The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have the highest odds of drafting Auston Matthews as of 2015/12/22

Odd.

8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Chychrun didn't make team Canada's wjc roster? What's with that?

We should draft Alex Nylander and try to get William from the Leafs. They can succeed the Sedins.

They invited 7 LHD and only 2 RHD to camp.

They cut him not because he's bad. But because there are older/more developed players available at LHD. If he was a RHD he would have made it.

knowing the luck of this franchise. we probably won't win the lottery and we will draft 6th overall again. missing out on drafting a high end impact player. sigh. mediocrity is the curse for this franchise. we are never bad enough when we are bad. and when we are good. we are never Chicago good enough to win Stanley Cups. 

Mathews would be awesome but I would not hate it if the Canucks got a few good defensive stud in the first round. Watching teams like Pittsburgh, one can see the futility of loading up in the front while leaving nothing worthwhile in the back.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Mathews would be awesome but I would not hate it if the Canucks got a few good defensive stud in the first round. Watching teams like Pittsburgh, one can see the futility of loading up in the front while leaving nothing worthwhile in the back.

I understand your point. I say take Matthews if we win the lottery because he is by far the best player in the draft. after that. whatever picks we have left. focus on drafting as many defense man as possible. stack up the dman in the system. because with Matthews. we will have a decent core of forwards on the team. either currently or coming up the pipeline. 

i would faint if we got both Matthews and Chychrun. that would change the landscape of this franchise almost immediately. 

16 minutes ago, jejejester said:

Draft Matthews and use later picks to find your weber, Keith, klingberg

yep. it's what I've been saying. agree with this approach. it's still possible to find defensive gems in the later rounds. Chara, Keith and even Subban were drafted in the second round and third rounds. I know it doesn't happen often. but it's still possible if Canuck scouts do their homework. and Benning. we are fortunate to have him as a GM in the sense of his eye for talent. I think Benning has drafted more quality players in his brief time here than Gillis' entire time with the Canuck organization. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. it's what I've been saying. agree with this approach. it's still possible to find defensive gems in the later rounds. Chara, Keith and even Subban were drafted in the second round and third rounds. I know it doesn't happen often. but it's still possible if Canuck scouts do their homework. and Benning. we are fortunate to have him as a GM in the sense of his eye for talent. I think Benning has drafted more quality players in his brief time here than Gillis' entire time with the Canuck organization. 

Still how can you pass on a Ekblad, Rielly, Jones, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson and those are top 6 picks just in the past 6 years... We can also include Doughty there. I understand the idea, d-men harder to gauge their impact and you can find gems in the later rounds but there's no guarantee either for a forward either. Pick the BPA to a point where it makes sense for your team.
For example Edmonton picking Yakupov was ridiculous, even if he actually met expectations they were obviously top heavy in the forward department already would've been far more complete with a Murray pick there.

were not drafting Mathews; If this organization saw the upcoming future holes they would care about a generational talent like Mathews or even a Chychrun, but Benning has shown me early he cares about one thing making the playoffs. The sad truth this puts the Canucks' in the 7-10 range. The problem, here you got  team like Montreal struggling to score, and we have a guy named Vrbata who could be used as a decent trade bait but again Benning won't make the moves. I can tell from Benning's early hints that he is going to keep the veterans and go for the 8th place finish. I have my early doubts and at trade deadline if he doesn't make the obvious moves which fans want because they are sick of 1st round exits, it will prove to me Benning is not the guy. The manager we need is a guy with gutts and a guy who is not afraid to ruin this love party the remaining core has going on and you know the guys who need to be moved and replaced with younger talent. Eg a griener who has paid his dues. 

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

were not drafting Mathews; If this organization saw the upcoming future holes they would care about a generational talent like Mathews or even a Chychrun, but Benning has shown me early he cares about one thing making the playoffs. The sad truth this puts the Canucks' in the 7-10 range. The problem, here you got  team like Montreal struggling to score, and we have a guy named Vrbata who could be used as a decent trade bait but again Benning won't make the moves. I can tell from Benning's early hints that he is going to keep the veterans and go for the 8th place finish. I have my early doubts and at trade deadline if he doesn't make the obvious moves which fans want because they are sick of 1st round exits, it will prove to me Benning is not the guy. The manager we need is a guy with gutts and a guy who is not afraid to ruin this love party the remaining core has going on and you know the guys who need to be moved and replaced with younger talent. Eg a griener who has paid his dues. 

Every organization should care about making the playoffs...
On Vrbata and Prust my opinion is reserved until the trade deadline. I think if we are on the bubble you gotta pull the trigger on the UFAs to get some future talent back.
On tanking, honestly what Buffalo did last year should be penalized by the league. Clearly they were making moves to lose games which doesn't bode well to an organizations image.

Matthews / Chychrun may be top elite players but theirs no guarantee that they will help us in the next two years while we have Sedins still. Clearly would still be nice to have either in our system but that doesn't necessarily equate into a stanley cup.

11 hours ago, goblix said:

On Vrbata and Prust my opinion is reserved until the trade deadline. I think if we are on the bubble you gotta pull the trigger on the UFAs to get some future talent back.
On tanking, honestly what Buffalo did last year should be penalized by the league. Clearly they were making moves to lose games which doesn't bode well to an organizations image.

Matthews / Chychrun may be top elite players but theirs no guarantee that they will help us in the next two years while we have Sedins still. Clearly would still be nice to have either in our system but that doesn't necessarily equate into a stanley cup.

I'm not saying tank and lose every game, but I'm saying move the assets that are UFAs atleast. This is the year and Benning said it himself that its a deep draft, so why not get picks?

and let's this team makes 6th place by TDL, then what? they don't move Vrbata?

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I'm not saying tank and lose every game, but I'm saying move the assets that are UFAs atleast. This is the year and Benning said it himself that its a deep draft, so why not get picks?

and let's this team makes 6th place by TDL, then what? they don't move Vrbata?

valid concerns, but no point in getting over a tizzy about it until it actually happens. Pretty much blaming someone on something that you think he's going to do but hasn't done yet.

3 hours ago, goblix said:

The league changed the lottery rules shortly after the draft. Now the first 3 picks are lottery picks. This doesn't necessarily penalize Buffalo directly. But the league may suspect certain teams of tanking last year and are trying to discourage this strategy anyway they can.

Sedins are the only guys over 30 yrs old I'd keep. Find a way to convince all those no-move no-trade contracts to agree to move. The team will get a high pick and have massive cap space next year. I'd love to see us get Mathews. McDavid Gaudreau Mathews in the same division and in our building the next decade would be magic. 

14 hours ago, smokes said:

Kind of like a reverse mullet. We should go for Juleovi.

Archived