The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

5 minutes ago, theminister said:

Torts loved Edler, used him horribly mind you, so I would be looking for a deal around him if I was JB. 

Edler, Higgins, 2nd, +?

Would it do it? Probably not but I'd be asking anyway  

Would I be worried about our D? Nope, not at this point. Right now that is a 'tomorrow problem.' We could add a body from another team looking to dump a contract. 

There has been the suggestion of Luke Schenn for months but I'd also be looking at Streit if Philly is seeking to dump cap. It may be counter intuitive because of his age but, as a stop gap, he'd add exactly what we need from a skill/experience perspective and would help next season too. Weber + a small piece like Jensen? Then get Tryamkin over here for March. 

The defence would be a complete joke if Edler was traded without a similar player in size and ability coming back. He plays the most minutes of any player on the team.

That would be a full on tank.

Torts has the nutcracker in full effect again.

Scratch Johansen

Scratch Hartnell.

Their top two scorers.

Who needs to score to win?  

Defend the 0-1 deficit.

Same old Torts.

And folks call the Canucks an unintentional/intentional tank.

Free the CBJ!

(Get us some David Savard while you're pinching RJ.)

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defence would be a complete joke if Edler was traded without a similar player in size and ability coming back. He plays the most minutes of any player on the team.

Would it be a crap show in the short term? Yes but it already is. It would not be full tank, it would be shifting from one area of need to address another. That's why I suggest picking up Streit on the cheap. I have no illusions about this year and neither should/will management. 

We are in that state where we need to think 'outside of the box' and take the short term hit. If Edler is the best D-man they would be offered available to help out the roster then we should leverage that. 

16 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Id be a little concerned with what exactly is going on with RyJo....there seems to be more to the story than we know. Not just a coach vs player problem. 

Got dicked around by the GM in negotiations, and is now being dicked around by infantile coach hired by GM. I'm not particularly concerned about RyJo's attitude etc.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Got dicked around by the GM in negotiations, and is now being dicked around by infantile coach hired by GM. I'm not particularly concerned about RyJo's attitude etc.

I'd be more concerned about his offseason training and diet but that is easily remedied. I think he'd be responsive and under the microscope here which could be a boon. 

Still...I'd take the massive risk for the massive payoff. 

7 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'd be more concerned about his offseason training and diet but that is easily remedied. I think he'd be responsive and under the microscope here which could be a boon. 

Ditto.

8 minutes ago, theminister said:

heard nothing but good things from people around the league. Pierre Mcguire yesterday talked about his character being great... either way sometimes people don't mix. I don't think any GM should consider this as a massive risk.

4 minutes ago, goblix said:

heard nothing but good things from people around the league. Pierre Mcguire yesterday talked about his character being great... either way sometimes people don't mix. I don't think any GM should consider this as a massive risk.

What I have heard it isn't a character issue...it's a regimen issue. 

For what we would be giving up to acquire him....yes, of course it would be a massive risk. 

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

What I have heard isn't a character issue...it's a regimen issue. 

Fir what we would be giving up to acquire him....yes, of course it would be a massive risk. 

I'd argue that case, Johansen is 23 w/ 71 points last year and 22 points this year. Comparatively to Daniel 74 points last season and 34 points this season. Then also have to mention that he's big commanding type of player.

Yes it sucks to give our promising prospects up but seeing as there are no guarantees that Horvat / McCann / Virtanen are going to be top 6 players it's an easy decision for me to give a high potential unknown for a sure fire great thing.

Just now, goblix said:

I'd argue that case, Johansen is 23 w/ 71 points last year and 22 points this year. Comparatively to Daniel 74 points last season and 34 points this season. Then also have to mention that he's big commanding type of player.

Yes it sucks to give our promising prospects up but seeing as there are no guarantees that Horvat / McCann / Virtanen are going to be top 6 players it's an easy decision for me to give a high potential unknown for a sure fire great thing.

I've said before, but I'd only trade McCann if it's a package for Johansen. Other than that he should be considered untouchable. 

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I've said before, but I'd only trade McCann if it's a package for Johansen. Other than that he should be considered untouchable. 

Agreed, I'd rather trade Horvat than McCann, love the guys compete and his shot.

Lucic - Johansen - Virtanen :emot-parrot:

Johansen to vancouver would probably be a great christmas present too Johansen lol.

Bob McKenzie was just talking about him on tsn1040.  Believe he used the words: "I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded".  & "This isn't just on the coach; these issues have been brought up in the past." IE: floating, not being in good enough shape. etc.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline  18m18 minutes ago

More Johansen: "I'm going to use it as a positive and take this day to watch the guys and realize that I don’t want this to happen again.

Ryan Johansen on his healthy scratch tonight: "It's probably been brewing for a while. But since the last game, in Dallas  I made a few mistakes, (stuff) we've been going over as a team, things we have to erase from our game. Full responsibility. My fault."

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense is already a joke. 

Lol. If the Canucks get a 2nd + RyJo because of Torts, plus Virt, that crappy year would be kinda worth it. Can only imagine if Kesler was scratched at his peak here if he was going through some tough games under AV, everyone would've been rightfully calling for his head. 

Baer & RyJo also have a history, so maybe he could get Baer going again too. It'd be like two forwards in one with the confidence Baer has lost since training camp.

Archived