The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tikhonov (Chi)

Looks like a player who couldn't get it together in Phoenix, left to the KHL when it didn't look like he'd make it in the NHL, and is trying out the NHL again.... and not really succeeding.

27 years old. There are so many better options out there.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Looks like a player who couldn't get it together in Phoenix, left to the KHL when it didn't look like he'd make it in the NHL, and is trying out the NHL again.... and not really succeeding.

27 years old. There are so many better options out there.

The Coyotes completely rushed this guy to the NHL. They should have left him in junior or the minors for years before even thinking NHL but it seemed that Gretzky wanted to make a statement with youth. Almost sounds familiar........ 

Meh, Coach Q has given him like 5-9min TOI most games. Guy once played between Tarasenko and Kovy and Kovy and Panarin. I wouldn't be that opposed to seeing him play a couple games at C with Higgins and Vrbata. Can't really get much worse offensively (even in terms of SOG), might come with a chip on his shoulder from being waived while buddy Panarin lights it up.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Higgins - Tikhonov - Vrbata

Kenins/Baer - Horvat - Burrows

Prust - McCann - Dorsett 

If he looks terrible after even one game he can be waived again..

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Meh, Coach Q has given him like 5-9min TOI most games. Guy once played between Tarasenko and Kovy and Kovy and Panarin. I wouldn't be that opposed to seeing him play a couple games at C with Higgins and Vrbata. Can't really get much worse offensively (even in terms of SOG), might come with a chip on his shoulder from being waived while buddy Panarin lights it up.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett 

No thanks. I think there have been far better options for us that have already gone through waivers. There will likely still be better options for us going through waivers in the future.

As much as I've love to be able to sign every player on the planet to the Nucks, we have a contract limit and need to decide who would work best for us rather than just saying "he played with these players who are not on our team".

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

No thanks. I think there have been far better options for us that have already gone through waivers. There will likely still be better options for us going through waivers in the future.

As much as I've love to be able to sign every player on the planet to the Nucks, we have a contract limit and need to decide who would work best for us rather than just saying "he played with these players who are not on our team".

Haha, yeah, I don't really care either way about Tikhonov. I think he has a lot of offensive abilities, he was one of the best players in the KHL the last few years and Bowman obviously saw something with him and he hasn't really been given any chances in Chicago. So, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Benning claim him and give him a game or two with some offensive responsibility, but if Benning doesn't think it's a good idea, that's fine too. Low risk, medium reward/doesn't really matter type move. 

Kind of a poor man's Chris Higgins. Decent defensively, versatile, some offensive potential, can play all three forward positions but doesn't really seem to excel at anything. A decent plug to have as a 13th forward. Not really an upgrade on Crackell, I'd say pass. 

If he was a little bit more established down the middle, and could win faceoffs at 50% he would be worth the risk. But as a winger, we have Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins, Vey, Jensen vying for an opportunity. Centre is not so great with Vey, Jones, Friesen, and Labate as our options. 

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett 

I agree. He fits in the right age range, has the ability, and has an acceptable contract. I couldn't see the harm with our current injuries. 

He'd be a worthwhile risk to take. Understands the D side of the rink and has a little jam. He's played well in international tournaments against the best so it might be as little as finding the right comfort level. His English is ok too so he has less of that adjustment problem Russians are subject to. 

Really...to replace more years of blank drafting, he'd add depth that could make moving other guys easier. 

And you never know. Could find his game for us. 

Archived