's not doing his job.

Archived