The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan Accountability

Patchoball Cannons

2 hours ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

We have been lucky enough to have a team that has competed every year for the better part of 2 decades. We have enjoyed some great success in that time and some very offensive teams to watch and enjoy for years. We haven't been stuck in a 10 year rebuild and the misery that comes with that. Through all that, we still have the single worst fan base in the NHL. Doesn't matter where the team is in the standings or how well they are playing, the so called fans of this team pick apart anything they can. The players are no good, the coach always needs to be fired and whoever our GM is, is the worst decision maker in pro sports. The sky is always falling. This city is so marred in negativity there is no way that doesn't bring the players down who play here. I don't know if its all the rain, the negative sports media or all the transplanted Vancouverites, who jump on and off of the bandwagon so often it's surprising it hasn't tipped over. Winnipeg has never won a cup either, yet that city lives and dies for their team, weather its the Jets or the Moose, they support their team through thick and thin. Look at the Calgary stands during the playoffs, their sea of Red provided a lift for their team and gave them energy. I'm not saying that's the reason they beat us last year but it certainly didn't hurt. Fans of the Oilers and Leafs live up to the name fanatic, yeah their delusional and really annoying to listen to, but thy are passionate and support the team no matter what. Montreal is in a league of their own. The fans in Montreal are the best in the NHL. They know when to cheer, when to heckle and most of all how to give their team a home ice advantage. Ottawa has the shortest NHL history of any Canadian team, but still do a way better job of creating energy in their rink and supporting their team. I am a die hard Canucks fan and have been since I was a kid (36 now) I've lived through the highs and lows that have come with supporting this team, but in the end I've always been a fan, and that means being fanatical about your support. I go to the games and make noise, only to be looked at like a freak from all the silent viewers at Canucks games, only to hear them make noise when the games over, and that noise is all about why the team is terrible, what they would do with the lines, who they would trade out and in, as if it were all so simple. We have the quietest playoff rink in the entire league, they make more noise in cities where they haven't even figured icing out yet, it's embarrassing. Everyone wants to bash the team, I want to bash the fans. We can't control who the coach puts on the ice, or who the GM gives the coach to work with. We can bring energy to the rink every night, we can build the players confidence up through unwavering support, we can wear our colours to the games, we can make some noise. This is a challenge to all the actual fans of this team. Let's try and be supportive no matter what's happening, let's try and keep positive an lets turn this reputation around. Most of all let's make some f'n noise when we go to Rogers arena!

Well said.  Other than the year with Torts, the team has played well.  IMO the players do try hard but they do make mistakes.  Also some are better than others and at the moment there are more "better" players on other teams than on the Canucks.  As you have said we all need to get behind the team - whether they are good or bad.  It is not forever, whether or not they play  well.  When doing poorly it will get better.  Patience is what is required.

4 hours ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

We have been lucky enough to have a team that has competed every year for the better part of 2 decades. We have enjoyed some great success in that time and some very offensive teams to watch and enjoy for years. We haven't been stuck in a 10 year rebuild and the misery that comes with that. Through all that, we still have the single worst fan base in the NHL. Doesn't matter where the team is in the standings or how well they are playing, the so called fans of this team pick apart anything they can. The players are no good, the coach always needs to be fired and whoever our GM is, is the worst decision maker in pro sports. The sky is always falling. This city is so marred in negativity there is no way that doesn't bring the players down who play here. I don't know if its all the rain, the negative sports media or all the transplanted Vancouverites, who jump on and off of the bandwagon so often it's surprising it hasn't tipped over. Winnipeg has never won a cup either, yet that city lives and dies for their team, weather its the Jets or the Moose, they support their team through thick and thin. Look at the Calgary stands during the playoffs, their sea of Red provided a lift for their team and gave them energy. I'm not saying that's the reason they beat us last year but it certainly didn't hurt. Fans of the Oilers and Leafs live up to the name fanatic, yeah their delusional and really annoying to listen to, but thy are passionate and support the team no matter what. Montreal is in a league of their own. The fans in Montreal are the best in the NHL. They know when to cheer, when to heckle and most of all how to give their team a home ice advantage. Ottawa has the shortest NHL history of any Canadian team, but still do a way better job of creating energy in their rink and supporting their team. I am a die hard Canucks fan and have been since I was a kid (36 now) I've lived through the highs and lows that have come with supporting this team, but in the end I've always been a fan, and that means being fanatical about your support. I go to the games and make noise, only to be looked at like a freak from all the silent viewers at Canucks games, only to hear them make noise when the games over, and that noise is all about why the team is terrible, what they would do with the lines, who they would trade out and in, as if it were all so simple. We have the quietest playoff rink in the entire league, they make more noise in cities where they haven't even figured icing out yet, it's embarrassing. Everyone wants to bash the team, I want to bash the fans. We can't control who the coach puts on the ice, or who the GM gives the coach to work with. We can bring energy to the rink every night, we can build the players confidence up through unwavering support, we can wear our colours to the games, we can make some noise. This is a challenge to all the actual fans of this team. Let's try and be supportive no matter what's happening, let's try and keep positive an lets turn this reputation around. Most of all let's make some f'n noise when we go to Rogers arena!

Most of all let's use our f'n space bar!!!!

Best thread I have seen on this forum. We support in the highs and the lows. Players come and go. Some grow others fade, but we are the fans no matter what. So let's support the team and hopefully in 2ish years we can bust this bubble we are in and chase the cup once again with confidence. Give Horvat and the young guys a lasting passion for the club so they don't wanna leave for a long time. Give the Sedins, and the rest of the veterans the support they deserve after giving so much to the city on and off the ice.  

Unfortunately with the weaker loonie, ticket prices need to go up especially when you consider that most NHL players get paid in American dollars while the Canucks generate Canadian dollars. If you consider what the Cap space is in Canadian dollars, one can understand the cost of the high prices. Florida doesn't really spend up to the Max but what if you compare the Canucks ticket prices to those of Montreal or New York. I consider Florida a non starter in terms of fan base. The reason why Florida has such affordable ticket prices is because they are having serious problems filling up the seats. I agree with the revenue sharing portion of the arguement though. If the Canucks were allowed to keep the profits and not have to share with the money losing teams then ticket prices would go down. What I don't understand is why the NHL is still willing to lose money in markets that continue to draw no fans. Seattle, Portland, Windsor are all teams that can draw ticket sales higher than a Florida, or Arizona. Get out of the money losing areas and put the teams in cities that work. Atlanta going to Winnipeg is a great example. If Bettman was not so stubborn, The Canucks would not have to pay Revenue sharing thus saving money thus maybe passing those saving back to the fans.

I don't post much but I 10000% agree with that you're saying. The so-call fans you're talking about are ridiculous. Even as we speak these so-call fans just come to this post, not reading it, and types comments like "it's too long of a read" yet they still want to comment about it. According to these people, there are always something wrong with the team, coaches, players, and management, but the biggest problem is the fan base. As soon as we lose a game a tread gets created about how terrible so and so played... That's Terrible! You don't see the fans in Toronto gunning for Babcock's head do you? They are dead last in their division, and yet they still understand that there is a process of turning things around. It's not a one night thing. And here we are into WD's second NHL season, people are already saying he's not the one and he should be fired.There's a difference between being a banwagoner when the team is winning and a difference between calling yourself a fan just to trash the team. 

I used to be a ban wagoner until the Canucks lost to the Hawks 2 years in a roll and after going through all that pain I understand the ones who're in the most pain are the players themselves. I became a real fan then and I'll cheer for them whether they win or lose, it's suppose to be a FUN THING to do, going to games. HOW IS IT FUN FOR YOU TO BE SO NEGATIVE AND COMPLAIN, are Vancouverites that whiney? I don't think so. For crying out loud! Please do the real fans all a favour if you're not gonna support the team the very least you can do is be more classy about your comments.

7 hours ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

We have been lucky enough to have a team that has competed every year for the better part of 2 decades. We have enjoyed some great success in that time and some very offensive teams to watch and enjoy for years. We haven't been stuck in a 10 year rebuild and the misery that comes with that.

Through all that, we still have the single worst fan base in the NHL.

Doesn't matter where the team is in the standings or how well they are playing, the so called fans of this team pick apart anything they can. The players are no good, the coach always needs to be fired and whoever our GM is, is the worst decision maker in pro sports. The sky is always falling. This city is so marred in negativity there is no way that doesn't bring the players down who play here. I don't know if its all the rain, the negative sports media or all the transplanted Vancouverites, who jump on and off of the bandwagon so often it's surprising it hasn't tipped over.

Winnipeg has never won a cup either, yet that city lives and dies for their team, weather its the Jets or the Moose, they support their team through thick and thin. Look at the Calgary stands during the playoffs, their sea of Red provided a lift for their team and gave them energy. I'm not saying that's the reason they beat us last year but it certainly didn't hurt. Fans of the Oilers and Leafs live up to the name fanatic, yeah their delusional and really annoying to listen to, but thy are passionate and support the team no matter what. Montreal is in a league of their own. The fans in Montreal are the best in the NHL. They know when to cheer, when to heckle and most of all how to give their team a home ice advantage. Ottawa has the shortest NHL history of any Canadian team, but still do a way better job of creating energy in their rink and supporting their team.

I am a die hard Canucks fan and have been since I was a kid (36 now) I've lived through the highs and lows that have come with supporting this team, but in the end I've always been a fan, and that means being fanatical about your support. I go to the games and make noise, only to be looked at like a freak from all the silent viewers at Canucks games, only to hear them make noise when the games over, and that noise is all about why the team is terrible, what they would do with the lines, who they would trade out and in, as if it were all so simple. We have the quietest playoff rink in the entire league, they make more noise in cities where they haven't even figured icing out yet, it's embarrassing.

Everyone wants to bash the team, I want to bash the fans.

We can't control who the coach puts on the ice, or who the GM gives the coach to work with. We can bring energy to the rink every night, we can build the players confidence up through unwavering support, we can wear our colours to the games, we can make some noise. This is a challenge to all the actual fans of this team. Let's try and be supportive no matter what's happening, let's try and keep positive an lets turn this reputation around. Most of all let's make some f'n noise when we go to Rogers arena!

10 hours ago, The Game said:

Except we don't make millions of dollars playing hockey... ?

Why does that make it matter? Do you honestly think the game is easier, just because they are well paid? You are confused between what a top level sportsman has to go through and the rewards.

These guys live in a world of pain and just because they often make the game look easy, don't kid yourself. Look at Kenins last night. It was obvious the guy was hurt but he played through an injury that would probably have taken most sportsmen out of the game. My guess is he feared that he might lose his spot.

4 hours ago, feifei00 said:

I don't post much but I 10000% agree with that you're saying. The so-call fans you're talking about are ridiculous. Even as we speak these so-call fans just come to this post, not reading it, and types comments like "it's too long of a read" yet they still want to comment about it. According to these people, there are always something wrong with the team, coaches, players, and management, but the biggest problem is the fan base. As soon as we lose a game a tread gets created about how terrible so and so played... That's Terrible! You don't see the fans in Toronto gunning for Babcock's head do you? They are dead last in their division, and yet they still understand that there is a process of turning things around. It's not a one night thing. And here we are into WD's second NHL season, people are already saying he's not the one and he should be fired.There's a difference between being a banwagoner when the team is winning and a difference between calling yourself a fan just to trash the team. 

I used to be a ban wagoner until the Canucks lost to the Hawks 2 years in a roll and after going through all that pain I understand the ones who're in the most pain are the players themselves. I became a real fan then and I'll cheer for them whether they win or lose, it's suppose to be a FUN THING to do, going to games. HOW IS IT FUN FOR YOU TO BE SO NEGATIVE AND COMPLAIN, are Vancouverites that whiney? I don't think so. For crying out loud! Please do the real fans all a favour if you're not gonna support the team the very least you can do is be more classy about your comments.

Well said but some of these people will call you a homer or a happy clapper now. They won't change, they are in it to rip this team and it's coaches and management and they in for the long hall.

No accountability for "fans" no consequences. A win for the team cripples them because it holds up their agenda. Some one else remarked on how quiet these boards are when we win. Well they find it harder to sell their bias, that's why.

They are lynch mob recruiters, they pick their victim and try to convince others how bad he is despite what most fair minded fans see when they actually watch a game so its the bandwaggoners they recruit to their cause and there is no shortage of them in this fan base.

Don't get me wrong some players may well deserve criticism but often there are deeper reasons for their mistakes. We are fans we should be more sympathetic with what the team, the coaches and the management are going through. 

We are a patchwork quilt of rookies, new players, ahl players, veterans and it seems we are constantly being hit with injuries to some of our most important players.

What is the point of berating them or the coach? They are, with a few game exceptions, trying their best but they are a team in transition and by definition that means a team not expected to do much except give their all every night. I'm happy to wait to see what kind of team unfolds over the next 3 years and as the poster above says it will be exciting and entertaining if we approach it with the right attitude and get behind whoever is wearing the jersey.

Going to the game on Monday....will support the team as always.

Rough in this town when we lose.   people become hostile and lose their minds.  I've been a sports fan for many years and you learn to take the good with the bad.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Going to the game on Monday....will support the team as always.

Rough in this town when we lose.   people become hostile and lose their minds.  I've been a sports fan for many years and you learn to take the good with the bad.

And there it is in a nutshell folks...we aren't the WORST fans in the league...we're the most passionate (right up there with Canadiens fans, and media). Heck if we didn't expect our boys to win every game and the cup every year then we would be horrible fans. You know who has horrible fans? Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary etc. They are just WAY TOO DUMB to be NHL fans...good thing they don't have real NHL teams in their cities. HA!

PS/ GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

Passionate fans who care (too deeply in many cases) for their team should never be called the, "worst fans in the league". That should be reserved for the apathetic groups in Florida, Carolina and Arizona who in spite of $5 tickets, that come with a beer and parking, still aren't interested in watching NHL hockey. Canuck fans have watched their team build to multiple President's Trophies, and a Stanley Cup Final appearance, only to see it all slip away with a long re-build in front of us. It's frustrating as hell when you have to start wondering if the Canucks will win a Cup in your life-time. That said, I think we have good people running the team, and my hope is ownership will allow them to do what's necessary to build a contender, not just a team that limps into the play-offs and gets pummelled in the first round.

13 hours ago, brilac said:

I expect the Canucks to play well every time.  If they don't win, it's like - huh?!  I am a spoiled hockey fan.  I pay big bucks to see them play at Rogers Arena, so I expect a win. Tickets are not cheap!   And I expect them to make the Playoffs every year, and I walk around thinking how they are the best, and no one equals them. 

The idea behind this post pretty much sums it up I think.

Expectations are resentments in waiting.  If we are expecting the same results with a team that is a shadow of the 2011 Stanley Cup finalists, then of course we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Many posts continue to lay it out there... The Canucks are NO LONGER the 2011 team.  They are a team patched with youth, leftovers and stop gaps.  What we are seeing in our team is a result of previous management decisions to go all in to win, but making poor decisions in the process.

I think, with most fans, expectations have changed.  We will not win every night, in fact not every team will win every night.  We may not make the playoffs this year, in fact only 16 of 30 team make the playoffs.  Adjusting our expectations of the team must happen.

My frustration lies with a seemingly high level of ignorance from Benning regarding our defense, WD's seemingly inept line adjustments, and the heavy pressure that is forced upon our rookies early in their development as a result of this.  My expectations have adjusted to seeing progress in rookie development and systems consistency with a night in and night out dedication to work ethic.  

I was given 2 tickets to next week's Ranger's game otherwise I wouldn't be going. $100 for 2 tix is pretty expensive for me but if I knew I would get my money's worth I'd splurge. But sadly, you never know which Canucks team is going to show up. Lately it's been the heartless, no effort team. I'd rather spend that $100 on tix to see Abbath/High On Fire/Tribulation/Skeletonwitch. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'll get my money's worth at that show. As it stands, I'll continue to cheer the Canucks, but from the comfort of home.

I have watched several Calgary games this year and the fans are as quiet as ours if not more. Calgary had not been in the playoffs for how many years? of course they were jacked. I thought our fans were pretty good in the playoffs.

I have gamecenter and I have also noticed the volume of the canucks feed is turned way down from the other feeds. It is strange but true.

Archived