The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 10:54 PM, Dr. Hockey said:

Freeze in effect, no hometown Christmas present.

70Seven: a line of Lucic RyJo and Virtanen would be 100% hometown boys; 'The Pride Line'!

The Pride Line? Oh man.

Why do these lines need to have names to them?

If anything it would be the Murderous Forecheck Line.

26 minutes ago, smokes said:

Please no on Johansen, the guy has been a plus player once in his 5 year career. I would rathe Lucic than Johansen.

I'd rather build around a player that plays with greater passion as well, but you're way out to lunch if you'd take Lucic over Johansen, RyJo is an elite player/all-star.

2 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Johansen for Stamkos ... straight up, would you do it?   .................. not that Stamkos would ever agree to go to Ohio.  

I think the CBJ side does that every time. If I'm Tampa I think I would need something else coming back though...

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't doubt that Torts is crazy, but there has to be something to the benching. 

Considering Tort's history with getting players to do stuff that's not in their forte, I'm thinking it's most likely Torts in this case. Why hadn't we heard about Johansen's "problems" before Torts arrived?

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Considering Tort's history with getting players to do stuff that's not in their forte, I'm thinking it's most likely Torts in this case. Why hadn't we heard about Johansen's "problems" before Torts arrived?

You start to wonder if owners bring in guys like Torts to prompt(otherwise) difficult deals, of fan-fav players? Appears a similarity to Keenan's M.O.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

You start to wonder if owners bring in guys like Torts to prompt(otherwise) difficult deals, of fan-fav players? Appears a similarity to Keenan's M.O.

I doubt that would be the case. Kekalainen's going to want to get the most value for Johansen. Tort's antics would likely be lowering that value.

43 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I doubt that would be the case. Kekalainen's going to want to get the most value for Johansen. Tort's antics would likely be lowering that value.

Don't you think that in today's NHL all teams know if guys are having "issues"?  Look at Kassian.  All the teams knew what his troubles were.  If there is an issue with Johansen, the other teams already knew, and anything Torts said was not news to them.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don't you think that in today's NHL all teams know if guys are having "issues"?  Look at Kassian.  All the teams knew what his troubles were.  If there is an issue with Johansen, the other teams already knew, and anything Torts said was not news to them.

Not necessarily. It may be private personal information we're dealing with. Having said that, there obviously are the cases that could affect the team such as on-ice performance, how he is in the locker room, etc, and that stuff would be important in trade talks. However, if I'm a GM, and I know one of my players has a personal issue but I know it's not affecting his on ice performance, why should I be sending out such personal information to other GMs? If your doctor gave out your personal information to anyone who asked, would you be happy? It may very well be a similar circumstance between a GM and his player; therefore, it's really going to depend on what that information would be for whether or not it should come up with other GMs.

However, in the case of Johansen, I hadn't heard of any issues with him until Torts arrived; therefore, there's nothing to conclude there was anything wrong with him in the first place. so my initial statement about value would still stand.

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not necessarily. It may be private personal information we're dealing with. Having said that, there obviously are the cases that could affect the team such as on-ice performance, how he is in the locker room, etc, and that stuff would be important in trade talks. However, if I'm a GM, and I know one of my players has a personal issue but I know it's not affecting his on ice performance, why should I be sending out such personal information to other GMs? If your doctor gave out your personal information to anyone who asked, would you be happy? It may very well be a similar circumstance between a GM and his player; therefore, it's really going to depend on what that information would be for whether or not it should come up with other GMs.

However, in the case of Johansen, I hadn't heard of any issues with him until Torts arrived; therefore, there's nothing to conclude there was anything wrong with him in the first place. so my initial statement about value would still stand.

I don't know if RJ even has issues, but certainly his closest buddies (from Junior, and in the NHL) would know.  These guys are locker room buddie's, who live together on the road.  IMHAO they know each other extremely well.  Jagr was known as difficult when younger, now he's a super leader in fantastic condition.  Guys do change.  If RJ has issues, he can improve, and maybe we can get him for a discount?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if RJ even has issues, but certainly his closest buddies (from Junior, and in the NHL) would know.  These guys are locker room buddie's, who live together on the road.  IMHAO they know each other extremely well.  Jagr was known as difficult when younger, now he's a super leader in fantastic condition.  Guys do change.  If RJ has issues, he can improve, and maybe we can get him for a discount?

I still think his price is going to be too high for us. Benning's already mentioned not wanting to trade any of our youth and Johansen, who's 23, is going to command youth coming back, likely more than we want to give up as Johansen's already a proven NHL'er and all star.

Archived