The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Which Decade?

Nuxfanabroad

Question just popped up in my mind. Which was our WORST drafting decade, in the team's history?(1970~'79; '80~'89, etc...)

Which was our best? The current one we're in(2010~onwards)?..that would be mostly speculative, at this point.

Last Q..Our best pick ever? Defined as beneficial to the franchise, regardless of round chosen.

Worst decade: 1970's(started with Tallon, & missing GP), 90's honourable mention(passed by Jags; though we grabbed twins)

Best decade: current(one thing JB seems to rule at)

Best selection ever: Linden. Great career, & subsequent deals brought us massive treasure.

edit:title change

Best selection ever is a tough one to call. Do you mean the best player we've ever drafted in general? No question it's Bure. Best draft pick for the franchise? Linden. When you consider every aspect of a player: skill, what they did for the city and community, how they moulded a franchise, hands down it has to go to Henrik.

I would say drafting hasn't really been a known science until the last decade or so.  With that said Detroit did a great job paving the way.  JB could go down in history as another path creator with his expertise if he can finish his careers masterpiece.  building a cup contending dynasty who can show up and be the cherry on his cake.

'95-'98 was pretty terrible. 2006-2010 may have been the worst drafting we've seen, but it wasn't the entire decade. Earlier in the '00s, we drafted Schneider, Bieksa, Kesler, and Elder, so they were good at least. 

It's too early to tell for sure, but 2012-2014 is looking very promising, we'll see.

It seems that no entire decade has been entirely bad for drafting. 

As for other good periods, there is 1978-1985, during which none of our 1st picks were really busts. We picked the likes of:

• Stan Smyl ('78 - 40th)
  • Curt Fraser ('78 - 22nd)
  • Bill Derlargo ('78 - 4th)
  • Dirk Graham ('79 - 89th)
  • Brent Ashton ('79 - 26th)
  • Rick Vaive ('79 - 5th)
  • Patrick Sundstrom ('80 - 175th)
  • Doug Lidster ('80 - 133rd)
  • Rick Lanz ('80 - 7th)
  • Petri Skriko ('81 - 157th)
  • Garth Butcher ('81 - 10th)
  • Michel Petit ('82 - 11th)
  • Dave Lowry ('83 - 110th)
  • Cam Neely ('83 - 9th)
  • J. J. Daigneault ('84 - 10th)
  • Igor Larionov ('85 - 214th)
  • Robert Kron ('85 - 88th)
  • Jim Sandlak ('85 - 4th)

Also, from '88 to '90, we picked (in order) Linden, Bure, and Nedved.

35 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Question just popped up in my mind. Which was our WORST drafting decade, in the team's history?(1970~'79; '80~'89, etc...)

Which was our best? The current one we're in(2010~onwards)?..that would be mostly speculative, at this point.

Last Q..Our best pick ever? Defined as beneficial to the franchise, regardless of round chosen.

Worst decade: 1970's(started with Tallon, & missing GP), 90's honourable mention(passed by Jags; though we grabbed twins)

Best selection ever: Linden. Great career, & subsequent deals brought us massive treasure.

Tallon was a good pick.  He just looks bad compared to Perreault, who we never had a chance to pick anyway.  Today, the fan base is constantly complaining because we don't have a defenceman like...DALE TALLON.

In the 1970s, we also drafted Rick Vaive.  It's not the scouts' fault that we traded him away, but he had three 50 goal seasons in a row after we traded him.  That makes him the best goal-scorer this team has ever drafted besides Bure and perhaps Neely.

And during the 1970s we also drafted:

Stan Smyl (retired number, captain of 1982 finals team)

Thomas Gradin (ring of honor)

Don Lever (Canucks captain and former team ironman record holder)

Dennis Ververgaert (held the NHL All-Star Game record for fastest goals, four 20-goal seasons for the Canucks)

MIKE ROGERS (multiple 100-point seasons in the NHL - he played in the WHA after we drafted him, but he is very close to the best draft pick the Canucks have ever made)

Harold Snepsts (ring of honour, 1982 finals, NHL all-star game)

Ron Sedlbauer (40 goal season)

Rick Blight (three straight 20-goal seasons for the Canucks)

Glen Hanlon (solid NHL starting goalie)

Murray Bannerman (NHL all-star goalie)

Bill Derlago (40 goal season)

Curt Fraser (important part of 1982 finals team)

Brent Ashton (998 NHL games)

Dirk Graham (Selke Trophy winner)

We drafted pretty darn well in the 1970s, truth be told.

13 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

'95-'98 was pretty terrible. 2006-2010 may have been the worst drafting we've seen, but it wasn't the entire decade. Earlier in the '00s, we drafted Schneider, Bieksa, Kesler, and Elder, so they were good at least. 

It's too early to tell for sure, but 2012-2014 is looking very promising, we'll see.

It seems that no entire decade has been entirely bad for drafting. 

As for other good periods, there is 1978-1985, during which none of our 1st picks were really busts. We picked the likes of:

• Stan Smyl ('78 - 40th)
  • Curt Fraser ('78 - 22nd)
  • Bill Derlargo ('78 - 4th)
  • Dirk Graham ('79 - 89th)
  • Brent Ashton ('79 - 26th)
  • Rick Vaive ('79 - 5th)
  • Patrick Sundstrom ('80 - 175th)
  • Doug Lidster ('80 - 133rd)
  • Rick Lanz ('80 - 7th)
  • Petri Skriko ('81 - 157th)
  • Garth Butcher ('81 - 10th)
  • Michel Petit ('82 - 11th)
  • Dave Lowry ('83 - 110th)
  • Cam Neely ('83 - 9th)
  • J. J. Daigneault ('84 - 10th)
  • Igor Larionov ('85 - 214th)
  • Robert Kron ('85 - 88th)
  • Jim Sandlak ('85 - 4th)

Also, from '88 to '90, we picked (in order) Linden, Bure, and Nedved.

We crushed it at the 1979 draft.  We just traded them all away before they became good.

2 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Not sure how we can count the current decade when it hasn't really played itself out yet.

It is certainly speculative as you say...which pretty much excludes it from the conversation if we are dealing with absolutes.

Yes, & I've stated before I'm 99.9% certain that I competely HATE when p think in absolutes...

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Tallon was a good pick.  He just looks bad compared to Perreault, who we never had a chance to pick anyway.  Today, the fan base is constantly complaining because we don't have a defenceman like...DALE TALLON.

In the 1970s, we also drafted Rick Vaive.  It's not the scouts' fault that we traded him away, but he had three 50 goal seasons in a row after we traded him.  That makes him the best goal-scorer this team has ever drafted besides Bure and perhaps Neely.

And during the 1970s we also drafted:

Stan Smyl (retired number, captain of 1982 finals team)

Thomas Gradin (ring of honor)

Don Lever (Canucks captain and former team ironman record holder)

Dennis Ververgaert (held the NHL All-Star Game record for fastest goals, four 20-goal seasons for the Canucks)

MIKE ROGERS (multiple 100-point seasons in the NHL - he played in the WHA after we drafted him, but he is very close to the best draft pick the Canucks have ever made)

Harold Snepsts (ring of honour, 1982 finals, NHL all-star game)

Ron Sedlbauer (40 goal season)

Rick Blight (three straight 20-goal seasons for the Canucks)

Glen Hanlon (solid NHL starting goalie)

Murray Bannerman (NHL all-star goalie)

Bill Derlago (40 goal season)

Curt Fraser (important part of 1982 finals team)

Brent Ashton (998 NHL games)

Dirk Graham (Selke Trophy winner)

We drafted pretty darn well in the 1970s, truth be told.

I remember that Mike Rogers..nifty little skill-guy, wasn't he? Forgot we drafted him.

Also recall that '78 draft. We had a good, up & coming team around 1980. Prob was them damn Oilers.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I remember that Mike Rogers..nifty little skill-guy, wasn't he? Forgot we drafted him.

Also recall that '78 draft. We had a good, up & coming team around 1980. Prob was them damn Oilers.

Yeah, kind of a Ray Ferraro sized guy.  Three 100-point years in a row in the NHL but nobody remembers him, kind of like Kent Nilsson.  If we'd had him in the lineup in 1982, along with Brent Ashton and if Dirk Graham had been developing with the Canucks instead of college or wherever he was...who knows what could have happened.

Rogers would have been the most skilled player we'd ever had up until Bure arrived.  All we would have had to do was make him an offer and convince him to play for us instead of in the WHA.  Oddly, he was one of those players (there were a few) who had much more success in the NHL than in the WHA.

3 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Best selection ever is a tough one to call. Do you mean the best player we've ever drafted in general? No question it's Bure. Best draft pick for the franchise? Linden. When you consider every aspect of a player: skill, what they did for the city and community, how they moulded a franchise, hands down it has to go to Henrik.

Hmm... Henrik but not Daniel? Why...? 

Can't shake off the feeling that Daniel is underrated among the fans compared to his brother.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

22 minutes ago, khay said:

Can't shake off the feeling that Daniel is underrated among the fans compared to his brother.

BURE brought something to this organization that nobody has ever come close to.  He had everyone sitting on the edge of their seat and he was the REASON that I am a Season Ticket Holder today.  Favourite person (even though he treated me kindly whenever I saw him) no, but favourite player - I'd say yes. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

We crushed it at the 1979 draft.  We just traded them all away before they became good.

Boy,did we ever.. 1st round..Bill Derlago

2nd round..Curt Fraser

3rd round..Stan Smyl

1st round..Rick Vaive

2nd round..Brent Ashton

It's painful to think that we gave up the future of the team (Derlago and Vaive) to get the likes of Dave 'Tiger' Williams...He was a good player and brought some short term success (82 cup run),but the reality hit very very hard after that (the Coliseum was half empty)...The team went into a steep decline,and never recovered until Quinn got here.

Vaive played in the NHL for 13 years and had multiple 50 goal seasons,Derlago also played for a decade with good scoring numbers..The stupidity and short term vision the management had at that time, is astounding...and we're not even talking about Cam Neely yet.

I've been a Canucks fan my entire life,but I quit watching them from 1983-87....The team was completely irrelevant .

There are very hard lessons to be learned here..namely,being impatient with young players

14 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Boy,did we ever.. 1st round..Bill Derlago

2nd round..Curt Fraser

3rd round..Stan Smyl

1st round..Rick Vaive

2nd round..Brent Ashton

It's painful to think that we gave up the future of the team (Derlago and Vaive) to get the likes of Dave 'Tiger' Williams...He was a good player and brought some short term success (82 cup run),but the reality hit very very hard after that (the Coliseum was half empty)...The team went into a steep decline,and never recovered until Quinn got here.

Vaive played in the NHL for 13 years and had multiple 50 goal seasons,Derlago also played for a decade with good scoring numbers..The stupidity and short term vision the management had at that time, is astounding...and we're not even talking about Cam Neely yet.

I've been a Canucks fan my entire life,but I quit watching them from 1983-87....The team was completely irrelevant .

There are very hard lessons to be learned here..namely,being impatient with young players

Whatever it took to make 1982 happen, I can live with.  And while I am a huge Tiger Williams fan, by 1982, Vaive was a 50 goal scorer.  Who knows what a difference he would have made in the lineup against the Islanders.  He would have been our Bossy.

And Brent Ashton was the original Mike Sillinger, with slightly better offense.  A very solid player.

Yeah, the Leafs took some great young talent away from us...but at least they never accomplished anything with them either.

The Canucks of 1983-87 were really bad.  But I found them really easy to cheer for.  They worked hard, they played hard.  They just got outclassed.  It was like George Chuvalo against Muhammad Ali.  They made a good underdog.

The Messier years were the ones where I had little reason to cheer them on.

On 13/12/2015 at 0:50 AM, khay said:

It's hard to pick just one.  Henrik has had a (slightly) more distinguished career, but you pretty much have to mention the two together.

I think Burke's maneuvering to be able to draft both Sedins doesn't get talked about enough in comparison to how genius it really was.  Pulling off that convoluted series of trades to get the number 2 and 3 picks was ballsy but paid off incredibly. Not very often you get two Art Ross winning players back to back at the same draft, especially with the 99 draft being so crappy. 

Archived