The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Apple TV vs Chromecast vs Roku pros cons?

Warhippy

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

I love iTunes on my MacBook, but hate it on my (PC) desktop - virtually unusable as far as I'm concerned

but I don't remember it ever being an issue for Apple TV? the main menu thing for the last generation of Apple TV was extremely user friendly and self sufficient, I thought - just sorta blocky feeling (I think all streaming services are, in my experience)

Oh no, it's not Apple TV specific. I freaking hate iTunes on PC/friends iThings though. I've never used it without at some point getting the urge to punch the screen of whatever device.

Never used an AppleTV, maybe iTunes is amazeballs on it unlike every other product? :lol: Can't imagine they'd be a good solution though for someone who has ZERO other iThings. My experience with Apple stuff is they're easy to use and can be worthwhile if you already have a large iEcosystem you're heavily invested in. For everyone else they're less powerful, less flexible, more expensive items that there is probably a better and/or cheaper alternative.

From what I recall AppleTV's play less file formats, have less features/options and cost more. Par for course.

I actually really liked my old WDTV until it started getting flakey. Easy to use and played ANYTHING. Was slow though.

Roku with Plex was a a nice upgrade in speed of the GUI. Still have some customation I need to do to get my media showing up how I want it.

47 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Just get Kodi (XBMC) and Popcorntime tv and you will be good to go.. 

I have like 10,000 channels lol and can watch any content provided I use a VPN service like Private Internet Access or FrootVPN. 

So long story short I pay like $5 a month for any content. 

I might actually save this comment. seems reasonable.  Again at days end I don't watch sweet f all for tv.  but if my wife loses her reality tv shows and such it's a fight on my hands.

Have you had any issues with this at all via kodi?

• 8 months later...
46 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

To all those that use streaming services what is your data plan like? What's your ISP? I am thinking of getting an android box for Kodi. Just wondering what's the best one for a good price? I don't really want to go over $150

I have been using Kodi on an android box for past 3 years and I love it.....cancelled cable last year too and still watch all the sports I can handle.  As for ISP...I use Shaw...just got the new Shaw 150....signed up for 2 year contract. ... $49 per month for 1st year $79 per month for second year....download speeds are 150 mbs and upload the 15mbs...with 1 T of data per month....Ive been just using a $100 box of Amazon too and it works great once you familiarize yourself with Kodi and the best addons.   You wont regret it....I havent downloaded a torrent in years...now point just stream everything.  Oh and watched UFC 202 this weekend no problem.

As for Android box I have 2...pretty happy with my M8S and funny enough my dusted off GBox Midnight 2 running Linux openelec is working amazing.

Anybody got an Nvidia Shield yet? The hardware looks GREAT and far more capable than the Roku's, Chromecasts, iCrap etc that are out there for doing things like 4K, HD audio etc (as well as they do games etc if you're in to that).

But I'm curious what people's experiences are with actually using it (particularly with Plex).

https://shield.nvidia.com/

shield-android-tv-still-v2.jpg

On 11/30/2015 at 1:35 PM, J.R. said:

I actually really liked my old WDTV until it started getting flakey. Easy to use and played ANYTHING. Was slow though.

Roku with Plex was a a nice upgrade in speed of the GUI. Still have some customation I need to do to get my media showing up how I want it.

I love my WDTV.  Great for streaming off a NAS and not paying any subscription costs.  Not that I'm advocating torrenting....

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Anybody got an Nvidia Shield yet? The hardware looks GREAT and far more capable than the Roku's, Chromecasts, iCrap etc that are out there for doing things like 4K, HD audio etc (as well as they do games etc if you're in to that).

But I'm curious what people's experiences are with actually using it (particularly with Plex).

https://shield.nvidia.com/

shield-android-tv-still-v2.jpg

Ive been looking at it. ...I think this is my next box....I heard it runs android tv rather than android mobile.

5 hours ago, inane said:

My only reason for not doing this is live sports, particularly Vancouver. Has streaming through kodi or whatever platform got to the point where it's not jittery garbage yet? 

Totally at that point....use pro sports addon or vidtime is quite good too. Most of the streams I watch are minimum 720p

Also dont forget cbc streams hnic every Saturday. 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I love my WDTV.  Great for streaming off a NAS and not paying any subscription costs.  Not that I'm advocating torrenting....

Got a Roku with Plex now that does the same and works better. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 3:09 PM, Warhippy said:

I might actually save this comment. seems reasonable.  Again at days end I don't watch sweet f all for tv.  but if my wife loses her reality tv shows and such it's a fight on my hands.

Have you had any issues with this at all via kodi?

Here's your solution. Start streaming the drama around your quest for cheaptv. experiment with every device out there so your audience gets to know them all. get your wife insane with it all. make sure she misses a week of her shows at least once a month I'd pay to see this. at the very least the extra income will cover any route your end up with

My wife and I have iPads, and she has an iPhone, so for us Apple TV is fantastic. We can stream from any of those devices within seconds. So quickly throwing on Spotify, an internet video, or pictures we took is seamless.

But if you don't have other Apple products, I don't see any advantage over the others. Chromecast would probably be better for you.

Archived