The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have the highest odds of drafting Auston Matthews as of 2015/12/22

Odd.

12 minutes ago, Qwags said:

If we made the playoffs, would we still be able to get a high draft pick?

the placement is base on record, the lottery is for the teams that dont make the playoffs and is incrementally worse odds for the ones who are higher ranked. Teams in the playoffs have no chance on moving up to the top 3 based on this lottery system.

There is also a caveat where if you make the conference finals you are stuck at the 26th and 27th pick depending on the other teams points for the season. the bottom 2 picks are depending on who wins the stanley cup (the 30th) and the runner up stuck with the 29th pick.

So depending on the teams who make it deep into the playoffs, any team who made the playoffs can technically move up to 4 spots but never above the 16th pick.

Example: Calgary last year had a higher draft pick than us last year, we had the 23rd if they made it to the conference finals they'd have to drop to the 26th overall pick which would in turn move the teams between Calgary's placement and the 26th pick up one slot. We in turn would've drafted 22nd overall.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I understand that but you should realise most Canucks fans probably like to see them keep winning because that is the only guarantee of success. Not a No 1 -3 draft pick. That's how I see it anyway.

Totally fair. I tend to think with young players being so coached up these days that there are very few top 5 picks who bust out. I have no data to back it up but I feel like forwards in particular are 'fairly' safe bets. I'm much more leery of dmen and goalies however. Bottom line for me is I'd rather see the Canucks with a Mathews type player with our young core than another couple of years of Burr or Higgins etc. 

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Can Canucks winning the lottery and drafting Matthews be my Christmas present please?

That would be one really, really, late Christmas present.

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Getting Matthews would be fantastic.  I don't understand why people think that we will finish last.  That is not going to happen unless Daniel or Henrik are injuried.

Have you looked at the standings? It isn't out of the question even with the twins in the lineup. Sure the Canucks are in a playoff spot, but the winning % is also horrible.

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

I know a lot of fans would hate the idea of a poor season ,but the Canucks are in desperate need of a few top end draft picks.Mcann and virtanen are showing flashes.....what would it be like with two or three more young guys that age to start building back up from.

The 3 brightest spots for the future are Horvat, McCann, and Virtanen. How did we get them? By trading vets for picks and having a horrible season.

Even Demko may not have been available if we weren't picking early in the 2nd round too.

3 hours ago, homersexual said:

That would be one really, really, late Christmas present.

Have you looked at the standings? It isn't out of the question even with the twins in the lineup. Sure the Canucks are in a playoff spot, but the winning % is also horrible.

Yes but we are only warming up. I think we are pacing ourselves and the inclusion of Suter and Sbisa has got to help us, based on their form when they were injured. I also think there is a strong chance we might see Gaunce and maybe even Grenier after the New Year - 2 big bodies for the run in.

That could be 4 x 6'+ players coming into the team for the run in. Man I'm excited.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Yes but we are only warming up. I think we are pacing ourselves and the inclusion of Suter and Sbisa has got to help us, based on their form when they were injured. I also think there is a strong chance we might see Gaunce and maybe even Grenier after the New Year - 2 big bodies for the run in.

That could be 4 x 6'+ players coming into the team for the run in. Man I'm excited.

I will be excited as well if that much youth sees any amount of significant TOI.

From a PPG perspective Vancouver's top talent IMHO is McCann and Horvat. That is not a put down of Virtanen's potential as I see him as a long term physical presence with some offensive upside. From a team perspective all these players are elements of a contending team. What Vancouver does not have is a #1 offensive player or #1 defensive player in their prospects. This is why I still want the Canucks to drop down into a top 3 draft position. Even though Benning has drafted well to date it will take that kind of draft position to set the Canucks up for serious playoff contention in 3 to 4 years.

Unfortunately for fans it means missing playoffs this year and likely next couple of years. Once the Twins retire (2 more years?) the full weight of the team success will fall on very young shoulders. This is why high draft picks are a absolute necessity as the depth of Canuck prospects is not great. Even if all this comes to pass there are no guarantees. IMO the Jets are a good example of this. I think their management has done a good job since moving to Winnipeg and yet they are still struggling for playoff success.

I am not sold on the idea of retaining a lot of vets. I would keep the Twins (not tradeable or I would) and another 3 core players. Hanson, Edler and Burrows/Dorsett and move the others based on deals that bring a good return/picks. Of course I am exempting any of the young players who are the 27 and younger time liners.  

I really don't think Austin Mathews is going to the Canucks anytime soon. No matter how bad the Canucks get, I refuse to believe that they will continue to be a bottom feeding team. The personalities in management and the players just simply wouldn't allow it. So unless Austin Matthews has dropped off, I'm thinking at best, Vancouver will be picking the 8-12 range unless the lottery really puts it in the Canucks favor.

Vrbata should get us a late 1st rounder this year.  Hamhuis could also get us a first?  More likely a 2nd and 3rd.  For a SC contender this is the proven cost of established vet UFAs at the deadline.  Unless we are looking good come trade deadline time this will happen.  If Benning wanted to sign Hamhuis or Vrbata long term the deals would already be done.  The writings on the wall.  I also think it's time to move Burrows and waive Higgins.

We will sign defensive help in the offseason.  Yandle is a possibility?  Maybe even Byfuglien?  First we need to shed some salary!

18 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I highly  doubt the team is only warming up! The season is over 1/3 of the way in and our win percentage is still atrocious. There are no indications that this team is any better than it has been over the past 30 games. Having said that I am not complaining, I realize that this rebuild is a process and I don't expect miracles, I have seen some pleasant surprises in the development in some of the young players, Baertschi, Mccaan, Markstrom and others. However I would be surprised on anything other then the current trend of win a couple lose a few. I can only hope for some Spring Surprise at this point

not convinced that the Canucks make up points when Sutter and Hamhuis comes back. in some sense. I hope they get worse. so that we finally have a chance to draft a franchise altering player. we need at least one of those players if we are going to be set for the next decade at least. mcdavid would've been nice. but a moot point now. Matthews is the next best thing. if we aren't getting worse. then it's only a matter of time. what I don't understand how ownership and management don't seem to understand is that in order to get better. we'll have to get worse first. most if not all franchises go through these cycles. it's normal. some may take longer than others. and this is assuming that drafting and trading has been done well. we need a high end elite talent. this franchise after the Sedins are missing that. McCann and Horvat are going to be good players. maybe even great. but I don't known if I could or would call them elite talent. but they are and will be very good players for this franchise moving forward. Matthews though. is a cut above McCann and Horvat. 

56 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If it were only that easy.

Finding a Weber, Keith or Klingberg in a later round will be just as hard as drafting Matthews. 

Just take a shot in the dark for two drafts. Accumulate as many picks as we can get and only draft right handed d-man until 2018.

We're bound to get lucky.

Archived